Status: in progress

Promises to Keep

you or me?

Tyler paced around the kitchen. The weeks spent at home were much needed, though not without anxiety. He kept waiting for Jason to go to Tayla and tell her the brutal truth about his past, but it never happened. Cassidy kept urging Tyler to tell Tayla before Jason got ahead of him, but he couldn't bring himself to do it.

He knew he couldn't put it off for much longer. It wouldn't be long before he would show up at the house, and forever ruin the relationship he had with Tayla. He sighed, continuing to pace around. It was well after two in the morning, and he was wide awake. Tayla was sleeping soundly in the bed they began to share, and he didn't want to disturb her so he made his way downstairs and began to pace.

His phone dinged, indicating he had a new incoming text. He grabbed and looked to see who it was from at this hour. It was an attachment, so he swiped over to see and nearly dropped his phone. The picture was of him and Tayla, from earlier that day. They were holding hands, smiling happily as they went for a morning coffee together after their run. Underneath was the message was a chilling message.

Unknown 2:08 a.m.

Hope you're enjoying being happy. It'll be over before you know it.

He shivered despite not being cold. He knew he was running out of time to tell her the truth. But how is one supposed to tell their best friend/ girlfriend that all their failed relationships were their fault? He was scared; the last thing he wanted to do was lose Tayla. But, he knew, the odds of him being forgiven if he didn't tell her were far greater than if she heard it from Jason.

*****

"You're not doing anything for your birthday!?" Katie asked Tayla, who shook her head no. Her birthday was on Canada Day, July 1st. She typically didn't like to make a big deal out of it, but always had a party; but not this year.

"Nah, I'm not really feeling it this year, honestly" Tayla confessed, typing up an end of season article, and what to look for in the upcoming season. This was going to be one of the last articles she would write for the season, before taking the summer off. She would write about any action on July the 1st, but then would resume towards the end of August. It was a short time off, but she was going to enjoy spending it with Tyler. "I'd rather just spend the day relaxing with you, Jamie and Tyler"

"Well, we do bring the party with us..." Katie trailed off with a grin.

"Did you just quote Hannah Montana?" Tayla asked, laughing. She closed her laptop and set it to the side, putting her sunglasses back on and cracking another cold beer.

"Look, I've been around kids a lot recently, they made me watch it I swear" Katie defended, taking a sip of her beer. "And I most definitely do not know the hoedown throw down..." she trailed off, her cheeks turning a light shade of pink.

"Oh my god, you know that!?" Tayla asked, hurriedly going to Apple Music to find the song. She connected her phone to her Bluetooth speaker, and began to blare the song. "So do I!" she got up, and began to get ready to do the dance.

The pair both stood up, laughing uncontrollably as they danced to the hoedown throw down. When they finished, their cheeks turned even redder when Tyler and Jamie; Tyler was clapping, Jamie with his phone out, making it clear to both of them they had just been recorded.

"How much of that did you see?" Tayla asked, taking her seat by the pool once more.

"The whole thing" Tyler laughed, unable to keep the smile off his face. "As soon as we heard music start playing we looked outside, and what do you know" he added mischievously.

"If you show that to anyone I swear" Katie warned, though she was certain it wouldn't bother her if they did. Hey, she knew a dance to a song, what was the big deal? By the look on Tayla's face, she felt the same.

"Yeah, yeah, we won't" Tyler grinned, pulling Tayla into his side. "So, has Katie told you about your birthday celebrations?" he then asked, expecting to hear how excited she was about them.

"No party this year, Ty" Katie informed him, and he took a step back, surprised.

"No party!?" Tyler asked, surprised.

"I know, I know" Tayla shrugged it off. "I'd just be happy spending the day with you guys" she gestured around to the three surrounding her.

"You will be spending time with us... and some others as well" Tyler added the last part in a lower voice. Tayla smacked him playfully.

"Oh stop" she silenced him. "Unless..." she trailed off, and Tyler avoided eye contact. "You've already planned everything all out, haven't you?"

"Wow, she's good" Jamie commented, and Tyler sent him a stern look.

"Dammit, Jamie!" he cursed his best friend for his big mouth.

"What? She already figured it out" Jamie shrugged, not seeing a problem with it. "You're caught" he then smirked, Katie laughing along with him.

"Please, Tay!?" Katie asked, practically pleading.

"You were in on the planning too?" She asked Katie, who bit her lip and nodded.

"God, guys..." Tayla trailed off, trying to hide her smile.

"Ah-ha! I see a smile!" Jamie pointed out, and Tayla began to blush furiously.

"So you'll come then?" Tyler asked, excitedly. He wiped the sweat off his brow and removed his shirt, anxiously awaiting the moment he would jump into the pool. He caught Tayla's eye, it was obvious she was checking him out. "You like what you see?" he wriggled his eyebrows, and Tayla rolled her eyes, giving him a light shove. He wasn't expecting it, so he went back first into the pool.

"Oh shit!" Tayla yelled, putting her hands up to her mouth. "I actually didn't mean to do that!" she laughed, realizing since he was okay, how funny it was. Katie and Jamie laughed along with her, giving her a high five.

"That was amazing" Katie finally got out in between giggles.

"You're SO going to pay for that" Tyler stated in mock anger. He began to make his way out of the pool, and Tayla nervously tried to make her way to the other side.

"No, no, no" Tayla laughed, trying to avoid getting thrown in herself.

"Agree to coming to your own party" Tyler stopped in his tracks, awaiting her response.

"Fine" she finally sighed, and Tyler, Jamie and Katie all cheered. Tayla looked away for a moment, and found herself being launched into the pool anyway.

"Glad you agree" Tyler said, once they both came up from under the water.

"You're lucky I love you" Tayla teased, pulling him in for a kiss.

"You're damn right I am" Tyler smiled, still having an intense amount of guilt weighing on his conscience.