Status: in progress

Promises to Keep

him & i

"Why're you so smiley today?" Jamie asked, as Tyler hung up the phone. He had assumed the conversation Tayla had with him the night before must have gone well. "The conversation went well, I take it?"

"How did you-?"

"Katie told me" he informed Tyler, with a grin. "I'm happy for you, dude" he added, knowing how much it meant to him that the pair of them were finally together. "Looks like you won't have to wait until you're 35" he joked, lightly punching him on the shoulder.

"Ha-ha" Tyler rolled his eyes.

"You would have gone crazy if you had have waited that long" Jamie laughed, and Tyler shrugged. "I assume it would be stupid of me to ask what you're doing right now?" he then asked, as they made the short walk to the hotel. It was just down the street from the arena, and since it was so nice outside, they opted to walk back.

"Yeah, it would be stupid" Tyler smirked, and Jamie rolled his eyes.

"What do you have planned?" Jamie asked, noticing the evil looking smirk on Tyler's face.

"Just a surprise for Tayla" Tyler brushed it off, slightly embarrassed. "Just going to take her sight seeing and stuff; she's always loved the area, ya know?" he explained. "Specifically she's always wanted to explore downtown- it's really cool architectural landmarks- from the 1883 Italianate-style-"

"Alright, alright" Jamie cut him off, laughing. "You've done your research obviously" he smiled.

"I've got it all mapped out" Tyler explained, pulling out his phone. "We'll go to the San Jose Museum of Art, the Almaden market- it's all really close to the hotel, and the arena actually" he was pinching his phone, zooming in on his phone to show him the map.

"Have fun" Jamie told him honestly. "Be safe, you know, don't do anything I wouldn't do" he laughed, and Tyler rolled his eyes.

"Thanks dad" he responded, waving Jamie off as they both went their separate ways. He eagerly went back to his room to get ready for the afternoon he had planned for the girl he loved so much.

****

"Take my picture" Tayla told Tyler, putting his phone in his hands. Tyler shook his head, a wide smile on his face. She ran up to the graffiti, and struck a pose, like she had been doing all afternoon.

"Ou, just like that" Tyler commented, taking various poses as she struck different poses. "Work it gurl" he said in a higher pitched tone. Tayla laughed and ran up to look at the pictures, swiping and deleting the ones she didn't like. "Hey, I liked that one" Tyler frowned, going right to her recently deleted and recovering the photo. He immediately sent it to himself, before deleting it for her once more.

"What was that for?" she asked, as Tyler pulled out his phone to change the background on his phone. He saved the photo, and made it his home background.

"I liked the picture" Tyler shrugged, happy with his new background.

"Thank you for today" Tayla finally got to thanking him. They rejoined hands, and continued to explore downtown San Jose, which was just as amazing as she was hoping it would be. They took a crazy amount of photos; well, mostly Tyler took the pictures. They went to the Art museum, and were about to head back to the hotel, where they were going to get ready for what Tyler described as part two of the surprise. "This is amazing. I'm surprised you remembered" she commented, still actively looking around.

"Hey, I pay attention" Tyler defended himself jokingly.

"I never said you didn't" Tayla laughed. "We just talked about that so long ago" she began to remember the conversation vividly.

"I remember" Tyler began. "We talked for hours about what we'd do if we won the lottery, which eventually led us to talk about where we'd travel" he reminisced.

"Guess we never thought you'd be making more than most lottery winnings could offer" Tayla smirked. "Really, I don't think I tell you enough that I'm super proud of you. I know you didn't have a great last game, but the last series you really proved how talented and dedicated you really are" she gushed, then blushing when Tyler squeezed her hand tighter.

"That means a lot, Tay" Tyler replied honestly. "You know, if we win the cup-"

"You mean when" Tayla corrected him. Tyler simply laughed.

"Yes, when we win the Stanley Cup, I can't wait to spend the day with the two best things in the world" Tyler remembered his first cup day, back in 2011.

"The Stanley Cup and beer?" Tayla offered, describing the basics of how he had spent his day back in 2011. Of course he was really young then, and more interested in drinking, partying, and getting girls than anything else. He remembered Tayla had been at the party, and ended up looking after him the day after. She cleaned his mess up, and even went so far as to drive the girl he was seeing home.

"The beer isn't even a close second to you" Tyler told her honestly.

"I'd hope not" Tayla smirked. "Especially after what happened in 2011" she reminded him about what he was just thinking about.

"Yeah, yeah" Tyler muttered. "We both know I've matured a lot since then" at least, he had hoped.

"Of course you have" Tayla laughed. "Moving to Dallas was probably one of the better things that has happened to you" she told him honestly. Not to say he was going down a bad path, but getting away from the party life of Boston, and moving to a more stable life in Dallas where Jamie was quickly a great influence on him did him some good.

"Second only to meeting you" Tyler replied smoothly.

"Oh my god" Tayla laughed, bumping into his side and hugging him. "You're so corny" she added, beaming.

"Only corny for you" he winked, and Tayla erupted into a fit of giggles. "Okay, I'm done now I swear" he added, after allowing her some time to laugh.

"It's okay, I like it" Tayla admitted softly. It was nice to have someone who cared so much about her; she was always grateful for having Tyler in her life for this reason. He was always making sure she was cared for and felt special; today was on a whole other level.

"I hope so" Tyler laughed. Now, get ready- one last surprise for tonight" Tyler informed her as they made their way, hand in hand, into the hotel.

"Ou!!" Tayla smiled, loving surprises. Today just couldn't get any better.