‹ Prequel: In Your Arms Again

The Hunt Is On

1

They were at Bobby’s for a few days, before Dean started getting restless and got Sam to find them a case. By the following morning, they were on the road in the Impala and heading to Kansas. Leaning forward between the back seats, Elle watched as Sam reached over to change the music and chuckled when Dean slapped his hand away with a playful glare.

“You know the rule, Sammy, driver picks the music…” Dean started.

“Shotgun shuts his cake hole,” Sam finished dejectedly, “I know.”

Sitting back, Elle grinned as the brothers bickered and jumped out when Dean pulled into the parking lot of a convenience store. Wandering off to get herself some candy, she picked up what she wanted and joined Dean at the checkout.

“I got you a few cans of that vanilla float Dr Pepper you like,” Dean told her, wrapping his arm around her shoulders and kissing the side of her head as Sam joined them.

“Thanks.”

“We should be in Kansas in about an hour,” Dean told them, once they had paid and were heading back to the car, “We’ll get a room sorted out once we get there and Sam can go get us some dinner, since we cooked at Bobbys.”

The rest of the drive was filled with conversation about the case and they were sure that they were dealing with vampires, but they wouldn’t know until they investigated properly. Renting them a room once they arrived at the motel, she told Sam what she wanted and took her bag inside.

Hearing the door close behind her, she turned around and chuckled as Dean pulled her closer to him. Cupping her cheek, Elle closed her eyes at the familiarity that his touch brought and melted into his embrace as Dean’s lips connected with hers.

Running her fingers down his spine, she pulled him flush against her and focused on the feeling of his heart beating in his chest. For her it wasn’t about the intimacy of the moment; his lips against hers were reassurance that he was truly alive and for a few minutes nothing else existed outside of their bubble.

Pulling back to catch her breath, Elle rested her forehead against Dean’s and smiled as he gently pressed another kiss to her lips. Knowing that Sam would soon be back with their food, she reluctantly moved away from him and looked towards the door as Sam walked in.

“I’m not so sure that we’re dealing with vampires anymore,” he said, setting the bag of food on the table as he continued, “I overheard some deputies discussing the murders and apparently, the bodies were found untouched at the crime scenes.”

“Untouched?” Elle repeated with a frown, “Vampires would have left behind puncher wounds and they’re not known for being particularly careful with their victims, although in a small town like this, they could be trying to not draw attention to themselves.”

“Okay, so we need to check out the coroner’s report and see what they came up with,” Dean added, sitting at the table and taking a bite of his burger as the others started eating, “We’ll get started in the morning.”

Happy for an early night, Elle managed to fall asleep quickly and woke up the following morning feeling good. Smiling when Sam handed her a cup of coffee, Elle sat down next to him and pulled the laptop over to see what he had found.

“What did you find?” Elle inquired as Sam clicked a link.

“One of these days, you’re going to take that laptop and discover that Sammy has been watching porn,” Dean teased from where he was sitting on the bed.

“I’d worry about that if it was you,” Elle countered, causing Sam to laugh and grinning over at Dean, “Who’s going to see the coroner anyway?”

“I was thinking that you and Sam could go,” Dean suggested.

“What are you going to do?” Sam asked with a frown.

“I’m going to hit the town,” Dean replied with a shrug, “You two can handle the coroner’s office on your own, right?”

“Of course,” Elle answered, throwing Sam a worried look and standing up to get changed.

Finding that Dean had already left when she returned, Elle followed Sam outside and climbed into the Impala. She knew that Dean was struggling with being back, it wasn’t hard to see and what hurt most about the whole thing was that he refused to let them in to help.