Status: in progress

Promises to Keep

confession

"I can't believe it..." Tyler trailed off, sitting down and sighing in disbelief.

"Well believe it baby, you did it!" Tayla cheered, wearing a prize winning smile on her face. "See, I told you! Did I not tell him?" she turned to Cassidy, who laughed and nodded.

"She did tell you, Ty"

"Just... wow. Round two here we come!" Tyler said it out loud, though it still didn't seem real. It didn't seem real that despite being down two games to none in the series versus the Golden Knights, yet had won the next four games straight to take the series in six games. It didn't seem real he had scored the game winning goal in the last two games of the series, one in double overtime in game number six, sending Stars fans into a frenzy. He was certain he had never heard the arena that loud before; it gave him chills just thinking about it.

"Who comes next?" Cassidy asked, popping a grape into her mouth.

"Depends on the outcome of the Kings and Sharks series, which is going to game seven" Tayla confirmed, looking at the score on her phone. "So you guys still have a few days rest, at least" she added, and Tyler nodded, looking nervous.

"Exciting stuff" Cassidy answered, sipping from the red solo cup.

"Is that beer?" Tyler asked, an eyebrow raised.

"What? No..." Cassidy trailed off, taking another sip.

"That's beer, isn't it?" Tyler narrowed his eyes.

"It's wine" Cassidy replied weakly.

"Wine? Wine!?" Tyler scoffed. "You're not even legal Cass"

"I am home" she snapped, rolling her eyes. "Don't be such a overprotective turd" she added.

"You gave that to her, didn't you?" Tyler asked Tayla, turning his attention to her.

"Don't be such an overprotective turd" she repeated what Cassidy had said, and they both giggled.

"I don't know why I put up with you guys sometimes" Tyler rolled his eyes, with a small smirk.

"You love us" Cassidy stated with a shrug. "Besides, I'm not a little kid anymore. You know I can take care of myself" she pointed out.

"I'm not overly fond of a bunch of drunken idiotic hockey players hanging around my sister" Tyler informed them, speaking honestly. "And speaking of which, they'll be here soon" Tyler got up, making sure everything was set.

"It's all going to be fine" Tayla rolled her eyes at how paranoid Tyler was being. Little did she know, he had every reason to be paranoid.

**

"Yup, drink up!" Tayla yelled over the loud thumping of the music. Jamie and Katie rolled their eyes and took the last of their drinks, admitting finally to defeat. Cassidy and Tayla high fived; they were undefeated tonight in the great game of beer pong.

"Knock-knock" Cassidy asked Jamie and Katie.

"Uh- who's there?" Jamie asked, confused.

"Unde" Cassidy replied.

"Unde who?" Katie wrinkled her nose in confusion.

"UNDEFEATED" both Tayla and Cassidy yelled at the same time, high fiving once more.

"Oh my god" Jamie rolled his eyes. "How did we not see that coming? We've got the queen of lame
ass jokes, and her minion"

"Excuse me, I'm the princess" Cassidy informed Jamie, and all four of them laughed.

"You guys are all lame" Tyler intervened.

"You love my jokes" Tayla pointed out, resting an arm on Tyler's shoulder, even though he was significantly taller than she was.

"I wouldn't say love..." he trailed off with a smirk, and flinched when he got a light smack in the stomach from Tayla who frowned.

"It's definitely love" Tayla grumbled bitterly. "I'll be right back, I need some air" she suddenly felt sick.

"You ok?" Tyler asked, but he never got an answer, for Tayla had escaped out the back door, and ran to the side yard where she threw up the contents of her stomach. Tyler had tried to find her, but she was so quick to weave her way threw the crowd in his home, he lost track of her.

"Tayla"

Tayla's head shot up immediately; she recognized the voice all too well.

"Why are you here?" she asked bitterly, spitting on the ground and standing up. She wasn't drunk by any means, but the fast drinking coupling with the pizza and chips she had been snacking on while playing beer pong didn't make for a good combination.

"I want to talk" he pleaded.

"We've talked enough" Tayla told him, wishing Tyler had followed her outside. She knew he would be looking for her; she hoped he would find her, and quickly.

"I don't think we have" Nick replied sincerely. "Look, I know I was acting crazy and jealous, but can you just talk to me? For a bit?" he asked once more.

"Fine. Speak" she snapped, shivering slightly.

"We got along great" Nick began, speaking from the heart. "We have so much in common, and I love spending time with you, talking with you... it's amazing. I feel this connection with you I've never felt with anyone else. I- and I think I'm falling in love with you" he whispered his confession, and Tayla eyed him with skepticism.

"How can you say that you're falling in love with me and treat me like you did?" Tayla asked, unsure if she was to believe him or not.

"Jealousy gets the best of us sometimes" he admitted. "I'm not proud of it. I'm definitely not proud of it. I just- I knew I had found someone special, and I didn't want to lose you- I couldn't" he shook his head. "You guys are close- I know that. He's your best friend, and I guess when I saw the two of you together you just look like you belonged.." he trailed off with a sigh.

"Like we belonged?" Tayla asked, confused. "What do you mean??" she cocked her head to the side. What on earth was Nick talking about?

"Like you belong together" Nick clarified, and Tayla's eyes widened.

"That's- that's just ridiculous" Tayla laughed it off, though in the back of her mind she thought, what was so ridiculous about it? Tyler was thoughtful, attentive, attractive, insanely attractive, funny, caring... she stopped herself dead in her tracks.

"Is it though?" Nick asked her, now seeing by the look on her face she truly never thought about Tyler that way; until now, when he put the idea in his head. He mentally cursed himself, knowing he had made a fatal mistake. There was no way he would ever be with Tayla, when she so obviously was meant to be with Tyler.

"Tay?" they heard another male voice call out. It was Tyler; he had finally tracked down Tayla.

"Over here" Tayla called, making sure not to break eye contact with Nick.

"I guess it's not... I'm sorry" Tayla whispered softly, suddenly feeling guilty.

"You don't have to be sorry" Nick assured her, smiling softly. "All I ever wanted was for you to be happy. And if it's with him, then so be it" he told her, realizing he was being immature about the entire situation.

"What are you doing here?" Tyler asked once he finally made his way over to the pair. "Are you okay?" he turned to Tayla and asked once he realized she looked like she had seen a ghost.

"I came to make things right" Nick told Tyler, though it was the half truth. His full intentions was to come and hopefully win Tayla back; but after talking with her enough, he realized it was not going to happen. As much as it hurt, he would have to accept it.

"Things are alright" Tayla confirmed, surprised at how calm Tyler was being.

"Well, good" Tyler replied, wondering if the pair had reconciled.

"See you around" Nick waved to them both, before disappearing into the darkness.

"Are you guys okay?" Tyler asked, not being able to help himself but ask.

"We're good now" Tayla replied, eyeing Tyler and realizing there was some truth in what Nick said. Maybe it wasn't something she had considered before, but was it possible? Did she have feelings for her best friend?

"Oh... good. I'm glad" Tyler replied weakly, believing she meant that they were getting back together. His heart shattered; it looked like his chance was lost again. He immediately began to plot; how could he regain his chance?