Status: in progress

Promises to Keep

game one

"Game one of round one in the Stanley Cup Playoffs- this is amazing!" Nick yelled to Tayla over the screaming of the loud crowd. They had travelled to Vegas to see the games; Nick, Katie, Cassidy and Tayla. "I can't believe you've been to so many games!" he then added in awe.
Vegas was a truly exceptional place to be during the playoffs. After their inaugural season run last year, and all the theatrics they had put into their pre-game shows was awe-inspiring. Sure, sometimes it was a little too much, and all Tayla wanted was for them to get to the game already, but seeing it in person was something else.

"It's amazing here!" Cassidy yelled, it being her first time to Vegas also. It was the first time any of them had been to a hockey game in Vegas, and though the game hadn't even started yet they were already in awe.

"I've never been to anything so intense before!" Katie commented, as they finally sat down after all the theatrics were said and done. The boys lined up for the opening faceoff; and they were off. The Stanley Cup Playoffs had officially begun.

The first round saw the Stars vs the Knights, Jets vs the Preds, Kings vs Sharks, and Ducks vs Flames in the West, and Leafs vs Bruins, Lightning vs Wings, Capitals vs Bluejackets (for what felt like the one millionth time), and Pens vs Flyers. There were very few changes from last years playoffs; the Stars making it being one of them. Tayla wasn't a fan of how the new format for the playoffs was; it was fine being 1v8, 2v7, etc. But, of course, the NHL was more concerned about money than anything else, so changed their format, despite many people disagreeing with the choice.

Regardless, here they were, and the game was on. Tayla was happy; she was surrounded by newfound friend, Katie, Tyler's sister, Cassidy, and her new boyfriend, Nick. Things with Nick were going very well, and she was extremely happy. Tyler was turning out to be right; moving to Dallas and getting a fresh start was exactly what she needed.

Of course, during the game she would be taking notes; she had an article due shortly before midnight tonight. She always managed to get her work in early, and as quickly as possible. Her father knew this, and he often read everything she wrote before anyone else had even seen it.

"Dammit" she cursed under her breath. The Knights had scored the first game of the series. William Karlsson, the Golden Knight who had come from an 8 goal year from his previous team, to a 40 goal year with the new expansion team the year before. Signing a nice deal, he remained comfortably in Vegas, and was still doing fantastic; much to the dismay of Tayla, and all Stars fans.

"They'll get it back" Nick quipped, looking at the jumbotron. "It's only ten minutes into the first- they got this!" he tried to be positive, but things only got worse.

After the first period, while the score was only 1-0, they were outshot 18-6. They got themselves into penalty trouble, and spent half the period in the box. They looked like they were running around in their own end, leading to some fantastic opportunities for the Knights, forcing the Stars goaltender to be spectacular.

In the second, the game for the Stars truly fell apart. Only three minutes into the second frame, they were down 4-0. The Knights had scored three goals in a span of three minutes. The Stars pulled their goalie in an attempt to get the team back into the game, but nothing seemed to help. They were down 5-0, and being outshot 30-11 going into the third period.

"I can't watch much more of this" Tayla finally said aloud. They didn't talk much during the play, or even in the intermissions. They got a bit of jeering from the Knights fans, but in general they were all pretty well behaved and sympathetic.

"This is absolutely painful" Cassidy agreed, feeling for her brother and how hard he would be taking the loss. He was a minus four on the night; nothing seemed to be going right for him. Not much better could be said of Jamie, of course; his stats were just as bad.

"I am not prepared to deal with how cranky they're going to be after this" Katie said, her nose wrinkled. She felt her heart pump with anxiety; Jamie was going to take this hard. He was the captain, and took this duty very seriously. Being a player who nobody really thought would make it far, he was turning heads and making a name as one of the most underrated players in the game; though watching this game, you would not think so.

"Are they usually bad?" Nick asked innocently. Tayla and Cassidy both nodded their heads vigorously.

"Yep. They are" Katie spoke up for the three of them. They fell silent once more, as they prepared for the worst in the upcoming third period.

They didn't have high hopes going into the final frame; it couldn't get any worse though, could it?
The third went just as poorly for the Stars as the first and second; badly outshot, spending a lot of the time in the penalty box, and being scored on twice more. The only difference was breaking Fleury's shutout. Tyler scored the only goal for the Stars in the 7-1 loss in game one of the conference quarter finals. The only time the play started to go their way was in the last three minutes of the game, where they got 7 shots and scored their only goal.

"They can take that energy into the next game?" Nick stated, though it came out as more of a question than anything.

"Yeah..." Tayla trailed off, taking final notes for her article as they made their way back to the hotel. "Maybe" she added, still deep into thought. The article was going to basically write itself; though it was not one she wanted to write. She hated writing articles that painted Tyler in a bad light; it made her uncomfortable.

"Are you ready to handle them?" Katie asked, once they got back to the hotel.

"I don't think I'll ever be ready" Cassidy scoffed, and Tayla let out a laugh despite herself.

"I have to write my article" Tayla reminded Nick, who nodded.

"I'm going to grab a quick drink at the bar so you can get it done" he smiled, and gave her a kiss on the cheek.

"Thanks, love" Tayla smiled, and Katie and Cassidy 'Awwed' behind her. "Shush" she added to them when Nick walked towards the hotel bar.

"We're just happy for you" Katie told her, smiling. Both her and Cassidy exchanged a look however, and they both seemed to know; Tyler had deeper feelings towards Tayla then he lead on. Though they were happy for their friend, they couldn't help but feel bad for Tyler.