Status: in progress

Promises to Keep

christmas part one

It was the day before Christmas Eve, and Tyler and Tayla found themselves heading home. The Stars had the next five days off, and both Tyler and Tayla agreed sharing the news they would be becoming a family was something they wanted to share in person. Typically, people waited three months before letting people know, but because of how far away they lived and timing, they both agreed; it was going to be an interesting Christmas.

Going home brought back some bad memories for Tayla; the last time she was home, she fought with her sister, and was not on talking terms with Tyler. She tried her best to get the thoughts to leave her mind, but it was hard. She knew her sister was going to be home; there was no avoiding her.

"It'll be okay" Tyler assured Tayla, spooking her out of her thoughts. "I know that look- I know you're worried; but it'll be fine, I promise" he squeezed her hand as reassurance. The plane had just landed, and they were waiting to head into the airport, to be greeted by Cassidy, who was here to pick them up. Cassidy also had no idea of the news; Tayla did intend on telling her as soon as she saw her.

"I just- I don't want to see my sister" Tayla murmured quietly. "The last time I was here, well, she wanted to try and date you-"

"Wait, what?" Tyler asked, surprised. "You never told me that"

"Oh, yeah" Tayla muttered. "She asked if you were single, because you're out of my league and she was single too" Tayla explained the conversation briefly.

"I've already turned her down twice, I don't think she-"

"Okay, now you wait" Tayla gasped, shocked. "She's tried to get with you before!? Why didn't you tell me that?" Tayla asked, slightly outraged, though glad it was something he never mentioned.

"It happened so long ago- at the time it didn't seem worth mentioning... you know, because I wanted to get with you" Tyler said with a slight grin.

"I guess now that I think about it, she always was really flirtatious towards you..." Tayla trailed off, beginning to feel emotional. Oh god, she thought to herself; was she about to start crying? She didn't even feel upset by the revelation; she was not worried about anything happening between her sister and Tyler in the slightest; why was she about to cry?

They were finally walking off the plane when she felt tears stinging her eyes.

"Please don't cry" Tyler urged, feeling guilty for even bringing it up. "I'm sorry for even bringing it up"

"It's not even that" Tayla laughed through her tears. "To be totally honest with you, I have zero clue as to why I'm even crying" she continued to wipe her tears and laugh. "Cass!" Tayla greeted, wiping the tears away.

"Tay! Ty!" Cass greeted, her smile disappearing when she noticed Tayla's tears. "Are you okay!?" she asked with worry.

"Oh, I'm fine" Tayla laughed, sniffling. "I guess they weren't kidding when they said when you're pregnant your hormones and emotions are-"

"YOU'RE WHAT!" Cassidy exploded with a large smile, looking to Tyler who was grinning from ear to ear. "Oh, my god! Congratulations!! I can't believe I'm going to be an Aunt!" she shrieked, earning a few glances from the people around them. "How far along?"

"Just a month- I know it's a little early to tell people, but the timing seemed right with it being Christmas and us being home" Tayla rambled, finally composing herself. "Okay, I'm good now" she smiled. "Ready to go spread some Christmas joy?" she asked, referring to the dinner with both her and Tyler's parents to tell them the good news.

"Oh- some not so joyous news" Cassidy bit her lip. "Unfortunately, your sister is going to be coming to dinner" she frowned, knowing Tayla was going to be less than thrilled with the news.

"I figured as much" Tayla muttered, unhappily. "But it's fine. Today is a happy day- and it's all going to be fine" Tayla tried to convince herself, though she didn't believe it. She wasn't sure what to expect with her sister being there, but she knew she wouldn't be prepared

"That doesn't sound convincing..." Cassidy trailed off, eyeing Tayla with sympathy.

"I know. I'm just trying to be positive" Tayla shrugged, as the trio made the way to the car.

*********

"So, we have some news to share" Tyler finally announced. They were all sitting around the table, awaiting the arrival of their meals. They had just finished appetizers, and not knowing when to bring it up, decided that there was no time like the present.

"Oh?" Tayla's mother asked.

"It's a little early, but since it's Christmas and we're all here together, so we thought this was the perfect time to announce..." Tayla trailed off, biting her lip nervously.

"Tayla's pregnant" Tyler blurted out before Tayla had the chance. There was a moment of silent shock, before both Tayla's parents and Tyler's had huge grins on their faces.

"Oh, my god!" Tyler's mother gasped, tears forming in her eyes. "I'm going to be a grandmother!" she then gushed to her husband, who looked at his son proudly.

"Tayla!" Tayla's mom smiled widely. "I'm SO happy for the both of you!" she was all smiles. "We're going to be grand parents! Isn't this amazing!?" she asked Tyler's parents, who nodded, all smiling. Tayla let out tears of joy, feeling truly relieved everyone was taking the news so well.

"We're really excited" Tayla spoke up, wiping her tears away, hand gripping Tyler's tightly under the table. "And hoping for a girl" she added with a wink.

"But, we're having a boy, so maybe next time" Tyler added with a wink.

"You'll have to keep us updated every step of the way" Tayla's mom lectured. "And of course, we're all going to want to come down once he or she is born" she gushed, excited for her first grandchild. "You're going to be an Aunt, Sarah! Isn't that exciting?" she then turned and asked.

"Sure. Congrats" she muttered, in a bad mood. Things weren't going well for her, and hearing how great the life of her sister was going was doing nothing to help. "Always thought we had the common sense to be married before getting knocked up, though" she added under her breath, but it did not go unnoticed by Cassidy.

"Excuse you?" Cassidy asked in a hushed whisper. Luckily, Tayla had turned her attention to her mother and father, who were chatting with excitement. Tyler turned his attention to Cassidy and
Sarah, with a frown. "What the hell is your problem!?"

"I'm not the slut who got knocked up before marriage" Sarah snapped, the both having an argument whispering.

"Tayla is not a slut" Tyler shot back through gritted teeth. "If you want to talk about this further, let's step outside for a sec" Tyler shot up in his seat. "Be right back" he kissed Tayla on the cheek, before getting up from the table, practically dragging Sarah with him.

"Hey" she shrugged her arm away from Tyler, who had a very firm grip.

"What the hell is your problem?" he asked Sarah furiously.

"My problem?" Sarah asked, genuinely offended.

"Yeah. Whatever problem you have with Tayla? Has got to stop" Tyler spat. "I don't know what the fuck your issue is. You're always trying to put her down, insulting her, making her feel like shit...
enough is enough"

"I- I don't know what you're-"

"Don't even play dumb with me" Tyler snapped. "You've done it ever since I can remember. I've always wanted to say something to you about it but I promised Tay I never would. But now? Now it's time you understand something" Tyler fumed, pausing for a moment. "I love Tayla. I've loved her since we were in high school, and I'm always going to love her. If you want to be apart of our and the baby's life, then your attitude needs to change" he breathed, finally letting out all of his anger and frustrations on her. It was a long time coming he wanted to give her a piece of his mind.

"Just because you picked the wrong sister, doesn't mean-"

"I don't know what went wrong with you" Tyler shook his head. "Tayla is the sweetest, nicest, down to earth girl you'll ever meet. I don't understand how you can be so goddamn selfish" he sneered. "If you're going to keep being a bitch, don't bother coming back to the table" he added, before brushing past her, back to the table.

Upon returning, he sat down, waiting to see if Sarah was going to come back to the table. Much to his surprise, she didn't follow him back.

"Where's Sarah? Dinner is here" Tayla's mom asked, and Tyler simply shrugged.

"Not sure" he admitted, and that was the truth. Having her around was cancerous and brought great stress to Tayla; and that was the last thing he wanted.