Status: in progress

Promises to Keep

questions?

"You're a little drunk" Tayla laughed, letting Nick into their room.

"I am not drunk" Nick defended, flopping onto the bed. "Okay, I'm drunk" he admitted, and Tayla laughed. "Did you finish your article?"

"All finished and submitted. I still feel a little guilty about it though" she confessed. The game was horrifying, and there wasn't many good things she could say; besides maybe the last three minutes when they finally decided to actually show up.

"Guilty why?" Nick asked, wondering if she would open up more.

"I never like writing negative articles about the Stars- it feels weird" Tayla confessed. "So I try and draw anything positive I can. Tonight was hard, but the last three minutes were something, at least" she added, closing the laptop on the desk.

"Or you don't like writing anything negative about Tyler" Nick slurred out.

"Of course not, he's my friend" Tayla replied to the strange question, but she let it slide and didn't give it much thought.

"You've been friends for awhile" Nick said out of the blue, as Tayla began to get ready for bed.

"Uh, yeah. Since we were kids" Tayla told him, slightly confused.

"That's a long time" Nick commented, his eyes fluttering open and shut; he was barely able to stay awake.

"Yeah it is pretty long, I guess" Tayla laughed. "Our parents were really close friends. So naturally, I guess we just became pretty close throughout the years" she added, confirming Tyler's version of their relationship, not that he believed that he was lying 100%.

"How close?" Nick asked, and Tayla was confused. He must be drunk; he was beginning to ask very strange questions.

"You should get ready for bed- you look like you're going to pass out any second" Tayla teased, heading into the bathroom to grab her toothbrush. Nick was too drunk to try and get any further information he was seeking, so he nodded in agreement.

His suspicions still remained, however. He had a sneaking suspicion that there was more to Tayla and Tyler's relationship then she let on. He felt fairly confident that Tayla was hiding something about it; I mean why else would she change the subject so much? He was certain by the way Tyler was talking to him that he was right. The only way he was going to get answers was from Tyler.

"Yeah" Nick slurred, shimmying up the bed. He kicked off his shoes and pants in a very swift movement, and collapsed underneath the blankets. "Come to bed" he then added, patting the left side of the bed.

"In a minute" Tayla rolled her eyes, going to the bathroom to brush her teeth. On the bathroom counter was her cellphone, which lit up with a text from Tyler just as she was about to pick it up.

Tyler 12:03 a.m.

how bad is it?

Tayla 12:04 a.m.

not as bad as you think. I tried to keep it positive for game two

Tyler 12:04 a.m.

I don't think there was anything positive to draw from that game. :(

Tayla 12:04 a.m.

You scored!! that's positive

Tyler 12:05 a.m.

not really, Tay. we lost 7-1. that's pretty bad

Tayla 12:05 a.m.

well yeah, there's no sugar coating that

Tayla 12:05 a.m.

but I have full confidence you'll pick your game up for game two. you guys are all resilient and
determined

Tayla continued to brush her teeth as she awaited Tyler's response.

"Are you coming to bed?" Nick yelled out, already feeling half asleep.

"In a minute!" Tayla called, though it was hard to understand her with all the toothpaste in her mouth.

Tyler 12:06 a.m.

thanks Tay. just feeling pretty bummed about it all

Tayla 12:07 a.m.

I know Ty. But you can't let it eat at you too much. ultimately, you need to accept it was a shit
game. accept it, learn from it, and draw from those few minutes where you found your game. except, you know, bring it for the full 60 mins :P

Tyler 12:09 a.m.

lol WOW... I know you're right tho

Tayla 12:09a.m.

I know. Usually am ;)

She turned off the bathroom light and peered over at Nick, who was now sound asleep, snoring slightly. She laughed, rolling her eyes. She was surprised Nick had gotten drunk at the hotel bar, especially so quickly. He was only down there for maybe a little over an hour.

Tyler 12:10 a.m.

alright now, let's not let your ego get too big

Tayla 12:11 a.m.

it's just science

Tyler 12:11a.m.

it's not science whatsoever....

Tayla 12:11a.m.

that's what you think :D

Tyler 12:12 a.m.

ANYWAY. Early practice tomorrow...

Tayla 12:12 a.m.

Ya I know. Have a good sleep. I'll probably see you tomorrow at some point

Tyler 12:13 a.m.

Look forward to it. Nighty night

Tayla 12:13 a.m.

Night Ty

She put her phone down on the bedside table and plugged it in. It lit up, with a notification she had 16% battery left, but it was beginning to charge. Though tonight didn't go as planned, Tayla was very confident in Tyler, and the rest of the Stars. She was certain they would be able to pick up their game for game two.

They were staying for game two, before heading back home to Dallas. Cassidy would watch game three before returning home, and Tayla would continue to watch the games, and travel as required throughout the remainder of the playoffs, to ensure top coverage. Katie was usually free and would be able to travel freely with her, though Nick would not be able to get as much time off.

Regardless, Tayla felt confident that the Stars would be winning game two. She was certain she would be able to continue travelling, all the way to when they would travel out east for the Stanley Cup finals. She didn't think by their regular season performance they were contenders this year, but, as they always say, once you make it into the playoffs, anything can happen. Sometimes, all it takes is for you to get there, and anything can happen. Lucky and unlucky bounces, hot streaks and cold streaks.

As she closed her eyes and drifted off to sleep, she vaguely wondered why Nick was asking some seemingly strange questions, but was too tired to linger on the thought for long; she was asleep before she could put much thought into it.