Status: Hang on to something, you're in for one heck of a ride!

Got to Get You Into My Life

Got to get you into my life

Paul would be the perfect father, at least she believed he would be. And if the way he had treated her these past few months was any indication of that, he would be a very kind, thoughtful, and loving father indeed.
He doted on her, pampered, and spoiled her. The more her belly grew, the more he did so.
She asked him one day why he had been spoiling her so, and his answer was priceless...
"You're my baby, and you're carrying my baby. Why wouldn't I spoil you?"
"Awww... I love you James Paul McCartney.."
"I love you too Emma Isabella McCartney..... and what do you think you're doing?!"
"I'm gonna wash the dishes.."
"Oh no you're not... You go put your feet up this instant.. Your ankles look like they're starting to swell up."

Emma slowly sashayed up to him, with a grin on her face..
"Yes Paul...., anything you say.." she draped an arm around him, running the other hand down his bare chest, while planting a small kiss on his cheek.
A smile spread across Paul's face, as his arm instinctively wrapped around her.
"You know I always do as I'm told.."
"Haha.....not always luv, or I wouldn't have to spank your bottom once in a while."
"Well, maybe I like a spanking once in a while... cause you know, a good spanking never hurt anyone."
"Alright you..."laughed Paul.
"Off with you now, go lay down.." with those words spoken, he delivered a slight swat to her bottom, as he kissed her. She giggled and obeyed.

Now in her eighth month, her ankles were indeed swelling, and she had begun not to feel at her best. Paul was right to make her rest as much as she could, and despite her strong will, and need to still be independent, she knew he was.
She laid back on the sofa, trying to get comfortable, but her back hurt so much, it was nearly impossible. She tried countless positions, but nothing helped.
About thirty minutes later Paul walked into the living room, and knew straght away that something was wrong. All colour had gone from her face, and despite her trying to hide it, he knew she was in pain, and had even been crying.
"Baby, are you ok?" He asked, as he rushed to her side.
"I don't know, I.... I don't feel well, and my back hurts so bad."
"Right... I'm getting you to hospital right now... just give me a tick to go get your case."

Her suitcase had been packed weeks before, and sat at the ready near their bedroom door. Paul retrieved it, took it to the car, then returned to help his wife off the couch, out the door, and into the car.

It was a bright, crisp September day, a bit of a chill hung in the air, but was still fairly comfortable outside.

The birds were singing, high up in the trees, happily preparing for winter, but Paul took no notice of them, as he sped out of the drive, and down the busy London street, headed for the hospital.

Other motorists who got too slow, and stopping without signaling, got a barrage of curses, insults and other colourful language from Paul, as his pregnant wife sat crying in pain in the car, beside him.
Soon they had arrived, and Emma was wheeled back very quickly, as Paul filled out the necessary paperwork. The hours slowly went by, as labor intensified, and Emma, as tired, and in pain as she was, begged for Paul to be allowed in. As a rule, men never came in with thier wives in the labor room, but on this day, Sept 19th, 1969, Emma McCartney changed that.
As a nurse and the Doctor explained to her that her husband, no matter how famous he was, was not allowed in labor and delivery. Emma, grabbing the Doctor by the tie, quickly made him relent.
"GET MY MOTHER****ING HUSBAND IN HERE NOW!!!"
"Umm... nurse, would you mind going and finding Mr. McCartney please?" The nurse obeyed, as she rolled her eyes, and mumbled a few choice words under her breath.
Emma released his tie, as anorher pain hit her.. Paul was quickly found, scrubbed up, suited up, and led into where Emma was.
"Now luv, I hear you've been giving these Doctors a hard time..." Paul chuckled.
"Paul.... I can't do this without you!"
"Shhh.... it's alright, now let's have this baby, ok luv?" Emma nodded.
A different nurse came into the room, gentler and kinder than the last nurse, and reassured her everything would be ok.. She dabbed Emma's forehead with a wet cloth, as a different Doctor came in.. He checked, and informed her it was time to push.

The Doctors had talked to them, and had almost decided to try to give her drugs to hold the baby in, as it was still a month early. But the baby appeared to be healthy, so they went ahead with the delivery.
With Paul at her side, along with the kind nurse, Emma called upon every bit of strength she had to get through it. It was a difficult delivery, as the baby seemed to be stuck in the birth canal. And the Doctors even considered a c-section, but she eventually pushed the baby out..
"It's a girl!" The Doctor exclaimed.
They laid the infant on her belly, as Emma tearfully reached for her. The nurses took over, and cleaned the baby up, wrapped her in a blanket, and handed her back to her mother.
Both Paul and Emma were in tears as they gazed at this tiny miracle in Emma's arms.
"Here Daddy, hold your daughter." Emma said, handing her to him.
"Hey there darling, I'm your Dad..." Paul beamed, as tears rolled down his cheeks.
"So, what shall we call you?"
Emma looked over at the kind nurse...
"What's your name?"
"Angelina Janette, me father named me. My mum wanted to call me Nicole, but he wouldn't hear of it.." she laughed.
"Paul, can we name her Angelina Janette?"
"Hmmm....let's see... what do you think little one? You know, I think she looks like an Angelina Janette..."
"Aww... well I guess we have two Angelina Janettes..." said the nurse.
"But I think we need to let her mum feed her... oh, that reminds me, are you planning on breast feeding, or bottle feeding?"
"I don't know, what do you think, Paul?"
"Well, it's really up to you luv, but me mum breast fed me.. and I turned out alright..." Paul smiled.
With that, Paul handed the baby back to her mother...

Not long after, Emma was allowed to sleep... But an hour later there was a problem.

Emma's blood pressure seemed to have lowered, and her heartrate dangerously climbed well above what it was supposed to be. Upon further checks, the nurses discovered she was hemorrhaging.
All attempts to stop the bleeding failed, and Emma began to weaken, as her blood pressure continued to drop. Paul, who had gone to the waiting room to take a nap, was awakened.
"Mr. McCartney, there seems to be a problem..."
"What is it? Is the baby ok?"
"Yes, the baby is fine... It's your wife..."
"What's wrong?!" Paul shouted.
"I'm afraid she's hemorrhaging, umm.... it's called postpartum hemorrhage. We need your permission to take her into surgery."
"What are you gonna do?" Paul was in tears now.
"We need to perform an emergency hysterectomy."
"Yes, what do i need to sign?"

Two hours later, Emma was out of surgery, and was starting to improve. When Paul walked in her room, Emma had come around..
"Paul.... I can't give you anymore children...." with that, she burst into tears. Paul rushed to her side, and threw his arms around her.
"Shh....it's alright..."
"You're not upset?"
"Baby, no... I thought I was gonna lose you.. We have a beautiful daughter, and i still have you.. that's all I care about." Paul held her, till she calmed down. Then the nurse returned with some medicine to help her sleep.

And so began the next chapter in their lives as parents. Out of their love, new life had been created, a seven pound baby girl, who had been named after a kind nurse...

Angelina Janette McCartney lay in the arms of the one who's name had been given to her, sucking her thumb, as the original Angelina rocked her to sleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm not sure if the father was allowed in labor and delivery in England in the 60s, but for the sake of my story, they are.