Status: Thanks for reading! Leave a comment and a recommendation!

The Ones Who Left

The Captain

James looked down at the blue cowl in his hands. He ran his thumb around the textured edge around the eye sockets, along the smooth temples, across the forehead and towards the back.

Today, it looked new. As if he was seeing it for the first time.

He had a couple more minutes before he was needed. He could take another moment to gather his foggy thoughts.

James laid the mask on the bed beside him and flexed both hands- flesh and metal. His bones cracked and the vibranium clicked. He felt a lethargic heaviness fall over him, causing him to hunch his shoulders forward and lean his elbows on his knees.

He ran his right hand through his thick, brown hair- short and coiffed, and down along his cleanly-shaven jawline, sighing deeply.

“Barnes,” a voice barked from behind his closed bedroom door. James jumped at the sudden noise, swearing. “Time to go. Rhodes is gettin’ mean,” Sam continued, quickly walking away before James had the chance to respond. He sighed again, rubbing his eyes with his hot hand.

He stood, picking up his mask with him, and headed for the door, quickly glancing into the standing mirror as he passed it. His uniform had been recently revamped by Shuri- less red, more navy, less patriotic, more stealthy. He preferred it this way. He liked to see it dark, used, dirty. It made him feel as though there was less to live up to this way. It made him feel as though he had more power and control.

When he made it to the center of the bunker, he immediately moved to stand with Colonel Rhodes, who was wearing his bright silver iron suit without the helmet. His dark skin was shining with sweat from the heat of its weight.

“Captain,” Rhodes acknowledged him, nodding.

“What’ve we got?” James asked quietly. The others were beginning to gather, as well- Peter and Sam were talking along one wall, and Wanda and T’Challa were sitting quietly at the table.

“There’s a hostage situation in Manhattan- they sent SWAT in earlier. That’s why we’re only getting word now. But, SWAT was unsuccessful after several attempts to terminate the hostiles. They only took down two of them in those attempts- and in return the hostiles killed two hostages and a couple of the SWAT they sent in. So, now they’re moving slower. We don’t know for sure how many hostiles there are, but a rough count was at least twenty.” James narrowed his eyes with concern.

“Twenty? Where?”

“Social Security Administration,” Rhodes replied calmly, anticipating James’s confused expression. “They still don’t have all the details. I’m just as lost. But, we gotta get going now.”

“Peter, Sam, T’Challa, you’re running defense tonight,” James began, projecting his voice across the bunker so the others would focus up. “Take care of the hostages first, hostiles second. Wanda, you’re with Rhodes and me. We’re hitting the source- whatever their motive is for being there, they have to be looking for some kind of information.”

“Cap,” Sam started, locking eyes with James. “Shouldn’t someone stay with the Doctor?” James held a stoic expression, pausing for a moment.

“You volunteering, Wilson?”

“I’m just saying, some of us,” he said, shifting his eyes in Peter’s direction dramatically. “Might be more helpful sticking around here for tonight.” Peter stared at Sam miserably, still trying to get used to his teasing.

“Well then Wilson, help us out by staying here. Parker, keep him company. Keep up with Shuri and her observations of that doctor. Be ready in case she needs back up. He’s still unpredictable. T’Challa and Rhodes will take care of hostages, and Wanda and I will go high.

“Everyone got that?” They all nodded. James slipped his mask over his head. “Let’s move.”

As he moved towards the garage with the others, he grabbed his new shield from its wall mount. It matched his sleek uniform- three-pointed vibranium, with a white star in the center contrasting the black and navy blue background, lined with deep red. He tucked his fist through the leather straps and gripped it tightly. He pulled it close to his body securely and took in a deep breath, centering himself.

Another day, another crisis for Captain America.
♠ ♠ ♠
Wanted to post this to see what kind of interest it generates. I'll be writing the next two chapters in the next few days. Please comment, subscribe, and recommend if you like it! Thanks for reading!