Growl

1

When Lexi had first been told that they were moving to her dad’s old hometown, she had been both excited and nervous about the fresh start. Moving around as much as they did, she never really had time to make friends, but her dad had promised that Forks was their last move and she believed him.

Forks wasn’t a big town and her dad already knew a lot of people, including the Quileute tribe at the reserve, which had become like a second home. Listening to her iPod as she made her way over to the reserve to see Jacob and the others, she found that she couldn’t shift the feeling that she was being watched.

Taking in her surroundings, she couldn’t see anyone around and concluded that it was just in her head. Knocking as she reached Jacob’s house, she waited for someone to answer and headed up to Sam’s when nobody did. Discovering that he wasn’t home either, Lexi frowned and wondered why Billy had invited her to the reserve if no one was around. Turning to leave, she spotted Sam emerge from the woods with Jacob and the others close behind.

“Hey Lex,” Jacob said, smiling and pulling her into a hug.

“Hey,” Lexi replied as she hugged the others.

“Are your mom and dad coming to the bonfire as well?” Jacob inquired as they all entered Sam’s house.

“I’m not sure, dad said that they had some stuff to sort out with Harry or something,” Lexi told them as she took a seat on the counter next to Paul, who bumped her shoulder with a grin, “I guess they’ll come over after that.”

“Dad’s telling the Quileute tribe legends tonight,” Jacob stated, knowing how much she liked the stories and the history of their people.

“There’ll be barbecue food as well,” Embry added as he wrestled with Jared to get the last cookie, which Sam grabbed off the plate and handed to Lexi who smiled, “Hey… no fair.”

“Does your mom need any help with the food preparation?” Lexi asked Leah as she leaned against the counter beside her.

“Yeah, she told me to take you over when you got here, but we can hang out for a bit first.”

Glancing over at Sam, Lexi noticed that he was watching her and offered him a warm smile which he returned. Following Leah over to her house a while later, Lexi grabbed a knife from the block and started on chopping the vegetables for the kebabs.

It was starting to get dark by the time Lexi finished, heading over to where the guys were already sitting and taking a seat on the ground between Sam’s legs. Billy told the story of the Quileute’s ancestors and as always Lexi listened with rapt attention, finding that she never got bored of hearing them. By the time he finished it was late and Lexi was dozing off with Sam’s arms wrapped around her, his warmth enveloping her like a blanket.

“I’ll let her dad know that she’s staying here the night,” Billy said as Sam carried her to the house and laid her on Jacob’s bed.

Lexi’s sleep was filled with nightmares and it wasn’t long, before she was waking up with tears streaming down her face. Tensing as Jacob rushed in, she moved over to let him sit down and relaxed as he pulled her into a hug.

“Are you okay?” Jacob inquired.

“Is Sam okay?” Lexi added, feeling dread and panic rush through her as she replayed him getting ripped apart in her head.

“I’m sure he’s fine, did you have another nightmare?”

“There was a group of wolves and one of them got attacked, but when I looked again it wasn’t wolves that I saw anymore… it was you and the others,” Lexi rambled, knowing that she wasn’t making any sense, “The wolf that got attacked was Sam and he was really hurt, Jake…”

“It was just a nightmare, Lex,” Jacob reassured her, but Lexi couldn’t help thinking that there was more to it and that Jake knew more than he was saying.