Growl

2

The following morning, Lexi woke up with the same dread she had felt after her nightmare and headed out of the house to find Jacob talking to Sam. Relief washed over her as she approached them, and Sam pulled her into a tight hug, but her nightmare remained fresh in her mind.

Staying with them for about an hour, she headed home and got ready for school. School was always the same, she saw the same people and ate the same terrible food but there was one thing that was different. Sitting at the lunch table, Lexi glanced up as the Cullen’s walked in and was surprised to find that they were all watching her.

Returning her attention back to her food, she finished eating and headed to Biology with her friends. Taking her seat next to Eric, Lexi couldn’t help looking over at Edward Cullen, who was still staring at her and frowned in confusion.

By the end of the school day, Lexi was fed up of being stared at weirdly and left school. Spotting Bella waiting by her truck with her nose buried in a book, Lexi made her way over and cleared her throat, making Bella jump.

“I’m sorry,” Lexi said with a chuckle, “I didn’t mean to scare you.”

“It’s fine,” Bella replied, closing her book and smiling at Lexi, “I kinda thought that you were avoiding me since you didn’t say hi to me this morning.”

“Of course not… I do have something to ask you though.”

“What’s up?” Bella inquired.

“Do you know why Edward and the others have been staring at me all day?”

“I don’t know,” Bella stated with a frown, but Lexi could tell that she was lying and that annoyed her even more.

Everyone at the reserve was hiding something from her; the Cullen’s were acting weirder than usual and Bella knew more than she was saying. Muttering a quick goodbye, she turned and walked away, spotting Edward standing not too far away watching the two of them. Heading home, Lexi hung her bag up and made her way to the kitchen where she could hear her parents talking.

“She deserves to know the truth,” her dad said, “Every time she goes up to the reservation, she’s in danger of getting hurt and finding out the truth on her own.”

“If we tell her, it will turn her world upside down, Brad,” her mum argued, “Everyone that she thought she could trust has been keeping this huge secret from her and I don’t think she’ll be able to handle it…”

“What huge secret?” Lexi asked, pushing open the door and looking between her parents, waiting for someone to explain what was going on.

“It’s nothing to worry yourself about sweetheart,” her mom promised but Lexi didn’t believe her.

“I know that something is going on,” Lexi added, “Everyone up at the reservation has been spending way too much time in the woods together, the Cullen’s have spent all day staring at me and Bella lied to my face… I want to know what’s going on.”

“Why don’t we sit down and talk?” her dad suggested, earning a nod from Lexi and leading her into the front room. Sitting down opposite them on the couch, she watched as her parents looked at each other and listened as her dad started talking, “You’ve always been a huge fan of the Quileute tribe legends about the wolves and the cold ones, but you’ve always believed that they were just stories.”

“What’s that got to do with anything?”

“Lex… those stories have far more truth behind them than you know, for generations the Quileute have had a pack of wolves protecting their lands and keeping away unwanted visitors,” her mom explained, causing Lexi to frown and suddenly everything clicked into place.

“Sam, Jake and the others are wolves?” Lexi inquired, frowning at the thought and looking at her parents like they were mad, “That makes the Cullen’s vampires because that’s what the cold ones are…”

“I told you she wouldn’t believe us,” her mom stated.

“Why would she… it’s not like she’s been having the strange nightmares or anything.”

“How do you know about my nightmares?”

“I had them too,” her dad admitted, “My parents were both Quileute and my dad was a part of the wolf pack, but I never inherited the shapeshifting gene…”

“That means I’m half Quileute, can you inherit the ability to shift if you’re not full Quileute?”

“We don’t know.”

Staring for a few seconds trying to digest everything she had just discovered, Lexi shook her head and rushed out of the house.