Growl

3

She didn’t know where she was planning on going, but she soon found herself at the reservation and made her way over to Jacob’s house.  
  
“Hi there, Lexi,” Billy said, when he spotted her from his position outside the house, “Jake is with Sam and the others.”  
  
“I thought he would be,” Lexi mumbled, watching as he painted the wall, “Do you want some help?”  
  
“That would be great.”  
  
It was two hours, before they finished and Lexi went to Sam’s house to wait for him to get back. She had been sitting there for half an hour, when Sam approached her from the direction of Jacob’s house and she stood up.  
  
“Everything okay, Lex?” Sam asked as he came to a stop in front of her.  
  
“I had a strange conversation with my parents about the secret that everyone has been keeping from me,” Lexi replied, “The Cullen’s kept staring at me today in school and I honestly thought that I had done something to upset them, but I had no idea what. I know that you and the others are wolves, that the Cullen’s are vampires and that Bella lied to me because she knows it too. What I don’t understand is why you lied to me?”  
  
“I wanted to tell you, Lex,... we all did, but your parents thought that it was best you didn’t know,” Sam explained as he took a cautious step forward, “They didn’t want you to have to worry about anything like that yet, plus the pack were in full control of their emotions around you... we were just trying to protect you.”  
  
“Protect me... you died in that nightmare I had last night and I felt it,” Lexi shouted as tears rolled down cheeks, “All this time... all this time and I haven’t even known the real you. I don’t know what to do anymore, Sam, it’s like I’ve walked into this strong group of people and I don’t have a place among them.”  
  
“Lex, we never wanted to hurt you and you will always belong with us,” Sam told her as Paul and Jake approached the house, “Nothing has changed, the way we feel about you and the friendships that we’ve established have nothing to do with us being wolves.”  
  
“I’m scared,” Lexi whispered, causing Sam to cover the space he’d left between them and pull her into a tight hug.  
  
“There’s absolutely nothing to be scared of,” Sam promised her and Lexi relaxed into his warmth, wrapping her arms around his waist, “Come on, how about we camp out like we used to tonight?”  
  
Lexi nodded in agreement, glancing over at Jake and Paul who both smiled at her. Lexi was close to everyone at the reservation, but she had always looked at Sam differently to the others and she knew that it was the same for him. She was collecting firewood at the edge of the woods a few hours later and like before, she couldn’t shift the feeling of being watched.  
  
Scanning the trees, she spotted someone standing in the distance and frowned. With her attention on the stranger, she didn’t notice Seth walk up behind her and jumped as he put his hand on her shoulder to get her attention.  
  
“Anything good out there?” Seth inquired with a chuckle, “You’ve been staring for the last five minutes.”  
  
“There was someone out there,” Lexi told him, looking over at Seth and then back to where the person had been standing moments before.  
  
“We should go tell Sam.”  
  
“Tell me what?” Sam added as he joined them.  
  
“Someone was out in the woods,” Seth replied.  
  
“What did they look like?”  
  
“They were too far away to see much, but it was definitely a man and I’m pretty certain that it wasn’t the first time he’s been watching me,” Lexi admitted.  
  
“Let’s get back to the group,” Sam suggested, putting his arms around Lexi’s shoulders and leading her back over to where the guys had set up camp.