Take Me to the Races

There Will Be Blood

We were having a dinner at the Lodge’s. I smile as the adult reminisce on high school memories. “If I’m remembering correctly, the only house in Riverdale with a pool was Thornhill.” Mr. Lodge points at his wife, who nods in agreement with him.
“There we were, two drunk dumb teenagers looking to cool off.” Dad explains why they trespassed on the Blossom’s property.
“Why didn't you just go to the quarry or Sweetwater River?” Archie laugh at dad lame excuse. There was no way he would let either of us get away with that excuse.
“Oh, what I remember is someone borrowing the school van for a joy ride, you and Mary.” Dad waves his hand over at Mrs. Lodge.
“No, that was Alice, not us.” She shook her head, correcting him.
“Oh, my God, this sounds like an episode of Saved by the Bell.” Veronica laughs.
Husband and wife share a look before he turns to dad. “Hey, Fred before you head off, why don't you join Hermione and me in the study? I have this 30-year-old rum. I think you'll love it.”
“I can't say no to that.” He wipes his mouth as they stood up.
“Veronica, stay with Archie?” Her mom told her. Veronica nod then smile over at Archie as her parent got up to take my dad to the study. Archie was watching dad leave the room with a concern look. It seems that he had the same feeling as me. I suppose it was a hypocrisy that most people fell into. It’s acceptable for us to get involved in something dangerous, but unacceptable for someone those we love to get involved in the same dangerous activity.
“Do you mind if Archie and I go to my room?” Veronica, being the perfect host turns to ask me.
“It’s fine.” I smile. They got up and left the room. I play merge dragons on my phone until dad came out of the study.
Mr. and Mrs. Lodge walk us to the door. Mr. Lodge gave each of us a handshake while Mrs. Lodge and Veronica gave a hug and a kiss on the cheek. When Mr. Lodge shook my hand, I slip Penny’s business card to him. He put it on his pocket without any questions or raising suspicion. When Mrs. Lodge kisses my cheek I whisper the card was someone who wanted in.
Archie, dad, and I left the building and climb into our pickup truck. Before dad could put the keys in, Archie was asking what happen in the study. While dad turns the car on and made his way home, he explains to us that Mr. Lodge asks him to run for mayor. I lean back into my chair after hearing the news. Malachai told me that Mr. Lodge wanted to involve my whole family. His way of doing that was to make my dad mayor, so that they can use and abuse him like they did Josie’s mom. It wasn’t going to work. My dad wouldn’t let anyone push him around like Mrs. McCoy did. If they were able to get him in, they would have to push him back out. That wouldn’t go as smoothly as it did with Mrs. McCoy either. I knew in that moment, I would have to make the hard choice of either Malachai or my family.
“Dad, is this something you're seriously considering?” Archie broke the silent of everyone processing the news.
Dad let out a big sigh, “Being mayor is something I dreamed about ever since I was a little kid in the back of my mind. And I know Riverdale's had a lot of downs lately but maybe, I can help get it back up.”
“And you don't think it's weird that Mr. Lodge is asking you to run?” Archie was trying to push him away without telling him straight up that Hiram was a dirty business man.
“He's not dumb, son. He spends a lot of money in Riverdale. It makes sense he wants a friend in the mayor's office.” Dad justifies the Lodges interest in him. I bite my lip to stop from snorting at the word friend. I don’t think people have an affair with their friend’s wives.
“Will he pay for your campaign?” Archie ask. It seems like an innocent question but it wasn’t. It was about knowing how much the Lodges would be involved in this.
“He offered to make a donation to help me get going. But, to be clear Archie if I decide to run it won't be for him. It'll be for Riverdale, for me, for you, and you.” He looks at me in the rearview mirror. The determination in his eye told me he was going to do this. Dad was a good man if he felt like he could make a different for the better he would do it.

I sitting on the dinner table with Dad as he went through an old box he got in the garage. It was full of his hopes and dreams. As I look through it I realize how much he didn’t accomplish. I always thought he wanted to run a small company that helps his town. I never picture him wanting a big business that would give the town a makeover. I could see why he thinks running for Mayor might be his second chance. Mr. Lodge must have known that too, they were friends back in the day. The man was playing a game of chess were only he could fully see the board.
“Hey, Arch, check this out!” Dad call Archie when he heard his son in the kitchen. He came out with a glass of water. “When I applied to college to be an urban planner, this is before Grandpa got sick, this was a presentation that I made for some program I never got into. Riverdale 2020 small town with a big future, sounds corny, huh?” He unfolds the long poster that he show me earlier of what he had envision for the town.
“No, Dad, this is awesome.” He smiles, happy to see dad excited about something.
Someone knock on the door. I got up to answer it when I heard it opening. “Hello? Archie! Mr. Andrews?” Veronica came walking through the door. This was the first time I didn’t see Archie look happy to see his girlfriend. “Oh, goody, you're all here. So I fully realize I'm putting the cart before the horse, but I was spit balling some design ideas, and I think I may have come up with a few potential campaign logos.” She opens a portfolio and shows us the flyers. They look professional, seeing them made the situation seem more real.
Dad smile at her, happy to see he was getting support. “Veronica, those are terrific, I got to say, but…. Oh... now that one, that's my favorite.” He point at one of the button designs.
“Mine too.” She smiles sweetly. It made me wonder how much Veronica knew of her dad plans. If she knew it was going to be a prison that was a front for a drugs empire, then she deserves to win an Oscar. “Great. So I'll have some buttons and T-shirts printed ASAP.” She picks up her portfolio and held it tightly to her chest. She smiles at everyone in the room.
Behind dad’s back Archie meet his girlfriend’s eye and jerk his head, signaling for her to go upstairs. She rolls her eyes before doing as he asks.
I wish he wait a minute longer, because dad spoke after he left. “I’m going to do it.”
“That’s great, dad.” I put on a fake smile.
“Everyone talk about how things have to change, but no one stepping up. I’m going to do it. I’ll clean the street of the drugs and gangs.” Dad puffs his chest out.
“Save it for the speech.” I joke, because listening to him was making me squeamish.
“Pen and paper. Pen and paper.” He looks all over the table for the two. When he couldn’t find it, he left the room.
Watching my dad made me ponder. What if grandpa never got sick and dad was able to go to this program, would our lives be different? Would he have become mayor instead of Mrs. McCoy and put an end to all of this before it started? There is no point in pondering about the what ifs, faith is inevitable. Dad was never meant to be mayor, the timing wasn’t right then and isn’t right now.
I was beginning to believe that my faith was Malachai. I never wanted to be one of those girls that wrap everything up in a boyfriend. But, Malachai and the Ghoulies fill a hole in my heart. They gave me an identity that was my own. He made me want more for myself then to take over a family company that would only be given to me as a last option.
For once I didn’t want to be like my dad. I didn’t want a box of long lost dreams. I wanted to live out my dreams, while I still could.

I walk down stairs to see Josie and Mrs. McCoy going out the door. “Thank you for this.” Archie smile at them as they left.
“What they do?” I walk behind Archie after he close the door.
He jumps a little from me sneaking up on him. “Mrs. McCoy was telling dad about the bad side of being the mayor.” He shrugs.
“Why would you want to discourage him?” I ask, seeing if he would tell me the truth. It was funny that we were on the same team but he didn’t know. I couldn’t tell him my part, because he didn’t know about the drugs yet.
“I just want him to know what he getting into.” He shrugs again.
“It’s important to know the pro and cons.” I nod, moving past him to leave the house. I was opening the red trucks door when I heard my name being called. I turn around to see Chic.
“Hey, I wanted to say sorry. I know I’ve been scaring you with the staring into your room and the comments at the theater. It was a bad joke. I would like to be friends.” He appeared sincere. I wanted to believe him, so I could have one less problem in my life.
“You’re going to work?” I glance at his uniform shirt.
“Yeah, I better get to the bus stop.” He nods.
“I’m visiting my boyfriend. I can give you a ride, it’s on the way.” I got into the driver seat.
He got into the passenger seat. “Where does your boyfriend live?” He asks as I drove down the street.
“Right now he’s at Shankshaw.” I said like it was nothing.
“Prison? What did he do?” He raises an eyebrow.
“Street racing. How do you like living with your mom?” I change the subject.
“It nice right now, but it won’t be that way for long.” He shrugs.
“Why?” I side eye him. He had a blank look on his face.
“Right now, mom feels guilty about leaving me. She’s trying to make it up to me by being extra nice to me. I can tell she’s not being herself.” He looks out the window, not wanting me to see the emotions on his face.
“I’m not friends with Betty or Polly, so from a very outside perspective, she seems high strung and controlling, but she has the best intentions.” I reassure him that even when Alice starts to act more like herself, she still a good mom.
“Betty and Polly,” He sneers.
“They’re giving you a hard time?” I ask. From what Archie told me, Betty was the one who found him. Why would she have a problem with him now?
“Betty was nice at first, but now she treating me like I’m a stranger. But, at least she’s trying to get to know me. Polly isn’t even trying. Now, that Polly back with her babies mom is treating me differently too. She normally gives me a ride to work.” His kept his head turn to the window.
“That the thing about having sibling. You have to share your parents.” I turn into the theater parking lot and pull up to the front of the building.
“They had her they’re whole life! I just got her, I shouldn't have to share!” He slams his fists down on the dashboard. His face and tone was fills with bitterness and rage. It took a couple deep breathes for him to calm now. “Thank you for the ride.” He tone was monotone as he got out of the car.
Before he could close the door I yell, “Hey!” He stuck his head back in the car. “It’s alright to be jealous of Betty and Polly. I would be if I found out my mom had a family in Chicago.” I told him.
“Thank you, I needed to hear that. Can I get your number you’re great to talk too?” He asks. I told him my number. After he punches it into his phone, he thanks me one more time and closes the door.
I made my way to Malachai. I got out of the car to see my man sitting on the bench swing. He came over as soon as he saw the truck. It would have been sweet, if it was for me. He circles around the truck looking for any dents.
“Don’t worry, I’m fine.” I got out of the car.
He came around to give me a kiss then push me out of the way to pop the hood. After seeing that everything was okay, he shut it. “I can’t wait to get out of the fucking forest.” He grumbles, suffering from cabin fever.
“It’s better than prison.” I wrap my arms around his neck and gave him a kiss.
“It’s starting to feel like a luxury prison.” He mutters against my lips.
“At least here, you can touch me.” I nibble on his bottom lips.
“Yes, I can.” He reaches down to give my ass a squeeze.
“EW, it's like watching my mom and dad kisses.” Maverick pretends to vomit over the railing.
“When did you ever see your parent loving each other?” Sassy scoffs next to him.
“Next time we’re leaving you in prison.” He tries to glare at her, but he couldn’t keep a straight face. He ends up laughing at her pouting at him. “I’m kidding.” He leans in to give her a peck.
“Hey, if I can’t make out with my girlfriend, neither can you.” Malachai walk up the porch and yank him off of her. I follow him into the house with a pouting Maverick and a laughing Sassy behind me. We sat down in the living room.
“Lodge wants my dad to be mayor.” I told them.
“How do you think that going to go?” Sassy ask.
“It’s not. My dad got a high moral compass and stubborn streak. There’s no way he’ll be Lodge’s puppet if he get voted into office.” I whine, burying my face into Malachai’s chest.
“It looks like you have a choice to make.” He ran his fingers through my hair. I whimper as I push myself so I was lying on top of him.

I was about to take a shower when I heard my phone ding, I look down to see a text from Chic asking if I wanted to come with him to take a walk with the twins. I replied quickly that I would when I remember his bitter tone and facial expression about them. While I found Chic to being unsettling, he seems to like me for some reason. I figure the babies would be safe if I went along. I hurry outside to see Chic standing in front of my house with an old fashion stroller.
“Hello Chic.” I greet him before look down into the stroller. “They’re so cute, can I hold one?” I ask.
“Sure.” He shrugs. I pick up the baby boy as we began walking.
“How is it going in the Cooper house?” I ask.
“They won’t stop talking about Blossom’s will. Apparently if you even have a drop of Blossom blood then you can get a share of his money. Polly and Betty want me to do it, but I’m not ready to face needles yet.” He leads us in the direction of Sweetwater River.
I nod my head. I remember FP saying that he use to do drugs. “I honestly don’t think it’s going to be that much. They have a Blossom Tree Tapping Ceremony every year. The town always full of redheads. They have a lot of relatives.” I didn’t see the big deal. No money was worth him going back to drug if needle was going to trigger him like that.
The rest of the walk we talk about random things, until we found out we’re both fans of American Horror Story. “You’re crazy. The Coven is the best season.” Chic shook his head at me.
“I love the Hotel season. I watch it so many times. Evan Peter is so delicious in that suit and with that accent.” I gush.
“Okay, now we are getting to the real reason.” He laughs as we walk into the Cooper house.
Polly ran up to us. “What did you do to my babies?” She looks down into the stroller.
“Nothing Polly, they’re fine.” He scoffs at her and reach down to play with the twins making them laugh. Polly and Betty share a look of horror that made me roll my eyes.

We were sitting in the Lodge’s home again, having a meeting about Dad being the mayor. Apparently Jughead found out about the prison being built and now Mr. Lodge was trying to get in front of it, so that it didn’t look like he was hiding it. He figure the best way to do that would be for my dad to make it part of his running campaign.
“You're serious? Southside High is going to be turned into...” Dad looks at Hiram like he was hoping he was being prank.
“A private for-profit prison,” He word it pretty, something I was finding that he was a master of.
“Built on the bones of a high school, what the hell have we been building in SoDale?” He turns to Hermione who was working with him on the construction plans.
“What we've said all along, housing,” She told him.
“For all the people who will work at the prison,” He explains.
“And you expect me to support this as mayor?” Dad realizes the real reason that they were backing him.
“We're hoping you'd be open to it. Yes.” Hiram nod his head.
“I can't do it. I'm out of here.” Dad shook his head as he stood up from his chair.
“Look, Fred.” She tries to stop him from leaving.
“We've been in business for how long? And you didn't tell me. And the only reason you're telling me now is because it's getting ready to become public.” Dad snaps at them.
“I'll admit it's not ideal,” Hiram kept his cool.
“Not ideal Hiram? You want to turn the town that I love, my home, my children's home, into a prison.” Dad got and starts to walk out.
“Fred, please let me tell you why and how this is the right move, for us, for Riverdale.” He stood up to try to convince my dad.
“You can save that for whomever it is that you find to run for mayor, because we are leaving and we are leaving now. Come on, Archie, Abby.” He looks over at us.
“Dad, I'm going to stay.” He looks down at his plate.
“Excuse me?” He looks shocked at his son.
“I want to stay. I want to hear what Mr. Lodge has to say.” He looks up at dad.
I look over at Hermione to see what she wanted me to do. When she looks at the tea pot in the middle of the table I knew. “Me too, dad,” I drank my tea. Archie throw me a look of irritation, probably thinking now he couldn’t ask the questions he wants to ask.
“I will see you two at home then.” He walks out the door.
Mr. Lodge sat down and explains to Archie how the prison was going to benefit the community. I had to admit if I didn’t know the whole truth I would believe him.
Archie and Veronica went in the other room. “I call Penny and had a meeting with her.” Mr. Lodge told me.
“How did it go?” I ask.
“Very well, she’s going to be our troubleshooter. She knows the law and the serpents. For now, she’s going to be working mainly with the Ghoulies, seeing as they’ll need her most.” He explains to me.
“I’m surprised she was cooperative, she seem demanding to me.” I pour myself some more tea.
“She wasn’t at first, but we got her to understand she’s out of her league. We aren’t some small town gang.” Mrs. Lodge chuckles at the memories of the woman.
“Keep an eye on her. She may be on our side, but I still don’t trust her.” Mr. Lodge told me. I nod that I would. I was going to even if he didn’t want me to, something about the woman seem grimy. She obviously went where ever the wind blows.

I was at the cabin in the forest sitting with the Ghoulie around the radio as we listen to the announcement of a new person running for mayor.
“Ladies and gentlemen, I give you your next mayor of Riverdale, my mother Hermione Lodge.” Veronica voice came through the speakers.
After the clapping and cheering, Hermione started her speech. “Thank you Veronica and thank you all very much. Like many of you, I grew up in this town dreaming of a better tomorrow for myself, for my family and for my friends. Riverdale is one of the most dynamic, resilient communities. Riverdale cannot succeed unless all of us succeed and that will require certain sacrifices. We will also need your support. We will need your trust. We will need your loyalty. This town has endured so much these past few years. After so much adversity, aren't we all ready for a taste of prosperity?”
The Ghoulies cheer, feeling like she was speaking directly to us. “Anyone eligible to vote will.” Malachai announce, making them cheer some more. I wonder how many people that would be considering most of them who were of age are ex-offenders.
“Come on.” He took my hand and pulls me up. I walk with him to his master bedroom. “Have you thought about what we talk about?” He asks.
“Yeah, I’m going to need more than a draw.” I look at my feet.
He grabs my chin and left it up, so we were looking into each other’s eyes. “Are you sure?”
“Yes, watching my dad try to live out his dreams this past week was depressing. I don’t want that to be me. I want to live out my dreams while I’m young that includes being with you.” I lean in to give him a kiss.
He lifted me up by the back of my thighs and lay us down on the bed. “You’re not going to regret this.” He pushes back my hair that fell in my face.
“Promises. Promises.” I tease. I giggle as he started to nip at my neck.