Condolences

Brian Investigates

"So what? He just sits and watches the funerals?" My friend Matt asked as I slipped a wine. I nod and he frowns. "That is fucking weird, Brian,"

"It's get weirder. He somehow got into my office the other day," I replied, thinking back to it. Matt rose an eyebrow as our friend Johnny came over with a long island ice tea and a beer. "I had locked up and everything but he got in and when I asked what he wanted he just said he wanted to meet me out of curiosity,"

"That is fucking weird," Matt replied, shaking his head. "Who would willing watch funerals or break into a funeral home?"

"Maybe he likes Brian," Johnny laughed, wiggling his eyebrows. I shook my head.

"I bet he goes to other funerals," I mumble, sipping my wine again. "What's really odd is he disappeared. I should have seen him walking away or driving away but there was no cars or anyone in the street,"

"He vanished into thin air?" Johnny asked. "Creepy,"

"Totally. Brian, you should have him removed if he turns up again," Matt replied. "Does he go to other funerals?"

"I don't know," I reply. "I think I'll ask Jimmy. He'll know,"

Both of them nodded and drank their drinks. I finished up mine then said my goodbyes and headed home. I didn't live too far from the bar so I was walking home. I hummed to myself as I thought about the weirdness of the situation and who he was. What drew him to funerals? Did he just lose a lot of people in his life? I frowned to myself as I reached my home and dug the keys from my pocket. I unlocked my door and let myself in before shutting it and putting the keys in a bowl by the front door. I sighed and kicked off my shoes, grabbing the phone and dialling Jimmy's number. Jimmy was a friend of mine and worked as a funeral director too so if anyone turned up to funerals, he would know.

"Hello, Duckman speaking,"

"Hey Jim,"

"Bri, how's it going?"

"Ok thanks," I reply. "I've got a question for you,"

"Shoot,"

"There's a guy who keeps turning up to funerals," I mumble. "Dark haired, very pale, slightly chubby, bright green eyes, looks like a rocker,"

"Ah I know who you mean. Don't know his name but he's always at funerals and always alone," He replied. "Some of the other funeral directors believe he collects the souls and swear he's been going to funerals for decades. There's even pictures of him from the victorian era or so they say. Is he been going to yours?"

"He broke into my office," I replied.

"What?"

"He didn't take anything or do anything and no lock was damaged but he just wanted to meet me," I replied. "Weird right?"

"No kidding," Jimmy replied. "Be careful,"

"I will,"

~Time Skip~

I noticed him straight away. This funeral was quiet. The man was not very popular so it was cheap and easy. Cremation. Only one of his children turned up, along with a handful of people and the mysterious mourner. I walked over as everyone else began to leave the church. He didn't look at me and for a minute, I didn't think he noticed me.

"Are you just gonna stand there or are you going to ask?" He asked, looking at me.

"Why are you here?" I asked. He looked at me. "Seriously? Don't you have a less morbid hobby?"

"You wouldn't understand," He replied, looking back at the front. I frown and go to walk away. "I find it beautiful,"

"What?" I asked, facing him. He looked at me with a serious look.

"Death. I find it beautiful,"

"Why?"

"I have my reasons," He replied. "Maybe one day I'll tell you but for now, I think I'll keep it to myself for you would not understand,"

He turned to me.

"Good day," With that, he walked away, leaving me more confused then ever.

(***)

I frowned to myself as I flicked through the photos I had gotten Jimmy to send over. He had been collecting them from other funeral directors since he was an apprentice and all of them were of the mourner. In every photo, he is sat in the same place, looking at the casket. The modern ones I could easily explain as a man with an weird interest but some of these dated back to the mid 1800s. I rubbed my eyes and looked at them again. It's definitely the same man over and over again. He hasn't aged a single day, only his fashion has changed as he sits in the same places so he's not a ghost but a human can't live that long. I shake my head and put the photos away before taking a slip of the wine I had. I sighed to myself and laid down on my bed, staring at the ceiling. I closed my eyes for a minute then opened them as sunlight flooded into my room. I guess I fell asleep. I got up and looked around. The sky's a burning color as the sun rises and I groaned to myself, flipping it off. I quickly get dressed and head to Huntington's Nursing Home.. Jimmy's grandfather lives here and since his funeral home is a family ran busines, I figured if anyone could tell me more, it was his grandfather. I walked past the desk and headed towards Mr Sullivan's room, knocking on the door. I come here a lot with Jimmy so no one's really bothered by my present.

"Come in," An old voice gasps. I walk in and sit down as Jimmy's grandfather holds an oxygen mask to his face. "Brian, it's nice to see you,"

"Likewise," I smile.

"You look like shit," He grins.

"Yeah. Bad night's sleep,"

"What was her name?" He wiggles his eyebrow and I laugh.

"Nothing like that," I reply, taking out one of the photos. "Can you tell me who this is?"

He takes the photo and looks at it. His brows narrows as he thinks and I feel like giving because he probably doesn't know him.

"I don't know his first name but I've heard other directors calling him Mr Baker," He replied, handing it back to me. "Some say he's Death itself. other say he's a tormented soul,"

"What do you think?" I ask. He looks around.

"Vampire," He replies. "I think he's a god damn blood sucking vampire,"

"Vampire?" I mumble. "Makes sense,"