Drown

one

"$24.98 is your total." The cashier says, his dark brown eyes glance up from the screen to meet mine. "I've never seen you here before." He says with a hint of accusation.
Lindsey nudges my arm, and I realize I've been staring for far too long. "Oh, yeah, my family just moved here a few days ago." I respond, digging through my wallet for cash.
"What's your name?" He asks as I hand him the money.
"Tyler," I respond as heat rises to my cheeks.
"I'm Lindsey." My sister steps up, extending her hand forward. He shakes it gently.
"Dylan." He says smoothly.
"Nice to meet you, Dylan." Lindsey says, batting her long eyelashes. I roll my eyes and reach for the brown paper bags of groceries.
"Hey, there's a going to be a bonfire down by the pier tonight. You should come." Dylan says, flashing a small, perfect smile. His hand brushes lightly against mine as he hands me the last bag.
"We'll be there," Lindsey says flipping her long red hair over her shoulder as she saunters to the door. I follow her outside to the car.
"We're not really gonna go, are we?" I ask as she pops open the trunk and I load the bags in.
"Why not? I don't want to be the awkward new kid when school starts in the fall."
Right, like you have ever been awkward.
"We've got three months of summer. I don't want to waste that hanging out with just you, no offense... I just want to meet people, and explore. Plus, that guy was totally hot, and totally into me."
She really does think everything is about her. I roll down the car window and rest my arms over the side. It's warm, but a cool breeze leads us on our drive home.
"I bet he has hot friends, too."
For someone who has known me my whole life, Lindsey still doesn't get it. Hot boys are just that, and not a priority in my life.
We pull into the driveway of our new home. Lindsey darts for the front door leaving me to fetch all of the groceries.
"Mom, we're home!" Lindsey calls out. I set the groceries on the kitchen counter. Mom comes in through the back door. Her strawberry blonde hair pulled into a messy bun atop her head. She's dressed in tattered clothes and gardening gloves, a smudge of dirt across her cheek. The sight warms me.
Lindsey takes after her, appearance wise. They have the same red hair and hazel eyes. I take after my dad with moussey brown hair, and boring brown eyes. Dad always says I look just like his mother. I've only seen pictures as she died before I was born. I don't see it.
"Great, you get everything on the list?" She asks, looking through the bags.
"Of course." Lindsey responds.
"Great, great. I'll get dinner started!"
"Hey mom." Lindsey says, resting against the kitchen island.
"Yes, dear?"
"I got invited to a little get together at the pier tonight, is it okay if I go?" Lindsey inquires.
"Of course, just, uh, just bring your sister." Mom responds unpacking the grocery bags.
I glance at Lindsey and she smiles. It's a devious, almost boastful smile." I shake my head in disapproval and disappear upstairs to my room.
Only a few boxes left to unpack and I'll finally be settled in. Luna, our mutt, lies spread across my neatly made bed, not budging even as I sit beside her. I should really finish unpacking, but my copy of Into the Woods is calling my name, so I settle into my comfy bed and dive into the worn pages.
"Which outfit do you think is cuter?" Lindsey asks, barging into my room. I hadn't realized I started dozing off.
"Can you please knock? Jesus." I snap as I sit up and rub my eyes.
"Sorry, were you napping? It's almost dinner." She says with an eye roll. "Anyways, which outfit?" She nudges Luna off my bed, who plops to the floor with a long sigh, and lies out two outfits: a light blue jean skirt paired with a white, long sleeve, off the shoulder top, and a short floral printed dress with a low cut back.
"Um, the dress?" I respond and set my book on my bedside table.
"Good call." She says, holding the dress up to herself and checking herself out in my full length mirror. "What are you going to wear?" She asks, sliding open my closet door.
"This?" I gesture to the outfit I have on - a comfy pair of leggings and zip up hoodie.
Lindsey shakes her head with a look of disgust. "Uh, no. But I think I have just the thing."
"I look ridiculous." I complain as I pull down the slip like dress Lindsey practically forced me into.
"No, you look hot!" She exclaims.
"You're literally only saying that because I am wearing your clothes." I cross my arms over my chest.
"Well, yeah. But they look hot on you! C'mon, you've got a great bod, you've got to show it off a little." Lindsey says, shimmying my hips as we stand in front of the mirror.
"I feel uncomfortable." I complain.
"Here," She tosses me a jean jacket which I happily slip on. "Okay! I'm ready, let's get out of here."
I stuff my book and phone into my backpack before following Lindsey downstairs. Mom and Dad are snuggled up on the couch together watching Wheel of Fortune.
"Alright, we're off." Lindsey says, fetching the car keys from her brown, leather shoulder bag.
"When will you be home?" Dad asks, not bothering to look up from his program.
"I don't know, probably around one?"
"Okay, well call if you need us." Mom says.
"And Lindsey, give the keys to your sister if you drink at all tonight." Dad says with an emphasize on the word all.
"I will, Dad." Lindsey rolls her eyes. "Now can we go? We're late."
"Yeah, yeah, get out of here. Have fun. Love you." Dad responds but Lindsey is already half way out the door.
"Love you," I respond and head to the car. The drive to pier is quick. We fly through the windy roads lined with tall evergreens.
"Do you see anywhere to park?" Lindsey questions as we drive up and down the parking lot.
"Right there." I point to a spot in the distance.
"The whole town has to be here!" Lindsey exclaims excitedly. "Aren't you excited?" She asks giddily.
"Just ecstatic." I respond, not even attempting to hide my distaste.
"God, you're such a Debby downer. Can you at least act like you want to be here and not ruin this for me?"
I roll my eyes and hop out of the car, slinging my small backpack over my shoulder. I follow Lindsey as she makes her way down to the beach where a large bonfire burns. Somewhere, someone is blasting an old hip hop song that can barely be heard under the chatter. Lindsey shimmies just a little as she makes her way through the crowd. It makes me happy to see her in her element, but I wish she would respect that this is just not mine.
I wait until she starts talking to a group of girls before I step away from the crowd and head down the beach. I plop down onto a large piece of drift wood and dig around my backpack for my book. There's a little less than an hour left of sunlight before it gets too dark to see the pages and I intend to take full advantage of it.
"Who brings a book to a party?" An unfamiliar voice asks from beside me. I look up at the tall stranger to my left. He looks to be about my age, with long brown hair that hangs messily in his face. He's dressed in dark jeans and a leather jacket; not really the type I'd imagine to be here.
"Oh, uh, I'm not really the party type." I respond.
"Then why come?" He questions. His deep blue eyes look into mine in a way that makes me feel almost naked. I suppress a shiver.
"My sister dragged me here." I look towards the fire to see Lindsey laughing and enjoying herself.
"Good choice," He says, gesturing to the book.
"It's one of my favorites."
"You're not from here." His eyes narrow. Why is everyone so accusing?
"How does everyone know that?"
"It's a pretty small town." He chuckles. "Why here?"
"My dad's work relocated him."
"Ah, well how do you like it?"
I shrug. "Haven't been here long enough to decide if I do or not."
"Hey! You made it!" Dylan's voice calls. "I was starting to think you bailed!"
"Yeah, she didn't really give me a choice." I respond, lazily pointing towards Lindsey.
"Why are you all the way over here?" He asks.
"I was just talking to -" I pause as I turn to see the tall stranger walking away. "Oh."
"Don't mind him," Dylan shrugs. "I brought you a beer." He extends a solo cup in my direction.
I take it, and set it down on the log beside me. I tuck my book back into my backpack and swing it over my shoulder.
"Not much of a drinker?" He asks, running his hand through his hair, I noticed he does this when he's nervous.
"Not really, no." I shake my head gently.
"That's okay, just hold onto it and it'll give everyone the illusion that you're cool." He teases.
"Who says I'm not cool?" I respond and we share a chuckle. This is easy.
"I don't know, I just get the feeling that Lindsey's the cool sister." He says and we both look her direction just in time to watch her down a swig off a strangers flask.
"You're probably not wrong."
"Would you maybe want to dance?" He asks shyly. Kind of odd for a guy like him to be shy.
"Oh, I'm really not much of a dancer."
"Have you ever actually tried?"
"Does alone in my room count?"
Dylan chuckles, "C'mon. It's easy." He extends his hand out to me. What am I doing? Before I can stop myself, I take his hand and let him lead me closer to the music and the crowd. In one smooth motion, he spins me around to face him, places my arms around his neck and puts his hands on my waist. My cheeks grow warm, and I'm suddenly very thankful for the red glow of the fire. I let him guide my hips in a swaying motion, and have to remind myself to stay loose and not stiffen up.
"So how do you like it here so far?" Dylan asks, tucking a stray piece of hair behind my ear. His fingers are warm as they brush my cheek.
"I've only been here a week."
"So, that's long enough to decide if you like it or not."
I shrug.
"Dylan!" A voice shrieks from behind me. My arms drop to my side and I have to resist covering my ears.
"Hey Tia, how was your cruise?" Dylan asks with a warm smile. The beautiful, tall blonde girl is obviously intoxicated.
"Oh, it was so much fun." She slurs, her eyes struggling to stay open.
"Is this your girlfriend?" She asks, wiggling a finger in my face. I take a step back to avoid losing an eye. "She's so pretty, Dylan!"
Dylan chuckles as Tia leans on him for support.
"Uh, I'm not - "
"There you are Tia. Let's get ya home now!" A short blonde girl approaches.
"No! I'm having fun!" Tia says before making an escape into the crowd.
I shake my head and let out a long sigh. "Do you know everyone here?" I ask.
"Pretty much. It's kind of what happens when you live in one place your whole life."
"I've moved so much, I don't think I've ever known what that's like."
"It's alright. Tia's right though."
"About what?"
"You are pretty." He says and I can't help but roll my eyes. "Okay, I know you're probably used to living in your sisters shadow your whole life, but you have to know how beautiful you are. I mean, yeah she's pretty too, but she tries too hard. It's refreshing to be around someone who doesn't think so highly about themselves."
What am I doing? Why can't I stop? The little voice in my head screams as I lean forward and press my lips to his.