Take Me to the Races

The Blackboard Jungle

I was flipping through the mail as I walk back to the house. I let out a groan when I saw there was one from Riverdale General for dad. “Dad, it’s the hospital.” I drop the letter in front of him.
He let out a big sigh before ripping it open. His eyes got big as he read the paper. “This can’t be.” He shook his head rereading the letter.
“What wrong, dad?” I was worried that they did in fact want all the money at once.
“Did you tell anyone about this?” He looks up at me.
“No, you said to focus on Christmas so I did. What’s going on?” I ask, but instead of answering my question he got up and walks away. “Dad!” I call after him as I follow him to Archie room.
“Hey, Arch. Did you say anything to anybody about my medical bill, 'Cause it's been paid, all 86,000 dollars? There was something called an angel donation.” He walks into the room, looking down at the paper.
“No. Well I mean Veronica, but she wouldn't...” He shook his head as he put on his backpack, but he had to pause to think about it. Because, his rich girlfriend definitely would do something like that. “Yeah, I'll ask her.” He adjusts the backpack straps.
“No, I'll get to the bottom of it, you just focus on school. I haven't seen that guitar for a while.” He looks down at the guitar case in Archie’s hand.
“I've been busy. But I spent a lot of break writing songs and I was thinking I would maybe start a band, like the Fred Heads.” He smiles at dad as he walks past him.
“If you're going to do that, do it in the garage. That's why I soundproofed it for you.” Dad laugh as Archie walk down the stair.
“Yes, please do that.” I plead as I follow him. I grab my backpack off the couch and swing it on my back. “I can give you a ride if you like.” I offered as we walk out the door.
“I umm… I didn’t think that a good idea.” He stares at the red truck.
“It’s just a truck, Archie.” I roll my eyes.
“No it’s much more than that.” He walks down the street. I got in the vehicle and follow right behind him.
I follow him for two blocks before I pull up beside him. “You know Malachai would be pissed if he found out you rode in the Red Hot Mama.” I tried to make the ride sound more appealing. I stop the truck when he stops walking.
“What’s the real reason you want to give me a ride?” He turns to me.
“I want to find out if Veronica paid Dad’s bill, if she did then I want to thank her.” I explain to him.
He got into the truck like I had a gun to his head. “This doesn’t mean I approve of this relationship.” He put on his seatbelt.
“It wouldn’t be nearly as much fun if you did.” I tease, taking off down the road. The ride was quiet with Archie staring out the window.
I park the truck and we walk into the school. We look around for the Latina in question. “She’s over there.” I pointed to her.
“Hey Ronnie!” He ran to catch up with her. I was right on his heels.
“Hello.” She beams up at him.
“Did you tell anyone about my dad's hospital bill?” He asks her. I wasn’t sure if he was so straightforward because he wanted to know or to get rid of me.
“Hmm, did I? I may have mentioned it to my mom and dad in passing.” She hummed like she had to think about it.
“Ronnie,” He whines.
“They wanted to help and they have the means to help. What is your dad upset? Are you upset?” She became worried that she may have offended their male egos.
“Ronnie, I'm crazy about you.” He lean down to give her a kiss, but I step in between them.
“Before you guys make out, I would like to say thank you Veronica. If you could tell your parents we are thankful too.” I give her my biggest smile.
“You’re welcome. It was a pleasure to help someone as good as your dad.” She gave me a warm smile back.
“Well, I let you get back to your kissing, but wait until I’m out of eyesight.” I heard them laugh as I hurry to get around the corner. I went over to my friends who were by Tomoko’s locker. “Good morning.” I greeted them. Before they could greet me back a crackle came over the speakers.
“Students of Riverdale High, this is your principal speaking. E-mails have been sent to your parents and it’s effective immediately. Southside High School is shut down and its students will be transferred to other schools in the district, including this one. I believe the statement we're releasing will address your concerns and theirs. You should be receiving it shortly. I'm sure you have many questions. But it goes without saying we are welcoming these students with open minds, hearts and arms. Thank you. That is all.” Weatherbee voice came over the intercom.
I watch the halls for people’s reactions some were overjoyed for some new faces, others were outraged that the school was going to be overcrowd by criminals, and some didn’t seem to care at all.
I turn back to my friends who both seem indifferent about it. “Maybe we can get more talent for basketball. Oh god, I hope I make the team now.” Trev began to worry about the unknown talent that was coming.
“You’re still going to make the team.” I reassure him.
“How would you know, you don’t know anything about sports? I have a P.E. next. I’m going to practice.” He rushes off to the gym.
Tomoko and I laugh at our friend. Of all the things he could worry about with the schools integrating he chooses that.

I was working a night shift at Pops. Jughead was grumbling to his dad about his suspicious of the school shutting down. I smile when Betty came through the door. “You are one hell of a woman Betty Cooper. If my ex left me crying in a park lot the last thing I would be doing is meeting up with him to make him feel welcome at my school.” I gave her a pat on the shoulder as I walk past her to get to one of my tables. I took their order and went behind the counter to put it on the order wheel.
“Mind giving my kid a break,” I turn around to see F.P. leaning against the counter.
“The kid that makes assumption and won’t apologize for it, instead he wants to make like nothing ever happen. No, I can’t.” I shook my head.
“Come on, was it that big of a leap for Jugs to think that the Ghoulies attack me.” He tilts his head to the side and raises his eyebrows to emphasize his point that the grudge was silly.
“No, but it was a big leap for him to imply that I’m the type to be manipulative by my boyfriend… you know what, no we aren’t doing this.” I shook my head, looking around for a table that need service, but for coarse there wasn’t any at the moment.
“Doing what?” He tries to look confused but he knew what he was doing. He had done this stunt a hundred times before.
“That thing where you argue the boy’s side to get me to forgive them which is fucked up, because they’re not sorry. They weren’t sorry all the time they locked me out of the trailer or Archie’s room. They weren’t sorry when they broke my Barbie dream house, because they were wrestling near it. Jughead isn’t sorry now. I’m done forgiving people who aren’t even sorry.” I move to grab Hamlet from my backpack. I sat down on a stool to read while I wait for someone to need me. I would rather try to understand Shakespeare then the Jones.
I was able to read and annotate an act of Hamlet before my shift was almost over. I was refilling the ketchup and mustard bottle before I leave for the night. “Hey, you know what you’re doing?” F.P. sat on a stool across from where I was behind the counter. The restaurant was empty and clean at the moment, so he didn’t have anything to do.
“I have been doing this for about half a year, so if I didn’t know what I was doing by now that would be sad.” I focus on keeping the funnel straight to get the mustard into the bottle.
“I meant with Malachai and the Ghoulies.” He asks. I snap my head up to look him in the eyes. We been working with each other for a few weeks now, he never brought it up. I thought we had some kind of unspoken agreement to not speak of our gangs, but I guess not.
“Are you asking as a concern uncle or as a rival gang leader?” I put my focus back on the condiments.
“Now why would I ask you for gang information? You’re a girlfriend not a member, you don’t know anything.” I smile at his statement, it seem that him and little snakes were discussing me.
“I think so, but does anyone really know what they’re getting into when it comes to relationships.” I shrug. I’m sure when my dad and mom got together they didn’t think they would be getting a divorce.
“I suppose I never did. How did a good sensible girl like you get wrap up with a gang leader? I know it can’t be the cliché answer of excitement and adventure.” He grabs the big ketchup container and a funnel to help me.
“Sorry to disappoint but it was exactly that. I meet him in that booth over there on a dead night like this.” I nod over the booth. He looks over there, like it would have the answers he was looking for. “He spends the whole night talking to me. He drove me home and asks when he could see me again. I meet up with him again, because that night he made me feel a way I never felt before. I was pessimistic about it. I figure it be a summer fling if even that long. I thought he would get bored of me in a week and I wouldn’t be able to handle his lifestyle. But that not what happen, I found love.” I put the caps on all the mustard bottles and put them on the tray.
“Abby, this is me speaking to you as your gang leader uncle the lifestyle gets really ugly. You need to think long and hard if the consequences are worth it. I know the answer is that it’s worth it right now, but if you ever find yourself in too deep know that you can always come to me.” He put the caps on the ketchup bottle and put them on the tray. He lean over the counter and gave me a kiss on the forehead. “You have a good night and drive safe.” He picks up the tray and began putting a bottle of each on every table.
“Goodnight Uncle.” I call to him as I walk out of the diner.

I was in the House of Dead standing in front of a pack of Ghoulies with Verne and Maverick. “We are being divided into three schools: one in Riverdale and two in Greendale. No matter what school you go to you have to lay low.” Verne announce to the group.
“That means no jacket or showing any tattoos. No dealing for the time being either.” Maverick yelled to the crowd causing them to boo.
“The people at these schools are already upset that the ghetto is landing on their doorstep. They’re going to be looking for any reason to kick you out. You can’t get away with anything while you’re being watched, so let them feel safe.” I explain to them after Verne got them to quiet down.
“This is only temporary, you guys. You know Malachai got big plans, you don’t want to be the one to fuck up those plans.” Maverick seem to have said the magic words because everyone began taking off their jackets.
“Get to your school and remember lay low and keep your ear to the ground this could be an opportunity for expansion.” Verne said. The crowd went their separate ways.
“If you’re going to Riverdale High and you need a ride you can jump in the back of Malachai’s truck or Maverick’s Monza.” I call out to them.
I walk out to the parking lot and got into the truck to wait. Greg opens the passenger door. “Is this seat taken?”
“Nope, come in.” I smile at him. After six Ghoulies jump into the back of the truck we took off to Riverdale High with the green Monza following behind us.
“Are there any beautiful girls at this school?” He wiggled his eyebrows.
“Oh yeah, it something in the Northside’s water makes them all pretty, horny too.” I tease, rolling my eyes.
“It’s not nice to tease a man.” He put his hand over his heart like he was wounded.
“So I have been told.” I giggle pulling into the high school parking lot. I park the truck and we watch as Verne’s car and a few others make their way to Greendale.
“I don’t like the way we keep getting divided.” Greg frowns at the Ghoulie members driving past us.
“Me neither.” I got of the truck and the rest were quick to follow. I walk into the front office of Riverdale High with a group Ghoulies behind me. “Can I get the schedules and locker numbers for these students?” I put a list I made of their names in front of the office worker.
“Veronica Lodge is in charge of the welcome committee.” She said, not looking up from the cross word puzzle she was doing.
“No offense to her, but we don’t want to deal with the drama that going to come with that committee.” I push the list on top of the puzzle.
“Too bad,” She throws the list on the floor.
“I’m sorry, what is your job title, because I don’t think its crossword puzzle solver you lazy bi...” I was in the middle of saying when Maverick pulls me out of the office. The Ghoulies follow us out.
“You are a part of us, so you have to lay low too.” He hisses in my ear.
“You’re right.” I took a deep breath to calm down and went to find the welcome committee. We found a bunch of serpents watching Cheryl and Veronica having a face off.
“No one invited fascist Barbie to the party.” She rolls her eyes at Cheryl who had the vixens and bulldogs standing behind her.
“Wrong, Veronica, no one invited Southside scum to our school.” She glares at the girl for welcoming the Southside student.
“I’m sorry, when did this turn into Hogwarts? It a damn public school, you go based on your district.” I snorted, letting everyone know that we were there. Serpents look confused as to why the Ghoulies didn’t have on their jackets.
“Good you brought your hooligans too, I only want to say this once.” She gave me an evil smirk, completely ignoring my statement. She turns her stare to the crowd of Southsiders. “Listen up, Ragamuffins. I will not allow Riverdale High's above average GPA to suffer because the classrooms are overcrowded with underachievers. So please, do us all a favor and find some other school to debase with your hardscrabble ways.” I roll my eyes. Scum, hooligan, ragamuffins, what century was this chick living in with her name calling?
“Why don't you come over here and say that to my face?” Toni move to get closer with Jughead, Fangs, and Sweet Pea following.
“Happily, queen of the buskers,” Cheryl took one step forward.
To avoid there being a riot that I knew the Ghoulie would become a part of, I move in between them. I invade Cheryl personal space to lean in so when I whisper only she would hear me. “People who live in a whore house that was bought with drug money shouldn’t throw stones. Now unless you want everyone to know about your whore of a mother, you will back off.” She gritted her teeth and took a step back, letting me know she wasn’t going to say anything else. One of the bonuses of working at the hang out spot in town was that I got all the scoop of what was happening around town.
“Can we put our Northside Southside differences aside and start over? Begin with a new slate?” I scoffed. Of course when I stop one bomb from exploding, Archie would set off another.
“You don't speak for the bulldogs, Andrews. And need I remind you, these greaser-snakes showed up at your place trying to kick your ass.” Reggie step in front of Cheryl to put his hand on Archie’s shoulder.
“Happy to finish what was started.” Sweet Pea pushes his way past Toni to get at him. Reggie was eager to meet him half way.
“God, I am so over the toxic masculinity in this hallway right now.” Veronica scolds all of them.
“All right, that's enough pomp and circumstance. Everyone, let's get to class.” Principal Weatherbee step out of a hallway to tell the crowd. The gang members scattered at the sight of authority. I roll my eyes and move to the table to grab their class schedules, locker information, and welcome packets that Veronica made. I swipe some late passes too.
I send out a mass text to tell them to meet me in a classroom I knew was going to be empty. I meet them there to pass out the papers. I gave them a tour of the school before dropping them all off to their first class with a late slip.
With the serpents under fire all day, the Ghoulies were going under the radar. I was in my last class that I share now with Maverick.
“I want it to be known that any gang paraphernalia such as jackets or tattoos will be grounds for immediate suspension.” Weather voice came over the intercom.
“I bet you 20 dollars that Jughead will show up in a serpent jacket tomorrow.” I turn to Maverick.
“No way, no one is that much of an idiot.” He shook his head.
“You don’t know Jughead, he loves being a martyr.” I copy down the equations off the board, knowing I was about to be 20 dollar richer this time tomorrow.

I let out a giggle as I stare at Sweet Pea wearing a turtleneck as I wait for him to finish getting his stuff out of his locker that happen to be above mine. “You see something funny?” He turns around to glare at me.
“Yeah you, what the hell are you wearing?” I giggle pushing him to the side to get to my locker. I was surprised that he let me. Let's be honest there was no way I could do that even with all my strength if he didn’t allow me to.
“Weatherbee donated school uniforms for those of us who can’t afford proper clothes.” He sneers. As he said that, a group of girls walked past us wearing very low cut tops and their ass cheeks hanging out of their shorts. All of them were making eyes at him until they turn the corner. I let out a snort at the hypocrisy of it all.
“It seems like not only do the popular kids want you to drop out, but so does the principle.” I laugh. He reaches above me to close his locker. I thought he would walk away, but instead he leans against the locker beside ours.
“Did you know that they were going to do that? Is that why none of the Ghoulies had their jackets on?” He asks.
“If you’re asking if I team up with them, no. But I did know it was going to happen, thought you would have too.” I put my biology textbook into my backpack.
“How would I have known?” His eyebrows touch each other in confusion.
“From what I heard about you, you have a lot of hate for the Northside. Did you think everyone was going to welcome you with open arms because they had too? I will admit I’m happy you guys did, make it easier for us.” I close my locker. “Where’s your boyfriend?” I look around for his other half.
“What?” He shriek seeming appalled by my question.
“You know the handsome guy that always with you.” I point to his empty side like that would help him know who I was talking about.
“Fangs isn’t my boyfriend.” He shook his head in disbelief.
“Sorry, I thought he was because the way you guys act together and look at each other.” I put my hands in the air to show I meant no offense.
“I’m straight!” He yells poking himself in the chest.
“Dude, learn how to talk to woman.” Maverick came up from behind and pull me away from him. “What the hell was that?” He wraps an arm around my shoulder.
“I was asking where Fangs was.” I shrug, not seeing what the big deal was. That could not have been the first time they got ask that.
“He got suspended this morning because he didn’t want to wear the uniform.” He told me.
“Why do they have to wear? It’s not like all their clothes have serpents on them.” I roll my eyes. It put me on edge about what could happen to the Ghoulies with the way they were targeting one group of people.
“I think the principle is on a power trip. I’m just happy we didn’t wear our jackets or I would be wearing that ugly thing.” He looks in disgust at a group of serpents wearing the uniform.
That reminded me about our bet about Jughead. “Where’s my 20 dollars?” I stood in front of him, holding my hand out.
“I was hoping you forgot.” He pulls out his wallet and hand me the money.
“Forget when I’m right, never.” I put the money into my own wallet.

I was walking around in my bra and panties getting ready for bed when I glance out the window. I let out a scream as I drop to the ground. I put my hand over my speeding heart as I took deep breath to calm myself down. My room was across for Polly’s, since she left I been leaving my drapes and window open.
I saw a man standing in her room, not Mr. Cooper but a stranger. A thin lanky blonde who had a well defined jaw and high cheekbones. That wasn’t what made me scream, it was the fact that he was staring at me with those cold hazel eyes. The way that he was staring at me I didn’t know if he wanted to ravage sexual or violently.
It was until my heart came back to its normal speed that I realize that Archie was pounding on my door and yelling my name. I pull on a fuzzy robe and open my door to see my concern brother, father, and dog. “What wrong?” Dad asks.
Archie push past me to look around my room for an intruder. Vegas jump onto my bed. “I thought I saw someone standing in Polly’s room.” I wrap my rope tightly around me. I look out the window to see an empty room.
“It was probably Betty.” Archie let out a sigh.
“It definitely wasn’t Betty. It was a man.” I shook my head.
“Then it was Hal.” Dad came over and gave my shoulders a squeeze.
I look between Polly’s empty room and my family’s worried faces. “Yeah it was probably him.” I lied. The stress of this week must have been messing with me.
They both gave me a goodnight kiss on the forehead before leaving the room. When my door closed, I close my window and drapes. I laid down on my bed and cuddle with Vegas, hoping that next week would be less stressful then this week.