Take Me to the Races

Prologue

Beginning of summer 2017 (Pre-Season 1)

I let out a bored sigh, as I refill the salt and pepper shakers. I took a summer job to make some money, but I couldn’t make decent amount without tips. Seeing the empty restaurant, I was starting to wonder if this job was even going to be worth it.
“Don’t worry, day shift will be different.” Pops seem to read my thoughts as he clean the grill.
“I hope so.” I went around the counter to put the shakers back on the tables. I was wiping down a table, when I was blinded by the headlights of a car that was shining through the window. I shut my eyes and only open them again when the headlights turn off. A group of boys all clad in black jackets that had silver spikes and studs all over them came out of a red old fashion car.
“Damn ghoulies.” Pop groans from behind the counter.
“Are they going to be a problem? Should I call Archie?” I ask. My brother who was older than me by a year told me multiple times to call if I need help when he found out I was going to work at Pops. It was night time and only Pop and I were in here. I reach into my back pocket for my phone.
“No, there are no serpents in here, so there should be no problems.” He shook his head. The bell rang above the door as they came in and sat down in a booth.
I finish cleaning up the table before walking over to them. “What can I get you?” I kept my sight on my notepad. I want to get them out as fast as possible.
“No hello, I thought you Northsider were supposed to be raise right with manners and all that shit.” A fit of mischief fill giggles echo around the restaurant. I snap my head up ready to throw a nasty comment his way but, my breath got caught in my throat as I was taken aback by the sight of the handsome man. He had thick black curls, a thin mustache, high cheekbones and smirk that made shivers run down my spine. His light brown skin seems to glow under the dim lights of Pop’s.
I let out the breath I was holding as I gather myself. “Hello, what the fuck can I get you?” I snarl out. Pops let out a frustrated sigh from behind me.
The boy surprises me again, by throwing his head back laughing. His friends look at him for a second before following his actions. They were quick to stop laughing when he did. “What do you normally get, Riverdale Vixen?” He licks his lips as he looked me up and down.
I scrunch up my nose at the thought of being one of Cheryl Blossom’s mindless followers. “I’m no vixen and I normally get a bacon cheeseburger with fries and a cookie n cream milkshake.” I narrow my eyes to let him know to never call me that again.
He looks over at his friends who nod their head before looking back at me. “We’ll get five of those orders.” I raise an eyebrow seeing as there were only four of them, but decide not to question it. I walk over to give Pops the order.
“You be careful over there. He finds you cute now, but who know how much more lip he’ll take from you.” Pops warn me, before going back into the kitchen to make their order.
A wolf whistle was thrown across the room cause me to turn around. He was now sitting by himself in the next booth over. He wave at me to come over and I went to him. “You need anything else?” I ask.
“I need for you to sit right there.” He points to the seat across from him.
“Can’t, I’m working.” I whine as if it pains me to turn him down. It kind of did, it wasn’t often I got a good looking male attention. We were a small town, but it seems like we had more than our fair share of beautiful people. It was easy to fade into the background. Which I didn’t mind, I like being a wallflower. It wasn’t until this moment under his passionate stare that I realize what I was missing. The excitement that fills me from: the butterflies in my lower stomach, the tightness in my chest, and the blush in my cheeks. It made sense now why girls turn into drooling mess that could only bat their eyes and twirl their hair in the presence of a good look man. At this moment there wasn’t anything I wanted more than to do just that. Well, there were a few more things, but nothing appropriate or legal to do in a public place.
“It’s only us in here and as one of your only customers I would say it’s your responsibility to keep me company.” He gave me the push I need to slide into the seat opposite from him.
“I want you to know that I’m only sitting here, because I’m a good waitress. But, if anyone else comes in I have to go help them.” I told him in a manner of fact of fact way.
“Let’s get to know each other, are you single?” He chuckles as he lean back into his seat. He stretches out his leg so that his feet were on either side of mine.
“You don’t even know my name.” I roll my eyes.
“Yes I do, it’s Abigail.” He points to my name tag.
“What’s your name?” I ask. I didn’t think it was possible, but his smile grew larger as he was happy that I was as curious about him as he was of me.
“My name is Malachai. Do you have a boyfriend or girlfriend?” He wiggles his eyebrows.
“I don’t have a boyfriend or a girlfriend.” I shook my head, being vague on purpose.
“And you’re into?” He taps his fingers repeatedly on top of the table, waiting impatiently for my answer.
“As far as I know males,” I look up at the ceiling as if I had to wonder about the answer. He let out a loud laugh.
“How old are you?” He tilts his head to the side as if he tries to guess the answer.
“I just turn 15 and I’m going to start my freshmen year.” I look him up and down, hoping he was around my age.
“I’m 18. Now that we got over the boring details, tell me about yourself.” He lean forward, excited to get more interesting information. The bell dings letting me know that the order was ready.
“I’ll be back.” I got up to grab the big tray. Pops gave me a warning look that I ignored. I gave his three friends their food. “Where the extra burger going,” I ask.
“Over there,” A guy point over to Malachai.
“So two meals, you must be really hungry.” I put both of the plates and milkshakes in front of him.
“I’m beginning to think you’re a little dense.” He pushes a burger and shake over to where I was sitting.
“You’re offering me food so I’m going to ignore the insult.” I slide back into my spot. We talk for the rest of my shift. I told him about how my mom left us two years ago, that it annoys me when my brother caters to her when she makes one of her rare visits. My dad has to work all the time now to support us. He told me that his dad left, before he was born and his mom was an alcoholic. The Ghoulies are all he has, and how proud he is to lead them.
He was waiting outside for me as I help close up the place. “You sure about what you’re doing? I’ll give you a ride home.” Pops offers for the third time.
“I’ll be fine.” I gave him a smile of reassurance.
“Alright, goodnight,” He nods grimly.
I wave to him, as I walk out the door. “Your chariot wait, my lady.” Malachai got up from leaning against the hood of the truck and opening the passenger’s door. I got into the car and notice that he’s friends weren’t there.
“Where your friends,” I ask as he got onto the driver’s seat.
“They found another way home.” He shrugs as he starts up the car and pulls out of the parking space. The drive was fills with heavy metal and me giving directions.
He turns towards me after he parked in front of my house. “When can I see you again?” His eyes had such hot intensity, that I knew even if I didn’t want to see him ever again he would find a way back into my life.