‹ Prequel: In Your Arms Again

The Hunt Is On

3

Approaching the farm house, Elle watched as Dean knocked on the door and waited to see if anyone would answer. Spotting a truck parked around the side, she went to check it out and carefully placed her hand on the hood. Feeling heat coming from it, she knew that someone was home and made her way towards the barn. Knowing better than to walk into a building unarmed, she pulled her pistol and went inside.

Thrown into the pitch darkness as the door swung closed behind her, she removed her flashlight from her belt and switched it on. The barn was eerily quiet as she moved through it, frowning when the sound of a girl whimpering reached her ears and rounding the corner to find several large metal cages lined up against the wall.

Scanning her surroundings, she found that she was alone and crouched down next to the first cage with a grimace. Covering her mouth as the smell of decaying flesh hit her, she gagged and checked the other cages until she reached the final one that held a frail looking teenage girl.

“Hey, I’m not going to hurt you…” Elle told the terrified girl, using the butt of her gun to smash open the lock and helping the girl out, “Let’s get you out of here.”

Leading the girl back towards the door, Elle heard the distinct sound of movement from somewhere in the shadows and raised her gun. Shining her flashlight in the direction of the noise, she cursed as the light revealed three pissed looking vampires and fired a single shot when one of them lunged at her.

“Hunter,” the vampire stated, swinging a fist at Elle’s head and snarling as she buried a slug in his stomach.

“El,” Dean shouted as the large main doors were opened, flooding the building with light and taking away the vampires’ advantage.

“Nice of you to join me,” Elle snapped, pushing the girl towards Sam and catching the machete he tossed to her.

Standing next to Dean with the machete in hand, Elle tightened her grip as two other vampires appeared from the direction of the house and attacked without pause.

Managing to take down three of the five, Elle didn’t notice the sixth step out of the darkness behind her and groaned as he threw her into the wall. Struggling to her feet, she watched as the newcomer stalked towards her and quickly realized that she had dropped the machete during her unplanned flight. Seeing that Dean had his hands full, Elle knew that she was one her own and threw her arm up to block the vampires first punch. Quickly finding herself pinned to the ground, she struggled to get free and collapsed in relief as Sam decapitated the vampire that was only moments away from burying its fangs into her neck.

Pushing the vampires body away from her, she took Sam’s offered hand and smiled at him as he helped her to her feet. Swaying as the barn spun around her, she grabbed Sam’s arm and closed her eyes.

“Are you okay?” Dean asked, once they made sure the girl was okay and were on their way back to the motel.

“I’m fine,” Elle mumbled, although her head was pounding, and she felt sick.

“That cut above your left eye looks deep,” Sam commented, “You might need some stitches.”

“I’ll check it out when we get back,” Dean added.

Reaching the motel, Elle headed inside without a word and went into the bathroom. Looking in the mirror, she examined the cut above her eye and took a seat on the edge of the bath tub as Dean joined her.

“I’m going to go get some coffee,” Sam told them, poking his head around the door, “Do you guys want anything?”

“Coffee sounds good,” Dean agreed as he finished up.

“I’m good thanks.”

“You won't need stitches, but you’re probably going to have a headache for a few days… do you want me to get Cas down here to fix it?” Dean inquired, clearing everything away and following Elle over to where the beds were.

“I’ll survive,” Elle replied, sitting on the bed and retrieving some pain killers from her bag, “I’m just going to take these and crash for the night, I’ll feel better in the morning.”

“Okay.”

Not having the strength to confront Dean about his reckless behaviour, Elle laid down and allowed the darkness to pull her under.
♠ ♠ ♠
One Chapter left of this part!