Lost in the Shadows

Six

While Heidi was getting involved with a surfer party on the beach and then being kidnapped by the motorcycle gang, the Frog brothers were in their shop and looking up as much as they could about vampires. They always knew that something strange was going on in Santa Carla but they had always just figured that it was teenage nonsense that maybe one day they would understand.

The idea that vampires existed only made an astronomical amount of sense to Allan and Edgar the more they looked through the comics about the creatures in their parents’ shop. They had read thousands of comics but their favorites were about superheroes. Creatures of the night had always been just as boring as the next story.

As they looked through the pages and found something useful, they would throw it in a pile on the table. “Allan, what if vampires don’t exist? Could you imagine a creature only coming out at night?” He truly wanted to believe but it sounded a bit outrageous. He stopped believing in vampires, aliens, and werewolves years ago. There was never any proof to him but for once, he wanted to be the superhero and save the day.

Allan threw a stupid comic on the floor and sighed. “Santa Carla is full of research that says that vampires exist. Don’t you start giving up hope. We will be able to prove that they do exist. Heidi seems cool and she’s a popular. Hot chicks like her don’t just call bad boys like that vampires with no reasoning.”

Edgar kept looking through pages until something peaked his interest. His eyes opened wide and he stood up. “Ways to kill a vampire! Stake it through its heart or throw holy water on it. If you’re in an Italian food mood, go ahead and hand him over a piece of garlic.” He looked at Allan and smiled. “I think we just found something cool. It says you can also kill one by shooting it with a blessed bullet!”

Allan flipped through pages and ignored his brother. “Comics always only say that dudes are vampires. You never hear about female vampires but that would be hot. I’ll play you $10 if you are ever able to get a date with one.”

Allan’s comment made Edgar furious. He threw a comic book from the trash at him. “I’d rather keep my blood. Thanks though, for the test.”

The boys looked for hours for some information on blood suckers. Allan looked up at his brother. “You and I need to make a pact this time. If a night gazer gets one of us then we must stick together. If I die trying to kill one, then you die too.”

That was no music to Edgar’s ears hearing him say that. “Hey, neither of us are going to get taken. Alright? The vampires had once been human just like us. If we can die then so can they. They can’t simply be stronger than us just because they’re vampires. This is a dangerous business we are going in but if we use our brains than nothing can stop us. We will defeat evil with its face towards us and we will prevail in saving Santa Carla.”

“I believe it. Those blood suckers are going down as soon as we see them.” Allan smirked and looked out the door for a moment. It was getting darker and darker out. While neither of them would say it, they missed Heidi. They had not seen her all day and were starting to expect the worst.

Edgar shook his head and before he bumped his brother on the head with a comic, he turned to the cash register to make sure their parents were too out of it to pay attention to what they were doing. The boys had grown used to their parents acting out of it all the time. The boys had witnessed the two pop something in their mouths and go to sleep. What the boys were worried about was the fact that their parents never gave their sons the time of day.

Allan stood up and read a comic out loud. “Vampires Everywhere. From the flames of Hell! You are mine!” He repeated the name of it and flashed it up. “I think we may have just found our holy grail, Edgar.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I won't be able to post tomorrow night so here's a little french scene for you!