Status: in progress

Promises to Keep

just-in time

Despite the events that had transpired now nearly weeks ago, Tayla found herself walking through the park closest to her condo, hands in her pockets, trying to do some soul searching.

It had been a rough few months, and with the more days that passed, the more it began to take its toll on her. She had accepted she would never be able to revisit the past, regardless of how much she wanted to. She had accepted that what Tyler had done as true, and she finally accepted it was time to make a decision.

That's why she found herself walking through the park on a late Sunday afternoon. She wanted to come closer to what she considered to be one of the biggest decisions of her life. Tayla was too busy trying to find an appropriate song for the occasion, she didn't even notice a man standing before her.

"Oh my god, I'm so sorry" Tayla apologized to the handsome man. He had deep blue eyes, and a dazzling smile. "I wasn't paying attention- I'm so sorry" she apologized once more.

"It's fine, really" the man laughed, dismissing her continuous apologies. "But you did see the video of the woman who fell in the fountain while she was texting because she wasn't paying attention?" he asked her rather curiously. He wasn't sure why he felt the need to continue speaking to her, but something drew him in.

"Yes, I have actually" Tayla laughed, turning a light shade of pink. "I guess that could have been me, huh?" she asked, more rhetorically than anything else. "I'm Tayla, by the way" she introduced herself, unsure why.

"Justin" the man introduced himself. "What brings you to the park alone on a lovely Sunday afternoon?" he asked, as now the pair began to stroll at a rather small pace.

"Boy troubles" Tayla mumbled for lack of a better description. "Pretty dumb eh?" she then added, feeling rather ridiculous telling a random stranger that she had 'boy troubles', like she was in high school. "What about you?"

"The same thing" the man laughed, but then the smile disappeared off his face.

"What happened?" Tayla asked. "If you don't mind me asking" she then added quickly, as to not be intrusive.

"He cheated on me" Justin sighed, still feeling the pain of what he had discovered only a few short days ago. "We've been together for five years- it was a real punch to the gut when I found out" he added with a frown.

"I know what that's like- I'm so sorry" Tayla found herself apologizing, as much people would do in her situation. "And I'm guessing you're here because you're trying to figure out if you should forgive him or not" Tayla came to the conclusion rather quickly.

"You catch on quick" Justin chuckled. "Yeah, that's why I'm here. Obviously, I still care about him and love him- a lot." he rambled. "But he destroyed all the trust we had built up. I mean, they say once a cheater always a cheater, right? So what if I forgive him and he does it again? It'll shatter me all over again, and make me feel like a total idiot"

"I don't necessarily believe that someone who once cheated will always cheat" Tayla told him sincerely. "My boy- well, ex boyfriend had cheated on his girlfriends while on road trips for work sometimes" she explained a side of Tyler she was glad she didn't have to worry about. "But with me, he never has. With me, it's different"

"How do you know?" Justin asked, quite intrigued. "How does one go from cheating on girlfriends to being faithful?"

"Well, maturity is a big part of it" Tayla told him honestly. "And we've known each other since, well, ever since I can remember. I knew the good, the bad, and the ugly. And he'd been in love with me since high school" she laughed, smiling at the thought of Tyler.

"We met when we were in college, were friends for a year or so before we began dating" Justin confessed, and Tayla nodded, urging him to continue. "He said he had a moment of weakness, it would never happen again, you know, the same old reasons why someone would justify cheating, but here's the thing" Justin stopped walking, and looked Tayla directly in the eyes. "I don't think it was just once"

"What makes you say that?" Tayla asked curiously.

"The guy he cheated on me with has been a friend of his for a few years now. He's been over to the house when I'm not around, they text pretty much constantly- maybe I should have seen it coming" Justin sighed, feeling stupid.

"You shouldn't feel stupid, first off" Tayla told Justin, reading the expression on his face. "Why would you have ever assumed he would do that? You trusted him- it doesn't make you stupid for believing in that trust." Tayla assured him. Tayla gestured to the park bench that was behind them, and the pair sat down, continuing their conversation.

"Look, I know you love him, and you've been together for awhile now," Tayla began softly. "But the trust is broken. And I don't know much about your relationship other than what you've told me, but has he tried to win you back? Has he tried to prove how much he cared? That his love for you was genuine? How did he react when you found out? Was he sad? Angry? Mortified? Or bummed out you finally caught him?" Tayla threw a lot of questions his way.

Justin pondered on all the thoughts for a moment before replying.

"No, he hasn't. He hasn't texted me, or called, or even tried to make things right..." he trailed off, coming to a realization. "I think you just helped me with my decision" he looked to Tayla with a smile. "I deserve someone better"

"Damn right you do" Tayla smiled widely. "You should never settle for less than you deserve. Who knows, the right guy could be right under your nose, and you haven't noticed" Tayla referenced her realization of being in love with Tyler. He had been there, under her nose, but she had never thought their friendship would evolve into anything.

"You're right" Justin sighed. "Doesn't make it any less hard, you know?" he asked, and Tayla nodded.

"Trust me, I know" Tayla laughed lightly.

"I just want to thank you" Justin then began to smile. "I know its a weird way to meet someone.. you know, telling them your problems in a public park. But I really appreciate you listening, and not thinking I was a total creep" he laughed.

"I know it's weird too," Tayla began truthfully. "But sometimes you just get a certain vibe from someone, you know?"

"I think this could be the start of a beautiful friendship" Justin commented with a wide smile. "Speaking of which," Justin changed the subject. "What's your troubles?"

"It's kind of fucked up if I'm being totally honest" Tayla laughed, despite the situation not being funny in the slightest. Justin simply raised an eyebrow, waiting for her to continue.

"The short version of it is, Tyler and I have known each other forever. I guess he's had a thing for me since high school. Anyway, my boyfriend and I had broken up, so he had asked me to move up to Dallas with him since he works here most of the year. We're originally from Ontario" she clarified when he looked confused.

"To make a long story short, at my birthday party my most recent ex showed up, and told me that Tyler's been purposely breaking up me and all of my boyfriends since high school, all because he wanted to be with me" Tayla summed up the events in the shortest version she could.

"Wait, wait, wait" Justin was in disbelief. "Why didn't he tell you he had feelings for you? Why go through all that work?" he was genuinely curious.

"We made a silly promise when we were younger that if both of us were single come age 35, we'd get married. So he figured instead of just telling me how he felt, he'd keep me single until I was 35" Tayla sighed heavily, trying her hardest not to cry.

"Oh, sweetie" Justin scooted closer to her, and rubbed her back soothingly. "I have no words..." he trailed off.

"That's okay" Tayla laughed, sniffling. "Nobody does. I don't think there's a person on this planet who has dealt with this shit" she added. "So, yeah. I'm here, still thinking three months later, on whether or not I should forgive him"

"Can I ask you something?" Justin asked, and Tayla nodded. "Just like you asked me. Did he try to win you back? Did he try to show you how much he loved and cared for you? What was his reaction when you find out?" he repeated almost what Tayla had asked him word for word.

"He's texted me every morning and every night since I left. He showed up back home when I was staying there for awhile. When I found out, he looked as devastated as I did. He's been a wreck ever since I left..." she trailed off, looking to Justin.

"He really sounds like he loves you" Justin commented, slightly envious of Tayla for having someone who cared so much about them.

"I don't think he ever intended to hurt me, he says he did it because he loves me" Tayla told him with a frown. "He's never done anything else to make me believe otherwise. He's been the most amazing boyfriend I've ever had- I'm so happy when I'm with him"

"Do you think you would have ended up together if all of this hadn't have happened?" Justin asked, a question that burned in the back of Tayla's mind.

"In some weird way, I think we would have. Whether it have been at this point in my life, maybe earlier, maybe later; but I think we were meant to be... at least, that's what it feels like" Tayla smiled at Justin. "Does it make me stupid for wanting to forgive him?" she then asked, concerned.

"Honestly? In other situations, yes. It would" Justin told her honestly. "But that being said- I think this is different"

"What do you mean?" Tayla asked, confused.

"And this is only drawing assumptions from what you've said, but this guy seems like he's it for you, and you're it for him. The only question you should be asking yourself now, is what's taking you so long?" Justin informed her seriously.

"I think you might be right" Tayla admitted sheepishly.

"Of course I am, hun" Justin scoffed in a joking way. "I think you have somewhere you have to be" he told her, a more serious tone in his voice. "Here's my number though- we'll have to go for coffee sometime"

"Screw coffee, maybe you can come over and we can have a wine night" Tayla laughed, getting up from the park bench after texting Justin so he had her number.

"I knew there was a reason why I started talking to you" Justin laughed, as Tayla practically sprinted from the park, knowing what her decision was; finally, after all this time.