Status: in progress

Promises to Keep

unpacked

Tayla's eyes fluttered opened, a confusing darkness surrounding her. The sun was just beginning to rise, and the sun was shining through the slight crack in the blackout curtains present in Tyler's room. It took her a moment to realize where she was, but when she did she couldn't help but let out a soft smile.

Tyler was asleep next to her, snoring softly, looking peaceful. They had spent a lot of the night simply laying in bed, and catching each other up on the events from the last three months of their lives. They both felt like they had missed so much, but knew from here on out all they could do was make the best of it. They had agreed; no more secrets, no more lies, just honesty and truth. Though Tayla was unsure if she fully trusted Tyler, she knew she was willing to work on trying her best.

Tayla didn't realize how long she was just laying there, staring at Tyler before he stirred, his eyes opening slowly. Upon opening his eyes, it still surprised him to see her before him. Last night felt like the best of dreams; he couldn't believe he had her back in his life.

"Good morning" Tayla smiled, before Tyler had the chance to speak.

"Morning" Tyler whispered softly, still trying to wake himself up.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to wake you up" Tayla apologized, unsure if it was her that had disturbed his sleep.

"No need to apologize- I have to be up decently early for morning workout" he informed her, yawning, causing her to yawn as well. "Damn- I'll have to leave soon" he sighed, looking at the time.

"Well, I guess we should make the most of this morning then?" Tayla asked, with an evil smirk.

"Have I ever told you how much I've missed you?" Tyler asked, scooting closer to her. Tayla
laughed, pulling him in for a quick kiss.

"You might have mentioned it"

************

"Girl, you have NO idea how happy I am that you guys are back together" Katie raved, as the pair finished their jog. Tayla slowed down also, resisting the urge to roll her eyes. "I'm serious! You guys make each other so happy" she added on a more serious note.

"Yeah, yeah" Tayla mumbled, feeling slightly tired and out of breath. "I think I am dying" she added with a huff. "How do you even do this on a daily basis?"

"I enjoy it, I don't know" Katie shrugged it off, taking a swig of her water. "You're feeling better now since you started coming with me a few days a week, no?" she then asked, and Tayla nodded.

"Yeah- in general I've been feeling a lot better. But I don't think it's because of the running" she had to add with a small smile. That morning she hadn't wanted to get out of bed; she could have stayed there with him all day, doing absolutely nothing at all.

"You've been incredibly strong through all of this, Tay" Katie told her new found friend. "I'm glad you came to Dallas. I'm glad you and I have become close. And I'm even more glad that you and Tyler have patched things up" she ended, as they arrived back at Tayla's condo.

"Ohh Katie" Tayla 'awed', smiling brightly. "I'm really glad I did too. You're a really good friend; I would have missed you if I didn't come back" she answered, as the pair walked up to the floor of Tayla's condo. It wasn't the first time Katie had been there, but she did happen to notice it seemed as if she had made no efforts to move herself in.

Around the place were a mix of full, empty, and half empty boxes. Papers were strewn over the kitchen island, her laptop set up like it was her home office. She noticed there were pictures out and on display, but the ones that used to cover her walls laid near the wall, not hung up. Katie bit her lip and wondered; was this done purposely? It wasn't as if she didn't have time to unpack and settle, but was that what she wanted?

"Tay, can I ask you something?" Katie asked, as the pair made their way to the living room. Tayla moved some boxes around so they could get to the kitchen, and she gathered the papers from the island to move them out of their way.

"You just did, but sure" Tayla commented with a smirk. Katie resisted the urge to roll her eyes, before she continued on the same train of thought she had since she had set foot back into her condo.

"Why haven't you unpacked yet?"

Tayla seemed a little confused by her question.

"I've been busy" Tayla shrugged, brushing it off.

"You've been here for what- over a month now? Yet it still looks the same as it did the day Jamie and I helped you move in here" she informed her, concerned. "I'm just wondering if there's a reason why?"

Tayla bit her lip, unsure of how to proceed with the conversation.

"I-I don't know" she replied honestly. "Familiar response, isn't it?" she then added, trying to laugh to make light of what now was a tense conversation.

"I have a thought, and don't hate me for it" Katie began, finally taking a seat at the kitchen island. "You moved back here not intending to forgive Tyler, didn't you?" she asked, to which she received no reply. "You only came back to try and keep the job you loved, and would stay if it went well, but also prepared to leave quickly if necessary"

"I didn't know what I was going to do when I came back here" Tayla replied honestly, and Katie knew that. "You knew that. I just needed a push in the right direction to make me realize what choice I needed to make"

"Look, I know you're scared, and understandably so. But you can't live your life on the run if it gets tough" she informed Tayla, who looked to be getting visibly angrier by the second. "Again, I don't want to offend you, but I'm a little concerned for you"

"Concerned why?" Tayla snapped, practically slamming the glass she had down on the counter top.

"I know you just forgave Tyler, but I also know you don't fully trust him. Are you not moving in because you're also afraid you won't be able to trust him again? And if anything with you both goes south you can pick up and leave?" Katie asked warily, certain she had crossed a line.

"Look," Tayla began, feeling the rage boil inside her. "You don't need to be concerned for me. Thank you for your concern, but it is misplaced. I'm fine, I'm not worried about my situation with Tyler, we've patched things up. It's just been a very busy beginning of the season article wise. By the time I go to unpack I'm just tired" she growled, turning around to regain her composure.

"Tay-"

"And speaking of work, I probably should go there" she interrupted Katie, having heard enough.

"Alright" Katie sighed, feeling bad for dumping this all on her. "I know you're mad at me, but just keep what I said in the back of your mind" she added, before getting up and leaving the condo without waiting for a response from Tayla.

After hearing the door close, Tayla tried to begin to calm herself down. Why did Katie think just because she didn't unpack a few boxes it meant she didn't truly want to be here? She wasn't the type to run away with things got tough, but what was her option when she found out about Tyler's antics? She couldn't stay with him, she just needed some time to think; some time to herself.

Taking the glass she had now emptied, she threw it across the room, it hitting the back of her couch and breaking on the floor below on impact. She needed a way to let out her frustrations, and as childish as it was, the shattered glass made her feel better.

Tayla 12:03p.m.

I need more advice. When are you free for a wine night?

She sent a text to Justin, really needing his perspective on this.

Justin 12:04 p.m.

Tonight work for you?

Tayla 12:04 p.m.

Absolutely !!

Justin 12:04p.m.

see u tonight lovely

She threw her phone on the couch, and flopped herself on it afterwards. Why couldn't anything just be simple?