Status: Faces don't define us

Against the World

Chapter 1

Describing Jazlin Davis would be like describing a plant in a library. Completely unnoticed and utterly useless. Like, you go to a library to read books, not to stop and look at the disgusting rotten leaves of a Speckled Adler.

But like an Adler little thing she was, Jazlin was strong despite her appearance and could withstand the stormy weather of cranky seniors in the morning like it was just a small drizzle.

She was beautiful in her own way, and loved her friends no matter the amount and was okay with how her life turned out to be.

Jazlin Davis is also an excellent liar.

"How's the project going?" her little sister, Jay asked.

Jazlin looked down at the draft she had started, stifling the kind of laugh that sounded like her aunt Megan's snort when she realized she dealt a "Go Fish!" deck to a poker game.

It was the beginning week to her new high school at Serenity Lake High and already she hated it. Junior year and she was already forced to write a cheesy little thing about herself to the class. Jazlin decided talking about a boring plant in a more boring library setting was not a good first impression.

Her first day was yesterday, the people breezing past her with the most atrocious perfume, ignoring her as usual. She took her time mentally organizing the people from her classes into cliques that mostly went from: "Stay Away From Us You Weirdo Group" to the "Yes, We Rot Our Brains 26/8 With Drugs, Wanna Try? Group".

There were a total of 68 people (mostly girls) she decided to not even make eye contact with because of how scary they seemed to shout with their actions and appearance.

Even through she was "Fresh Meat", no one seemed to deem her worthy of saying just a small hello after getting a two second look at her.

She told herself that it was because they were just shy of meeting her. That they would actually like her when they got to know her enough. That they wouldn't walk away from her like the others before them.

But Jazlin was always such a beautiful liar, sometimes she could even trick herself.

"Uh, hello? Earth to Jazlin? Can you please try to have a better attention span than a goldfish? I would really appreciate it," Jay said, annoying her more than her fullest capacity.

"Yes the project is going fine now go away!" Jazlin retorted, pushing the curious eight year old girl out of her room.

An hour and thirty-six minutes later, Jazlin had finished off with the almost-perfect paragraph that was supposed to describe her whole personality and life. It had been hard, so of course she awarded herself with a Snickers bar she stashed beneath her clothes drawer.

Jazlin grabbed her phone from the dinosaur era and waited for Instagram to load, playing with the ends of her broken phone case. She knew what social media did to girls like her, but like the Druggie Clique, she couldn't stay away from the bad.

She started to follow some of the quiet people that had requested to follower her (surprisingly) and came to a total of fourteen followers. It only took 24 hours until she lost a good solid five followers (not surprisingly). Not bad for the first day of high school in a whole new town.

She even saw some of the popular kids from her grade in her suggested column below, knowing she would never actually try to follow them. She didn't want to bring that much attention towards her. But it wouldn't have mattered anyways because all of their accounts were public, allowing creepy perverts or stalkers to manage away their life pictures.

Jazlin noticed some of the girls in her Science class and had to fight the urge of envy. Their life seemed so perfect and amazing, pictures of their sweet sixteen party or their boyfriends and just having the time of their lives.

Her parents would murder her if she posted or did any of the things those girls did. But Jazlin wondered what it would be like to have the perfect life that other girls envied, but the fantasy died as soon as it formed. Like as if her own mind couldn't comprehend that kind of happiness for someone like herself.

She sighed dramatically and wasted another night, dreaming about things she knew were too far from her reach and lied herself to sleep.