Status: in progress

Promises to Keep

boy or girl?

"So, do you think you'll find out today?" Katie asked, with excitement evident in her voice. Tayla pondered on the question for awhile before responding.

"I'm not sure- I mean, I kind of wanted Tyler to be there too, you know?" Tayla replied, taking the last sip of her water before setting it down on the table of the café the trio seemed to visit so often.

It seemed to become a weekly event; the three of them would meet for a coffee, catch up, and gossip; it was something all three didn't realize they needed.

"That makes sense" Justin agreed. "But I'm sure he'd understand, right?" he then asked with a sly grin.

"We all know you're probably the most curious out of all of us" Katie snickered, and Justin rolled his eyes.

"Okay, so maybe I am; big deal. Don't you want to know!?" Justin asked, eyebrows raised.

"Of course I do" Tayla insisted. "But I feel like it's something I want Tyler to be there for..." she trailed off, before smirking. "Or maybe, I won't find out at all"

"What." Justin stated seriously, looking confused and devastated.

"I mean, maybe it can be a surprise for us all when he/she is born" Tayla smirked, knowing it would destroy Justin. Ever since it was discovered she was pregnant, Justin had been very adamant in finding out the gender. He wasn't sure why, but it appeared he was the most anxious out of anybody to find out.

"Do not do that to me" Justin groaned. "Please" he pleaded weakly.

"We'll see" Tayla winked, taking a bite of the cheesecake she so desperately craved. "I'm going to gain, like, 50 pounds of just cheesecake I'm fairly certain" she added with a satisfied moan. "I feel like I've already gained like 100 pounds" she then frowned.

"You're like, what, 5 months now?" Justin asked, and Tayla nodded.

"You haven't even gained 20 pounds" Katie informed her, trying to make her feel better. She knew Tayla's emotions easily got the better of her since she got pregnant; something that bothered Tayla immensely.

"Yeah, girl, you look great! You'd look even greater if-"

"Nice try" Katie interrupted him. Justin simply rolled his eyes, and laughed lightly.

"Look, all I'm saying is, is that it could be fun to throw a little gender reveal party for Tyler and teammates-" he subsequently cut himself off. "I got it!" Justin cheered eagerly.

"You didn't have to shout" Tayla laughed at her friend's enthusiasm. "What is it?"

"I'll go with you to your appointment, get them to tell ME the gender, and Katie and I will plan a gender reveal party for you, Tyler, and whoever!" Justin clapped happily. Katie's face lit up with excitement, while Tayla's remained skeptical.

"Oh, come on!" Katie looked at Tayla, instantly knowing her thoughts. "It's a good idea! Please!?" she all but begged, siding with Justin. Tayla rolled her eyes; the pair of them were relentless.

"Fine" she finally agreed.

"Really?" Justin asked with excitement.

"Yeah, really" Tayla smirked. "Tyler gets back from the road trip Friday, and then they don't play until Monday" she informed Justin; Katie had already known. "So-"

"So I have two days to plan the most amazing gender reveal the great city of Dallas has ever seen!?" Justin leaped up with excitement. He sat down, realizing he had caused a scene. "Challenge accepted" he then added, though his face was turning red.

"I've got faith in you, ya weirdo" Tayla winked, rubbing her stomach. "Now hurry up, or we'll be late"

***********

"So, would you like to know the gender of your baby?" the nurse asked Tayla and Justin, who had gone with her.

"I would" Justin confirmed, nodding his head. "But she doesn't want to know- is that possible?" he asked the nurse, who, while looked a little confused, wasn't overly phased by it; these days everyone was all about the gender reveals.

"Of course," the nurse smiled, quickly writing a word on a piece of paper before handing it to Justin.
"Congratulations, you guys" she replied, to which Tayla and Justin simply laughed. It wasn't unusual for Tayla and Justin to be presumed together, and both the happy, future parents of the child Tayla was carrying.

"Guuuurl" Justin all but squealed, tucking the piece of paper in his pocket. "Congratulations!" he tapped her on the shoulder as they strolled out of the hospital.

"You better have not just given that away to me" Tayla looked at Justin sternly.

"I didn't! I promise!" Justin stuck his hands up in the air in defense. "Just get ready for the best gender reveal of your life" he smiled, wrapping his arm around her shoulders.

"You're really hyping this up, aren't you?" Tayla laughed, resting her head on Justin's shoulder for a moment, closing her eyes. "I really need to take a nap, I think" she added.

"Let's get you home- I've got a party to plan, anyway" Justin ushered her into his car, closing the door behind her. "This is going to be the best party ever" he smiled, running around to the driver's side of the car; he hadn't been so excited for something in his entire life.

*********

Tyler

did the appointment go well?

Tayla

it did. I didn't find out though, but Justin did

Tyler

.... random??

Tayla

he wants to plan us a gender reveal party. accept it, it's happening

Tyler

i'm always down for a party

Tyler laughed at Justin's enthusiasm.

Tayla

heading for a nap now though. will be rooting for you tonight!! xx

Tyler

sleep well, love

"So?" Jamie asked, plopping down on the bed across from Tyler's. It was after their morning skate, and the pair were just relaxing in their hotel room, before they would begin their pre-game rituals.

"So what?" Tyler asked, genuinely confused.

"Oh, don't do that to me" Jamie rolled his eyes. "What are you having? Future little Dallas Star?" he asked, anxious to find out.

"I don't know, she didn't find out" Tyler informed him, who was surprised. "But Justin knows" he added with a laugh.

"Justin knows? Why?" Jamie asked, this time it was him that was genuinely confused.

"Gender reveal party" Tyler rolled his eyes, throwing his phone on the bed.

"Oh, god" Jamie groaned. "I have to go, don't I?" he asked, and Tyler nodded.

"I'm not doing this alone!" Tyler laughed, though he was anxious to find out the sex of the baby, he could do it without the theatrics he was sure Justin would impose on them.

"Guess we're waiting to find out" Jamie shrugged, a little disappointed. "Disappointing. I'm curious. Do you think Katie knows?" he asked Tyler, pulling out his phone and sending his girlfriend a quick text.

"Doubtful. Justin goes with Tay for all her appointments- and he seems pretty set on this party" Tyler rambled, slightly jealous.

"Are you alright? You seem... jealous?" Jamie wasn't sure he was using the right word.

"Why would I be jealous?" Tyler snapped a little too quickly, revealing to Jamie that Justin going to appointments with Tayla clearly upset him. "Ok, I'm jealous" he grumbled, a little embarrassed by this feat.

"What's to be jealous about? It's not like Justin is going to get with Tayla" Jamie snickered, dismissing Tyler's jealousy.

"I know that" Tyler shot back, getting up from the bed. He began to pace, running his hand through his hair lightly. "It's just- he gets to experience all this with her; I don't. I'm suppose to be the one there for her and her appointments. But I haven't been to a single one" Tyler sighed. "I feel like she'll resent me for missing out"

"That's rather ridiculous" Jamie dismissed his claim right away. "I don't think Tayla cares if you go to the hospital with her for some boring ass appointment she doesn't even want to sit through. Besides, all she's going to care about is how you react after the baby is born" he told him. "Dammit, you're right; Katie doesn't know" his face fell once he got his girlfriend's response back.

Tyler let Jamie's words sink in. Maybe he was right; maybe he had to concentrate on how he was going to make sure he was there for her in every way possible.
♠ ♠ ♠
so... boy or girl??