Status: in progress

Promises to Keep

first tours

Two Months Later

"This place is huge" Tayla commented, taking in the breathtaking house that Tyler resided in. She couldn't help but wonder why he needed so much space if he was the only one who lived here, and he was so rarely even home.

"It's great to throw parties" Tyler laughed, whilst giving her the grand tour. "And here we are, your room" he introduced the room that made her jaw drop. It was easily double the size of her room at her apartment back home. The already furnished room had a king sized bed, with the classic night stands and lamps on either side of it. Easily, the best touch was the window seat. The window seat, as she approached it, overlooked the beautiful pool and backyard Tyler had.

"This is amazing" she breathed, taking a step into the ensuite bathroom, that had an amazing jet tub, as well as a sizable glass shower. "Seriously, this room alone is nicer than my whole apartment" she laughed, shaking her head.

"Glad you like it" Tyler smiled, as the pair made their way into the kitchen. Tyler was happy the day had finally come; Tayla had moved in. It had felt surreal when she told him, and there were moments where he was certain she would change her mind. But, within two months, she quit her job, sold what stuff she didn't need to save on moving costs, found a job close to his house and here she was.

"I know it's only a few weeks sooner than it was supposed to be before seeing you" she teased him, remembering the phone call they had the night she decided to change her life. It felt strange, leaving her hometown for a place she had only visited on a few occasions.

"Hey, I'll take it" he laughed, taking a beer out of the fridge and offering her one. She accepted it and took a sip, sighing happily before letting out a loud burp. "You still got it" Tyler laughed, fist bumping her.

"Never lost it" she winked, sipping again.

"When's your first day of work?" Tyler asked, realizing he had to be to practice soon.

"Tomorrow" she replied, nervously.

"Tomorrow? That seems so soon" Tyler answered back, eyed going wide. "You never did tell me where you were actually working" he reminded her. When she had told him she had gotten a job, she was very cryptic.

"I guess I can tell you now" she smirked. "You're now looking at the official journalist of the Dallas Stars"

"Wait- really?" Tyler asked, eyes going wide once more. "That's actually a thing?" he then wondered aloud. He was use to giving all sorts of interviews- whether them be TV, radio, YouTube or for written articles, he didn't pay much attention to them.

"Well, I've been hired by the organization to cover all stories and news relating to the team" she told him. "I don't actually know the job title, or if that's the job title" she confessed. "But I'm pretty excited"

"So I'll be seeing you a lot more than I thought eh?" Tyler asked, wondering if she would ever be interviewing him.

"I guess, yeah. I'll be around the arena and maybe sometimes I'll be travelling" she told him excitedly. "It feels a little strange coming in partway through the season, but we're not at the most exciting part of the season yet, anyway" she reasoned.

"Don't worry, I'm sure you'll be great!" Tyler assured her. "Gotta head to practice though- see you at the game tonight?" he asked, even though he already knew the answer.

"Like you even have to ask" she scoffed in mock offence. "Good luck!" she called as he slammed the front door shut, leaving her alone in his huge house. To be fair his dogs were here, but they wouldn't stop her raging thoughts. His dogs were adorable; she was happy she would have some company for the days she would find herself home alone.

Before the game, she decided to take a nap. She was exhausted from the flight, and with her first day tomorrow, wanted to ensure she was well rested.

********

"Tay?" Tyler called out, throwing his keys on the table just inside the door.

"Kitchen!" she yelled, just putting the last utensils on the table.

"Smells delicious in here" Tyler commented, as they made their way into the kitchen. "Jamie, you remember Tayla, yeah?" he then motioned to his new roommate. Jamie nodded with a smile.
"Of course" he replied.

"Jamie, it's nice to see you!" Tayla remarked. "I've made us all dinner; I got off earlier than I thought I was going to, so I just whipped something up" she gestured to the cheesy buffalo chicken quesadillas. "I had to go to the grocery store- you literally had nothing here... just condiments"

"Sorry, I don't cook much. Plus- I'm not usually here" Tyler defended, as he and Jamie sat down for a post practice dinner. "This is delicious" he then added, once taking a bite.

"Agreed. Ty, you're lucky you may be actually eating some nice home cooked meals now" Jamie joked, causing Tyler to roll his eyes.

"Yeah, yeah" Tyler scoffed. "So Tay, how was work? Getting into writing any amazing articles about the best player on the Dallas Stars?" he asked jokingly with a wink.

"I didn't do any writing today. Just paperwork, introduced to everyone and had a tour of the arena... my first article will start after I catch a few games and take some notes, get prepared. Not that I haven't watched every game this season anyway" she added as an after thought. She always ensured she was watching the games, regardless of how late they were on. If she felt tired and unable to finish, she'd record it, and watch it the next day. "And besides, if I was going to be writing about the best player on the Stars, I'd ask Jamie for an interview" she smirked, Tyler scoffing in mock offence.

"She's not wrong" Jamie laughed. "I'll give you an interview anytime you want" he then added.
The three continued to have dinner, joking and laughing as they did so. It was nice to sit down and spend quality time with Tyler, and get to know Jamie better. If this was going to become her home, she had to do whatever it took to make the best of it. This was a fresh start; maybe her luck would change.