Status: Faces don't define us

Against the World

Chapter 3

Bianca honestly felt sorry for the poor girl that day. Sure, she ran into her boyfriend (probably on purpose just to feel his muscles, countless other girls had tried as well) and then bounced back to her and knocked the bubble tea out of her hands.

If it were any other girl on the cheer club, they would've talked smack right off the bat and created a huge scene that would destroy the victim's ego. But Bianca had changed, she no longer wanted to become like the evil Queen B in those pathetic movies, especially because everyone knew they lost everything at the end.

Tanner had wrapped a hand over her shoulders after the girl knocked her drink. Bianca didn't know what to make of this girl, not knowing if she was a greedy snake after her boyfriend or if she was just not paying attention.

"Oh God, I'm so sorry. I mean no harm," she had said, tears leaking down her cheeks.

And it was at that moment where the whole world had stopped.

Her spilt tea had created a shattered painting on the ground and the girl's red-sore eyes filled up with pools of tears. It was like looking at a mirror because this girl, whoever she was, reminded Bianca of herself during the past.

Unlike Bianca's naturally straight blond hair, this girl had unruly brown curls, bouncing with every movement she took. But it were the eyes that set Bianca off. They were strange, like melted pools of silver that could strike anyone off if intended to. Bianca then realized that this girl could be pretty if she had the effort to put some product in her hair and had courage. Because beauty was useless without confidence.

"It's okay," Bianca said, going for the girl with an outstretched arm.

But it was too late, the girl with the brown curls had sprinted across the hall like her life depended on it.

"That crazy bitch, she spilt your bubble tea," Missy Daniels had spurted out, looking at the abandoned drink.

"Hey, it was just an accident. Let the janitors know what they have to clean," Bianca ordered, sinking into the comfort of Tanner's huge frame.

There was a crowd surrounding her that she didn't even know, empty eyes craving for unnecessary drama. Bianca frowned. "What's that girl's name?"

"Jazlin. Jazlin Davis," Kacie Thomas answered quickly, blushing after her abrupt announcement.

Kacie had tried out for the cheer team countless times but no matter how many times you told the wannabes that the team was looking for was actual girls that had flexibility, they concluded that the team was looking for hot popular girls. So for overachiever Kacie Thomas, failing tryouts more than once was considered an embarrassment.

Bianca guessed she was going to get a lot of ass-kissing from Kacie through out the year. She sighed dramatically and stalked towards her locker.

She grabbed her things for English and trudged away before Kacie or Missy started to follow her about gossip and shopping.

It was awkward how her English room was so close to the office room, it almost made Bianca restless as if the principals were spying at the students across from them.

Bianca almost jumped out of her seat when she saw Jazlin again. But this time she had the look of fear splattered across her pale face, running out of the school doors.

There was a lot of commotion that followed up, one of the vice principals, Ashley McDougal, tried to chase Jazlin but realized that running probably wasn't the best for high heels. And then, he came.

This boy, not much older than she was, looked like the angle himself with a devil's smile. Bianca was strung with a bolt of jealousy. Why was he smiling after Jazlin? Did they know each other? Worse, are they together? Not if Bianca could have it.

She had enough time to talk to the new boy since she practically ran here to avoid her 'friends'. But first, Bianca took out her compact mirror and finger-combed her hair until it looked perfect. Pinching her cheeks to get color in them, she reapplied some lip gloss and was on her way to a new boyfriend.

Bianca had her notes with her and pretended to be reading them and 'accidently' knocked into the boys shoulder. "Excuse you!"

Bianca was a bit ticked off by how long it took for his attention to finally reach her. She let out an unexpected gasp by how transfixed his appearance was. He was perfect.

Wavy chocolate brown hair drooped over one ember eye, lips that could do wonderful things and a smile that could kill.

He took his time checking out her hourglass body, making Bianca blush ever so slightly and then he did that devil's smile. Straight white teeth. Holy Lords.

"Watch where you're going next time, mon lapin," he said, voice turning rough when he spoke the French words.

Shit, Bianca dropped French a long time ago and now it was like he was speaking gibberish. But it was still hot.

"What's your name, sexy?" Bianca purred, twirling a piece of golden hair between her acrylic nails.

He looked at her with surprise, as if no one had dared to ask that question. Odd.

"Let's play a game. I'll ask a simple question and say... if you get it right, I tell you my name," he said, his accent getting thicker.

Bianca let out a Cheshire smile she made herself practice in front of the mirror until it was perfect. "And if I get it wrong?"

"Then you owe me something important," he replied, an amused glint glowing in his eyes. "Now lets begin. Say hypothetically you were about to do something horrible. Something so bad, that no one would ever forgive you. But once you did it, you would finally be happy. Once you are released of this sin by completing another, you are free of this madness and can finally feel joy on your lips and feel the laughter in your throat. Would you do it?"

Bianca let out a surprised grunt. She didn't know that his question would be a yes or no one so it kinda made it hard to of what to expect. Not to mention the mood that suddenly casted over their heads.

"Uh, well..." Bianca cleared her throat. Why was she getting nervous all of a sudden. She never got the butterflies but now it was like they were trying to escape her stomach. Like they were afraid of something. Someone. "I would do it. I wouldn't want to live the rest of my life in misery and yeah if this 'bad thing' of yours doesn't affect anyone I love or care about, I guess it will be worth it because at least then I would be happy."

His smile grew larger, the glint in his eyes dancing more quicker. He walked closer to her and Bianca slowly took some steps back to create some room for Jesus but the look on his face told different.

They continued this until Bianca was flat against the wall, his tall form shadowing over hers. He placed one strong arm over to the side of her head, the air between them getting hotter and hotter.

He suddenly leaned very close and for a second Bianca thought she was going to be kissed. But instead, he brushed his lips against her ear that sent a shiver down her spine.

"... James," he whispered, sending his hot breath against her neck.

"What?" Bianca replied softly, dazed by what was happening.

But then his warmth was gone. Ripped apart actually. Bianca reached her arms forward but was met with air instead of his body. But then she realized it was because of Tanner.

Tanner was seriously getting into a fist fight with the new kid in front of the office doors. It was like he wanted to get in detention or something.

"Stop! Tanner stop this!" Bianca shouted, trying to get in between them.

Although the two boys were tall, Tanner had the muscles of a body-builder and James was more of the lean swimming muscles. She already knew who would win this fight.

Students came to form a circle, oblivious of the teachers in the room only two feet away from them.

"Don't you ever touch my girlfriend ever again!" Tanner grunted, throwing a right fist punch.

James laughed and ducked before making contact to his perfect face. "Oh please, we only just talked."

They kept going at his pace, Tanner throwing the offense and James ducking with that lightening speed. She figured that if she couldn't stop Tanner from fighting, maybe she could get James to stop. Then she had an idea.

"Stop it James! Jazlin wouldn't want this!" Bianca shouted blindly. She had no idea what she just said but it worked, James stopping like a statue to look her dead in the eyes. She almost wanted to shrink away from his powerful gaze which never happened to her. My Gods this boy was going to be the end of her. Only question was what was his connection to Jazlin?

But as soon as James stopped ducking and teasing, Tanner punched him in the gut until he hurtled forward, groaning ever so slightly. "Lay one finger on Bianca one more time and I'll slap that smirk off your face with my fist!" Tanner shouted.

Teachers had the worst timing ever. It almost made Bianca feel like they were always too afraid to actually stop two boys from fighting so they had to wait until it was over until they could take control of things. It was pathetic really.

"You really think I care what Jazlin thinks?" James asked, ignoring Tanner completely.

Yes. "No," she replied, turning on her heel and walking away from James and Tanner.

Lords, boys are so weird.