Status: in progress

Promises to Keep

the trip - part two

"Tay?" Tyler asked, immediately becoming self conscious; he was standing in his boxers.

"Good Morning" Tayla replied quietly, biting her lip. She had made a last minute choice to take a flight after the game. It was only a three hour flight, and by what she considered destiny and that she was making the right decision, the flight left in just enough time to finish watching the game, get to the airport in time, and be standing outside Tyler's door in a matter of six hours.

"What- what are you doing here?" Tyler asked, still in disbelief. Realizing he was in his boxers, he opened the door to allow her entrance to his hotel room. "How did you know what room-?" he asked, knowing the hotel staff wouldn't tell just anyone what room he was staying in.

"Jamie told me" Tayla said simply.

"Where is he anyway?" Tyler asked, wondering why his captain hadn't come back last night.

"I told him to stay away" Tayla informed Tyler simply, and Tyler grew more confused.

"Wait- why?" he asked, confused. He collapsed on the bed and sat down, patting the seat next to him. "Is everything okay?"

"I wanted to talk to you" Tayla confessed, her heart beginning to race.

"Oh?" Tyler asked, curiously.

"When Nick came over the other night, we had a conversation and I realized something..." Tayla trailed off, getting up from the bed. She began to pace, a habit Tyler knew she had whenever she was nervous about something.

"Which was?" Tyler asked, trying to help her.

"Well, he originally came over to try and apologize and win me back" Tayla stated, and Tyler felt rage bubble within him. "And I let him speak, for a bit. But, we both realized that we weren't the two who belonged together"

"What?" Tyler asked, shaking his head. He was so confused.

"He made me realize something, Ty" Tayla continued, gaining a little more confidence. "Made me realize what was in front of me all this time" she stopped pacing, finally and stood in front of Tyler. "But before I tell you, can you promise me something?"

"Of course!" Tyler told her, still wondering where she was going with this.

"You'll never leave my life" Tayla stated with worry.

"Why would I leave?" Tyler asked, genuinely confused. "I asked you to move into a new country to live with me Tay, I think it's pretty obvious I want you around" he laughed at the thought of even thinking of something so ridiculous.

"Promise me?" Tayla asked, raising her eyebrows.

"Of course, I promise. You've got me worried now" Tyler said with an awkward laugh.

"This isn't entirely how I was hoping this would go..." Tayla trailed off thoughtfully. In all truth, even though she had gone over multiple scenarios in her head in the hours she had spent on the plane, none of them seemed to be perfect enough.

"I don't know what you're-"

"I love you." she blurted out before she could stop herself. She felt her heart racing with anticipation. Tyler felt like he was dreaming. He sat in front of her, stunned into silence. "Oh jesus, I shouldn't have said anything" Tayla said wide eyed, as she waited for Tyler to say something. She turned to leave the room, but Tyler grabbed onto her arm

"No, Tay" Tyler stopped her from leaving. "Don't leave" he whispered, getting closer to her. He slipped his arms around her waist, pressing her body into his. Tayla wrapped her arms around his torso, and looked deep into his eyes.

"I love you, Ty" she repeated softly. "It took me so long to realize it..." she trailed off, not realizing how long Tyler had been waiting to hear those words for years.

"I love you too, Tay" Tyler whispered, unable to keep the smile off his face. Tyler cupped her face in his hands, and pulled her in for the kiss he had been dying for all this time. He finally pulled away, a wide smile on his face. Admittedly, it felt strange kissing Tayla, but it felt right. "I can't believe you came all the way out here" Tyler added, slightly surprised.

"You know I wouldn't miss any more games if I didn't have to" Tayla pointed out, as Tyler crawled into bed. Tayla yawned, exhausted from a long journey. "You must be exhausted" she added, yawning again.

"I've got practice in the morning... or I guess it is morning. In three hours I have to be up" he told her, wanting to continue the conversation but also exhausted from last night's game.

"We can talk later" Tayla assured him, and Tyler nodded, patting the bed next to him. Tayla was already dressed in comfy clothes and ready for bed, so she slipped in beside him, where Tyler placed another kiss on her lips, this time lingering a little longer.

"I love you" Tyler said, still believing he was dreaming.

"I love you too"

****

"You did it!!" Cassidy squealed, clapping her hands in excitement.

"Yeah, yeah" Tayla mumbled, blushing but also not being able to keep the smile off her face.

"I can't actually believe you flew out here at 4 am" Katie shook her head with a laugh. "Only you"

"I knew if I didn't just go for it I never was going to!" Tayla defended, but Katie and Cassidy were simply giving her a hard time.

"We know. We're just glad you're happy" Cassidy told Tayla, taking the last bite of her chicken Caesar salad. The three had gone out to lunch the next day, as Tyler's parents explored San Jose, and the boys practiced in preparation for game number two.

"Now we can go on double dates!" Katie gushed happily.

"I mean, technically we aren't dating?" Tayla's statement came out as more of a question than anything else.

"I'd say if you both professed your love for each other, you're dating" Cassidy told her, and Katie nodded in agreement. "Though I'm sure y'all will talk about it when he's done with practice" and just as she finished her sentence, her phone rang; it was Tyler.

"Hey" Tayla answered.

"Hey! Whatcha up to?" Tyler asked, walking out from the SAP Centre.

"Just finishing up lunch with your sis and Katie" Tayla told him, as the waiter came and got their plates, and left to grab the bill.

"When you're finished, head back to the hotel- I have a surprise for you" Tyler told her happily.

"What is it?" Tayla asked; she loved surprises.

"You'll see. If I told you, it wouldn't be a surprise" Tyler laughed, and Tayla smirked.

"Fine, I'll wait" she giggled, blushing slightly, and wondering what the surprise could be.