Status: in progress

Promises to Keep

three months later

Three Months Later

It was beginning; another year of hockey. Tyler sat on the bench, ready to begin another year of chasing down Lord Stanley. It had been one hell of a summer; one to which he would rather forget sooner rather than later. Tayla had left; and he wasn't sure she was ever going to come back. After their breakup, he launched himself into training. He worked out, and partied; that's all he ever did. He knew Jamie was worried about him, but the one person in the world he cared about wasn't worried; so why did it matter?

He tried to reach out to Tayla, but he never heard anything back. Every morning, as soon as he woke up, and every evening before he went to sleep, he sent Tayla a text. Sometimes they were short, sometimes they were long; but he always did it. For three months straight he texted, but he never received an answer. He didn't know if she was in town, if she stayed home, where she went, or what she was doing; all he hoped for, was that she was well, and happier than he was feeling.
As the puck dropped to start yet another season, he hoped this year would be the year he could hoist Lord Stanley again, hoping it was close the hole he continually felt in his heart.

***********

"Another year, let's make it count!" Tayla's boss said excitedly, as all the people around the table clapped and cheered. It was another year, and another chance for the Dallas Stars to win the Stanley Cup. There were minimal changes to the roster, a few additions to the front to help with the depth for scoring. Last year was disappointing, so they aimed to not make the same mistakes again.
Tayla made her way back to her office, before she would be heading to watch the game; something she didn't think she would ever be capable of doing.

It had been three months. Three months since she last spoke to Tyler; three months since they shared their last kiss; and three months to which she felt she had lost a part of herself. It was one of the most painful decisions she ever had to make, but she knew she belonged in Dallas. Her job, her friends, and her life were there. Despite Tyler being here, she knew she needed to come back.
Tyler wasn't make it easy to stay away, however. Ever since their last conversation in the hotel room three months ago he had texted her, each and every morning, and each and every evening. She read each message, and cried almost every time. But regardless of how touching, or how simple they were, she couldn't bring herself to answer any of them.

Sitting in her office, she scrolled threw them, as she often did.

Tyler

Hey Tay. I just wanted to let you know I love you so much. You're my world.

Tyler

Just finished a brutal long workout- heading to bed. Just wanted to say goodnight and I love you.

Tyler

I miss you, Tay.

Tyler

I love you

Tyler

I just wish you could be home. I miss having you in my arms

They often were short, simple and sweet; but they never ceased to make her tear up. She wasn't sure why she kept them, or even continued to read them. But, like always, she couldn't stop thinking about him, and the texts were like they still were together.

"Tay! Get your ass out here, you're going to miss the game!" Katie popped her head in Tayla's office. She jumped slightly, startled by her sudden appearance.

"You scared the crap out of me" Tayla put her hand near her heart.

"Sorry!" Katie apologized, with a slight laugh. "You're reading them again, aren't you?" she then asked, realizing why Tayla was so startled out of her thoughts.

"I- erm-" Tayla spluttered, knowing she was caught. "Okay fine, yes I was" she admitted with a sigh, shoving her phone into her pocket.

"Have you answered any of them?" Katie asked, although she already suspected the answer was no. Just as she predicted, Tayla shook her head no.

"How's he doing?" Tayla asked Katie, hoping this would be the time she budged.

"Nope" Katie shook her head firmly. "Like Jamie and I have told you before, to both of you. If you want to know how he is, you have to ask him yourself" she repeated what she had said what felt like a million times before. She was nothing but persistent, Katie would give her that much.

"I can't bring myself to" Tayla whispered. "I can't bring myself to text him to forgive him, even though it's all that I want to do" she confessed, catching Katie completely off guard. Typically, Tayla would ask herself or Jamie how Tyler was doing, only for them to give her the same answer; ask him yourself. The conversation always ended there; she never pushed anymore, nor did she continue to push the subject. She dropped it, and moved on. This time, however, was different.
Tayla found herself living in a condo in Dallas by herself. Despite offers from Katie and Jamie to move in with them, she knew that wasn't in her best interest. She didn't want Tyler to feel like he couldn't show up to his best friend's house, and on the other hand, she wasn't ready to face him yet.

"Why not?" Katie asked, coming into her office and closing the door.

"I don't know" Tayla said, the same as she had told Tyler all those months ago. "I wish I could give you a reason. I wish I could explain it to you, but I can't" Tayla replied, emotionless. She had cried so much over the subject she was convinced she had no more tears left to cry anymore. "We have to hurry if we want to catch the opening faceoff" Tayla shot a smile, hopping up from her desk and leaving her office. Katie shook her head, puzzled by the likes of Tayla. She could no longer truly understand the relationship between her and Tyler, but one thing seemed clear; the world would end before they stayed apart.