Status: in progress

Promises to Keep

secret

Tyler 12:03 a.m.

uh. who is this?

Unknown 12:04 a.m.

you know me. how's Tayla?

Tyler grew anxious. He sat up in his bed, wondering who this person was.

Tyler 12:04 a.m.

Who?

He tried to play dumb.

Unknown 12:05 a.m.

that's funny. nice try. you look dumb but I know you know who I mean

Tyler 12:06 a.m.

excuse me?

Unknown 12:06a.m.

so how is she? does she miss me?

Was this someone Tayla knew? Was this even someone Tyler knew?

Tyler 12:07 a.m.

look dude, I think you have the wrong number

Unknown 12:07 a.m.

no I don't, Tyler. I have the right number

Tyler 12:08 a.m.

how do you know my name?

Unknown 12:08 a.m.

I don't really know you per se...

Tyler 12:09 a.m.

then what do you want??

Unknown 12:10 a.m.

you'll see. see you when you get home

Tyler 12:10 a.m.

what???

But the person never answered him. He attempted to call the number, but was sent directly to voicemail.

"What the fuck?..." Tyler trailed off, plugging his phone into its charger. Who the hell was taunting him? Was he the victim of some sick joke? Being too tired to even think anymore, he drifted off into a paranoid sleep.

******

"Tayla!" Margaret greeted, giving her youngest daughter a big hug. She hadn't seen her in what felt like years; she missed her.

"Hi mom" she greeted, smiling and turning to give her dad a hug. "Hi dad" she hugged her dad, who embraced her tightly.

"Hi kiddo" her dad greeted, turning his attention to Tyler. "Tyler. It's good to see you"

"Good to see you too, sir" Tyler replied, a little uneasily. Despite their history, now that Tyler was dating their daughter, he felt like he had an obligation to be more polite.

"Sir? Tyler, we've known you for years- we've been friends with your parents for ages! You know you don't have to call me sir" Paul commented, a little thrown off by being called Sir.

"Oh, right; I guess I never told you..." Tayla trailed off, realizing it had never come up in conversation.

"Tyler, Tay!" they turned around to see Tyler's parents striding into the home of Tayla's parents. "You have no idea how excited we are that you're home!" Tyler's mom gushed, hugging the pair. "And how glad we are that you two are now dating!" she added, squeezing Tyler into a tight hug.

"You're what!?" Tayla's mom and dad asked at the same time.

"That's what I was about to say" Tayla laughed, turning to her parents. "Surprise I guess?" she apologized. "Sorry I didn't tell you, I guess it just never came up"

"I'm so happy for you guys!" Tayla's mom cheered happily. "It's about time, really"

"Really is about time" even Tayla's dad agreed.

"Yeah, yeah" Tayla murmured, blushing furiously. he looked over to Tyler who was grinning ear to ear.

Tayla, her parents and Tyler, and his parents, and sister all sat around the supper table, chatting animatedly. It was just like old times; before Tyler made it big, before they both ended up in Dallas. Tayla realized how much she was missing living at home, but she knew Dallas was for the better. She found an amazing friend in Katie, and even better boyfriend in Tyler.

After dinner, Tayla stayed behind at home to hang out with her parents for a bit, and Tyler, along with his sister, went out shopping for a bit. Cassidy loved taking Tyler out shopping; he always ended up spending more money than she did, something they often bet on.

"So. How are you and Tay?" Cassidy asked, as the pair walked aimlessly around the mall. Tyler had just bought two new pairs of shoes, and was grumbling about already losing the bet.

"Great. Really great" Tyler grinned. "I always thought I would have to man up and tell her. I had no idea she felt the same too" he smiled brightly.

"Yeah it's a good thing one of you is man enough" Cassidy teased, and Tyler rolled his eyes.

"Yeah, yeah" Tyler rolled his eyes. "You know I would have eventually-"

"Hey Ty, fancy seeing you here" Tyler was interrupted by a somewhat familiar male voice. He looked up and saw none other than Jason, Tayla's most recent ex-boyfriend.

"Oh- Jason" Tyler said, narrowing his eyes. "hi"

"What can we do for you?" Cassidy stepped in, clearly seeing her brother was at a loss for words.

"Just wondering if Tyler got my text messages" Jason replied, eyeing Tyler with curiosity. Tyler looked at Jason, confused, before his eyes went wide; the weird messages he was getting in San Jose after getting eliminated from the Stanley Cup Playoffs. They were cryptic, and eerie; he wasn't sure the reason behind receiving them.

"I don't know what you mean" Tyler pretended he had no idea what Jason meant. It wasn't a lie; he didn't know why Jason was texting him.

"I know you do" Jason seethed, and Cassidy eyed the two men suspiciously.

"Okay, I don't know what the hell your problem is, but we have to go" Cassidy decided, and grabbed Tyler's arm to tug him away from the awkward confrontation.

"He didn't tell you?" Jason asked Cassidy, and she shook her head.

"Tell me what?"

"What he did to Tayla"

This made Tyler's eyes go wide.

"Tyler didn't do anything to Tyler" Cassidy snapped, just brushing it off as jealousy. Jason had been in love with Tayla, sure; but he had left her with nothing but a note. What right did he have to approach Tyler? If he truly cared about Tayla, he never would have left her the way he did.

"The only one who did something is you. You were the one ho left her high and dry, only leaving as much as a note. Now that Tayla's dating Tyler you decide to give a shit again? Don't think so buddy" and she tried to pull Tyler away from the conversation again.

"Oh man, you really have everyone fooled, don't you?" Jason laughed cynically. "They'll find out the truth, they always do..." Jason trailed off with an evil grin.

"Whatever, asshole" Cassidy grumbled, finally prying Tyler away from the conversation. They walked in silence for a bit, until they finally made their way back to the car. "That was weird as hell. What the heck was he going on about?" Cassidy wondered aloud, getting into the car.

"No idea" Tyler mumbled, knowing he was screwed. He had felt the guilt of his actions for a long time; was it time he finally unload the guilt and let someone know?