Status: in progress

Promises to Keep

where i belong

"Take a seat" Tyler gestured, as the dogs went to greet Tayla, who only briefly kneeled down enough to give each a little scratch behind the ear. She sat beside him, allowing herself to take in the familiar view.

"Look, Ty..." Tayla turned to face him, knowing what she wanted and needed to say, but not sure how she was going to say it. Tyler braced himself for what was coming, biting his lip nervously out of habit. He was surprised, when she scooted closer to him, and put her hand underneath his chin, tilting his face closer to hers. Tyler looked into her eyes, his breathing becoming short and shallow. Tayla inched closer, closing the gap before she pressed her lips to his with such passion Tyler was taken aback.

Tyler took both his hands and held her face as he kissed her, still wondering, in the back of his mind, if this would be the last. If it was, he was going to enjoy it; he never wanted it to end. When Tayla pulled away his heart was racing, and he felt saddened, his lips still tingling from where hers had just been.

"God, I've missed you" she breathed heavily, closing her eyes and resting her forehead against his. She still had a hand on his cheek, eventually putting her head on his shoulder. Tyler wrapped an arm around her, pulling her closer to his body and placing a kiss gently on the top of her head.

"I've missed you too" Tyler whispered, his voice slightly cracking. This did not go unnoticed by Tayla, who became concerned.

"Are you okay?" she asked, suddenly remembering he thought she had met someone else.

"I'm just not ready for this to end" he whispered honestly.

"Why would it end?" Tayla asked, pulling away as to look him in the eye. "I don't want it to end either, Ty. That's why I'm here; I love you" she told him with a small smile. "I know I've been putting this decision off for a long time now, and honestly it's been so obvious all along. If it weren't for Justin, I never would have realized it" she told him, and she eyed him with sadness and confusion.

"What do you mean?" Tyler asked, now genuinely confused.

"He's the guy I was talking about earlier that I met in the park- and he doesn't swing my way if you know what I mean" Tayla referenced to the conversation Tyler didn't fully hear. It hit Tyler now that he had jumped to the wrong conclusion; he felt stupid. "Anyway, we talked and he helped me realize something" she continued. When Tyler fell silent, she pressed on.

"I can't picture a life without you in it, Ty. We've been friends forever, and it was strange feeling like I didn't have you in my life. It was the longest three months, easily" Tayla confessed. "I realized though I was devastated from all the break ups over the years, and of course finding out what you had been doing, I realized something. With anyone else, I was never this sad. When I lost them, I was okay within a few months; and you know why?" she rambled, asking Tyler, who eyed her curiously. "It was because I had you"

"But this time I didn't have you- and I was at a loss. I'd never been so upset losing someone in my life- ever. You mean more to me than words could ever say. And I honestly believe, even despite this whole mess, we would have ended up together someday. Because- well, I think you're my soul mate." she finally concluded. "And yeah, you can jump in anytime now" she laughed awkwardly when Tyler wasn't saying anything in response to her pouring her heart out.

"I- I don't know what to say" Tyler finally said, speechless, surprised, relieved, and ecstatic. "I can't even express how happy it makes me to hear you say that" he sighed with a relieved smile. "I thought you were coming to tell me you were done and moving on- I was so afraid I lost you" he confessed, and continued.

"I thought I had lost you that night a few months ago. I kept thinking about how I wish I could go back and change things, and I wish I could somehow make it up to you somehow. You've been my best friend since day one, and have supported me and believed in me when I didn't even believe in myself. You stuck beside me through even the worst parts- and you never considered leaving; ever. I can't express how much you mean to me, Tay. You make me so incredibly happy. I love you, so much" he rambled on, unable to stop himself. He leaned in and kissed her softly, before pulling away and smiling.

"I want to be able to do that forever" he confessed, as he was of agreeing with Tayla's sentiment; they were soul mates.

"I love you so much, too" Tayla smiled, holding onto his hand. The pair remained silent for a moment, just looking at the incredible sunset that was in front of them.

"I know things can't go back to normal right away, but I want to gain back your trust" Tyler told her, confidently. "I want to make this work, if you're willing" he then added, slightly nervously. He couldn't have smiled wider when she spoke the three words he never thought he would ever get to hear.

"I forgive you." Tayla whispered. "I want to be with you" she added, leaning in and kissing him forcefully. Tyler wrapped his arms around her, pulling her onto his lap in one swift movement. "bedroom" she panted in between kisses, and Tyler smiled. He picked her up from the bench, still kissing her as he walked towards the door.

Tayla climbed off him, taking off her shirt in one swift movement and grinning devilishly.

"You coming?" she asked, making the familiar trip to his bedroom.

"Not yet I'm not" Tyler smirked, winking. Tayla rolled her eyes, as Tyler chased her up the stairs, the pair laughing.

It was a moment neither of them wanted to end. After all this time, they finally were where they belonged; together.
♠ ♠ ♠
far from over ;) thank you for reading, and I hope you're enjoying it thus far!