Take Me to the Races

A Kiss Before Dying

I lay my head on the chest of my semi-secret boyfriend of a little over six months. We were the best kept secret on the Northside and the worst kept one on the Southside. The only people who knew about us on the Northside were my friends: Trev Brown and Tomoko Yoshida. It was because of them that I was able to spend almost every weekend with him. I would say that I was staying at one of their houses and no one ever asks any questions. Sometimes, it bothers me how easy it was to keep this relationship a secret. It was as if I was invisible. At school, I was forever stuck in Archie’s shadow. At home, my dad was too busy trying to keep the business afloat and worried about Archie who couldn’t seem to stay out of trouble. But, as soon as I was with Malachai I couldn’t be happier that everything was going smoothly for us.
On the Southside everyone saw me with Malachai, but he made sure that my real name stayed a mystery. Not that I like my aliases, in public the ghoulies would call me Malachai’s girl. While the man himself would call me every pet name he could think of, some so vulgar that he earn himself a punch. I jolted when I felt his fingers ran through my hair.
“Good morning, sugar tits.” He gave my hair a gentle tug. I gave his nipple a hard pinch, before jumping out of the bed. He was quick and able to give me a sharp smack on the ass before I made it out of his reach. I open my draw on his dresser to put on a pair of panties and a bra. I grab a white shirt with a low neckline.
“Clothes are overrated.” He snatches it out of my hands and held it over my head.
“Is that why you never feel the need to button up your shirt?” I trail my hands from his chest to his torso.
“Now you’re getting it.” He thrust his hips as I got to his pelvic bone. I giggle at his semi hard on as I pull my hand back.
“I got to go to meet my dad at Pop’s. He got something important to share.” I made my way to the door like I was ready to go out in my underwear.
“Put on a pair of jeans and a jacket while you’re at it. And don’t ever laugh at my dick again.” He throws my shirt at me. I catch it and pull it over my head. I went back to my draw and put on a pair of ripped jeans.
“How about this jacket,” I pull his ghoulies jacket off of one of the bed posts and put it on.
“And have your dad keep you lock away from me, I don’t think so.” He pulls on the jacket’s collar to bring me closer to him. He pushes his lips against mine. He took the jacket off of me and throws it on the bed without breaking contact. I did, when he put his hand underneath my shirt.
“I really have to go.” I move away from him to put on a black zip up hoodie.
“Am I dropping you off at friend’s house?” He put on a pair of boxers, black jeans, and his Ghoulies jacket.
“Down the street from Pops will be fine, it still early in the morning.” I watch as he picks the car keys off the top of the dresser.
“Good, wasn’t going to drop you off at no Troy’s again.” He throws his arm around me to guide me out of the house of the dead.
“It’s Trev and he’s been my friend since childhood. It wasn’t just him there, Tomoko were there too.” I remember the one time he drop me off at Trev’s. When he found out it was a male’s house, he got out of the car ready to do some damage. I throw myself on his back in an attempt to stop him, but I end up getting a piggyback ride. He only calmed down when Tomoko open the door with Trev bragging about Betty Cooper wanting to go out on a date with him in the back.
“You better never be alone with him.” He opens the passenger side door. I roll my eyes at his jealousy as I got into the car. He got into the driver's seat and we were on our way to Pops. “What does he have to tell you, anyways?” He spat at some Serpents we drove past.
“I’m not certain, but I’m pretty sure it about the divorce being finalized.” I look out the window, watching as we cross to the Northside. It never fail to amaze me how one turn could put you into a different social class.
“That’s good. Maybe he’ll get some child support now.” He said, causing me to snort.
“I doubt it, it go like it always does. She says, do you need any financially help, Fred. He says, Mary don’t be silly we’re fine, keep your money you need it. She smiles and says well if you’re sure.” I made voices for the two of them, making my mom whiney and my dad dopey. “If she really wanted to help support us, she wouldn’t give him a choice. She didn’t with anything else, not the divorce, or her moving, or her random visits.” I rant. What got me so frustrated about the situation was I couldn’t understand either of them. I didn’t know how my mom could with good conscious leave my dad with the all the emotionally and financially burden of raising Archie and I by himself. I couldn’t understand why my dad happily let her take advantage of him.
“Let’s hope you get surprised.” He pulls off to the side of the road. I gave him a kiss goodbye before getting out and walking the rest of the way to Pops.
“Morning Boss Man,” I wave to Pops, who chuckles while waving back at me. I slid into the only booth being occupied. “Morning Dad, Archie.” I smile at them.
“Morning Sissy,” My brother laughs at my scrunched up face. I didn’t like him calling me that at five and I didn’t like it now. I playfully held up a fork, making like I was threatening him.
“Alright children, no bloodshed over breakfast,” My dad chuckles from beside me.
“This is normally, were I let customers look through the menu and order. But, you all have been here so much that you memorize it. So what will you all like?” Pop smile over at us.
“I’ll have pancakes, bacon, and eggs.” Dad told him.
“I’ll get the same.” Archie smiles
“Eggs Benedict, please.” I bat my eyelashes at him.
“Of course my lovely lady,” He laughs, bowing dramatically before taking his leave to make the food in the back.
The rest of breakfast went along like that talking, playing around, and laughing. Halfway through eating our food, Archie got up announcing he had to go to the bathroom. Right as the bathroom door shut, my dad grabs my hand. “I’m going to need you to stay calm and do what the man asks? I’m sure he just looking to rob the place.”
“What are you talking about?” My question was answered when a man with a black hood over his head that been made into a mask with two cuts for the eyes came barging through the door.
He jumps onto the counter and point a gun right at Pops. “Open the register and gave me everything you got.” He screams in a deep voice. It sounds weird like he was making his voice deep instead of it being natural deep. He kept yelling and shooting up at the ceiling when he gun wasn’t pointed at Pop. My heart aches as I watch Pop shake while he was trying to open the register.
Archie came out of the bathroom, taking the robbers attention away from Pop. Dad shook his head at him, warning him out to be a hero. I shallow the scream I had in my throat for him to get back in the bathroom. The robber turn his gun on Archie for a few seconds that felt like hours before turning to point it at my dad.
“I don’t want any problems here, you can have my wallet.” My dad moves his arms to get it out of his jacket pocket. His hand didn’t even touch his jacket before the gun went off again. I scream as my dad fell on top of me, making both of us land hard on the ground. I quickly pull myself free and yank my jacket off to put it on his stomach where he was shot.
I look up to see the shooter pointing the gun at my brother, who eyes were tightly shut. When the shooter realized he was frozen in fear, he walks over to us. He kneels down to hold the gun to my head as he roughly took dad’s wallet. I let out a sigh of relief when he ran out of the restaurant. I watch him as he ran out of view. Shortly after an engine roar and tires screech, I wish I could run to the window to see what car he was driving. But, I didn’t want to let go of my dad. Archie drop himself next to me, putting dad’s head on his lap.
“I called an ambulance.” Pop hang up the phone. We wait there in our position for a few minutes. With each minute my father was losing more blood.
“I can’t wait for the ambulance. Come on, Abby.” Archie pick up dad and carry him to the truck. He put Dad in the passenger seat.
I put the jacket back on his wound. “Put as much pressure on it as you can to stop the bleeding. Can you do that for me, Daddy?” I ask through tears. He barely gave me a nod as he did what I ask. I shut the door and jump in the back of the truck when I heard Archie start the car up. I held on tightly as Archie speed through the streets. He went over curbs, through red lights and even took out a car’s side mirror.
I did something I hadn’t done in a long time, I prayed. I prayed that Archie would get us there, my dad would make it, and that whoever did this would be caught. I was in a middle of a Hail Mary when the car came to a sudden stop causing me fell backwards. My head slam against the back window of the car. I ignore the pain as I climb out the bed of the truck. I help Archie carry dad into the hospital.
“Help me! Help us! Help my dad!” Archie yells out.
A group of nurses and a doctor ran over to us. “What happen to him?” The doctor asks, moving to take dad out of our arms.
“He was shot.” My brother informs him. They put him onto a stretcher and wheel him off. We follow him, until the doctor stops us from going into the operating room. We stare into the room as they start working on him.
“We right here, dad. We are right here, dad. We are right here.” Archie kept repeating. I hug him tightly and bury my face into his chest, not being able to watch them open up my dad. He held me just as tightly as he continues to watch them work on our dad.
“Come sit in the waiting room, you two don’t need to be watching this.” A receptionist pulls us to the waiting room by our arms. “Do you have anyone you need to call?” She asks, once we sat down. Both of our mind start racing about the people that would want to be here for him.
“I can’t bear to call all those people.” Archie shook his head. I copy him when the nurse looks over at me.
“Maybe, you can call one person and they can inform the rest for you.” A piece of advice she probably hand out a thousand times before.
“Betty, I’ll call my friend Betty.” Archie stood up to take his cell phone out of his pocket. She smiles and walk back to her position behind the desk. This would normally be the part where I scoff and tell Archie that Betty wasn’t superwoman. She didn’t deserve to be the stable rock that everyone leans on. Since I didn’t want to make the calls myself, I didn’t say anything. “I’ll have her call Trev and Tomoko.” He pats my leg, before walking down a hall to make the call.
I put my face in my hand as I sob. I didn’t know why, but all the times I was horrible to my dad were running through my head. From throwing a tantrum as a toddler over a toy to last week when we had a big argument over me locking my door when I wasn’t changing. Worst memory that kept replaying was when I yell at him for wanting to kick Jughead out of the house. I told him that he was no longer the stand up hero that I love. Now every time I close my eyes I saw the hurt look on his face, the same look he had on early this morning after he got shot.
I didn’t notice Archie pacing in front of me, until the hospital doors open. Both his best friends and mine with their parents came walking through. Veronica who was follow closely by Jughead and Betty pull my brother into a hug. I stood up as Trev and Tomoko rush towards me to give me a hug. I jerk back as Trev brush his hand over the back of my head. My hand went to the bump as I hiss in pain.
“What’s wrong, Abby?” Archie push Trev out of the way to look me over in concern.
“I hit my head on the riding here. I didn’t hurt much in the moment, but now it does.” I move my hand back to my side for it hurt more when I touch it.
He moves his hand to feel it only to draw it back quickly when I cry in pain. “That a big bump. I’m sorry I didn’t mean to hurt you.”
“It okay, Archie you did what you had to do. If it wasn’t for your driving dad wouldn’t be here.” I smile at him, letting me now that I appreciate him saving dad’s life.
“Can my sister get some ice? She bump her head on the riding here.” Archie call to a nurse. After the nurse came back with an ice pack, we all sat down. I put it against the bump and began tuning everything out as Archie told them what happen at Pops.
“Dude, are you kidding me you save your dad life. First Cheryl and now your dad if keep this up you’ll need a superhero name. Pure heart the powerful.” Jughead’s words pull me out of my self-destructive thoughts. I was about to reassure Archie that he wasn’t at fault, when the parents came over.
“There isn't any new information. Your dad's in surgery. He's going to be there for a while.” Alice Cooper informs us.
“Archie, have you spoken to your mother about any of this yet?” Hermione Lodge bent down to ask my brother.
“I’ll call her.” I offer, knowing it would be more painful for him then me. He was close to my mother, while she was like a stranger to me.
“No, I’ll call. If you call, mom will panic right away or make a comment that would start a fight. I’ll be right back.” Archie walked away to talk to mom.
“She would make a stupid comment.” I turn to my friends.
“This is no time for grudges.” Tomoko roll her eyes. Trev nods in agreement.
Alice sighs as she stares down Jughead.
“What?” Jughead look confused at why he was getting the disappoint look from her for now.
“Mom, do not start this.” Betty shook her head.
“Start what?” He looks from between Betty and Alice.
“Well, of course, I can't help but wonder if your Southside associates had anything to do with what happened to Fred.” Alice glares at him as if he was the one who set my father up.
“Alice, relax.” Hal Cooper gives his wife a pointed look before looking over at me.
“Unbelievable. At least you can't accuse my father of being the shooter, considering he's in jail.” He rolls his eyes.
“Oh, my God, I can't handle this.” Veronica put her head on Betty’s shoulder.
“No I can’t handle this. My dad fighting for his life, while you want to have a petty argument,” I stood up and walk away. I ignore the calls of my name and kept walking. I didn’t even know where this hallway leads I just had to get away from all pettiness. Trev and Tomoko appear next to me.
“Let go to the cafeteria.” She grabs my hand. I let her pull me into the elevator and out to get us to the old cafeteria with Trev follow behind us.
“I’ll order, you guys can grab a seat.” He said. We look around at the empty cafe and back at him. “It could get full, you never know.” I smile at him, seeing what he was doing. In situation like this people like to make themselves useful.
“I’ll have a cup of green tea.” I gave him my order.
“I’ll have a coke and fries.” She said. We stand down at a table. I put my face down on the table as the ice pack lay on top of my head. “What are you doing?” She sounds concern.
“My arms are sore.” I groan as tears run down my face from the physical and emotional pain.
I listen as she got out of her chair and move to the seat next to me. “I got you.” She put her hand on the ice pack. I lift my head up as Trev put my tea in front of me.
“Thank you.” I pull on the string to move my tea bag around the water. I stop as I heard my father voice telling me playing with it wasn’t going to make my tea faster. “I’m a horrible daughter.”
“What!” Both of my friends cry out.
“I am. I have been lying to be my dad for months. The terrible part is that if he does make it I know I’m still not going to tell him about Malachai. The worst part is that this is the second time I seen his face in that much pain. The first time was when I told him he was no longer my hero after he said he want to kick Jughead out to protect us. He was willing to do something he would hate himself for in order to protect us and I crush him for it.” I wipe the tears from my eyes.
“Listen to me; you are not a bad daughter. When your mom left, you step up in a way that not many would. You do all the housework and cooking, while still maintaining your grades.” Trev spoke in the sternest voice I ever heard from my laid back childhood friend. “Malachai may be a gang leader, but I am thankful he’s in your life. He brought my best friend back from her almost two year hiatus.” He reaches across the table to give my hand a squeeze.
After my mom left, I felt like it was my job to step up. I never hang out with friends. I went home to cook, clean, do laundry, and even garden. Let me tell you I didn’t have a green thumb, so it was a struggle. When Malachai came along, I realize that I need to learn balance because I deserve to be a teen to, which included friends and boyfriend. Instead of one big laundry basket, I bought three regular sizes baskets. I taught Archie how to do his own laundry and gave him the yard work. I start to make prep meal, so I go out when I wanted to without feeling guilty.
“No one’s perfect, Abby. When your dad makes it because he will make it, you’ll tell him you’re sorry, that you love him, and that he will always be your hero.” She grabs my other hand.
“I need a group hug.” I got up, spreading my arms out. They both wrap their arms around me. Tomoko and I giggle as Trev attempt to pick us both up.
“You’re weak Brown.” She stuck her tongue out at him.
“I’m going to take weight lifting next year and I’ll be able to pick you both up soon.” He flexes his muscles.
“Hello Abby. I know this is a hard time, but I need you to make a statement.” Sheriff Keller spoke making all of us jump. I guess as a police officer, he had to be able to move quietly.
“I understand I’ll do what I have to help catch the man who did this.” I told him after my heart rate went down. “Do I have to go to the station or can we do it here?”
“I can take your statement here. That back table will be fine.” He point to the table in the back corner. We sat down across from each other on the table of his choice. “You can start when where you’re ready.” He said with his pen already on the paper pad he brought out.
“After Archie went into the bathroom, my dad told me to do as the man said. I didn’t know what he was talking about. I guess he saw the man in the window. The guy comes in and jumps on the counter. He held the gun to Pops head and in fake deep voice he told to give all the money in the register.” I explain the beginning of the situation from my point of view.
“A fake deep voice?” He asks.
“It wasn’t smooth. He had to take deep breath between his sentences to like he had to dig deep to make the voice.” I explain. He wrote down what I said word for word. “Is that really important? I figure it was to help him not get caught.” I look at my words on the paper.
“That’s the point he was changing his voice to not to get caught. Maybe he had to change his voice or you would have recognized it.” He wrote his theory down. I gasp as I lean back in my chair I never thought of the possible that I would know the shooter. I figure it was drifter, I never thought it was personal. But, the more I thought about it the more it made sense. “What happened next?”
It took me a few second to remember where I left off, but when I did I pick it up from there. “Archie came out of the bathroom. The shooter jumps off the counter and point the gun at him for a few seconds. Then, he points it at my dad. He told the shooter that he would give him his wallet. But, he shot him before my dad even grab it. Since I was sitting on the outside, we both fell on the floor.”
“This is the important part. Pop couldn’t remember what happened after the shooting. Your brother was foggy on the details.” He told me.
“I took off my jacket to hold it to his wound. When I look up he was holding the gun to my brother’s face. Archie had his eyes close, when he didn’t do anything else the shooter move back to us. He held a gun to my head while he took my dad wallet, then he ran out.” I told him every detail that I could remember.
“Why didn’t Archie say he had his eyes close?” He narrows his eyes in suspicion as to why someone would withhold information from him.
“Mostly like guilt, he already blaming himself. He’s a male with an ego, who felt like it was his job to protect us.” I defend Archie. “Do you think it was personal?” I switch the topic off of my brother and back on track to finding the real criminal.
“I’m not sure. Do you?” He looks up from his notepad and giving me his undivided attention. A part of me was grateful he was willing to listen to a teen’s opinion, while another part of me was worried that he was willing to listen to my theory because he didn’t have any of his own.
“I think so. He was obviously there to hurt someone. He shot my dad when he was going to give him the wallet. He didn’t even take the money from register that was already taken out for him.” I fully explain my theory.
“I’m not going to lie it looks personal, but I hope it’s not.” He let out a sigh as he rubs his face.
“Me too, Sheriff,” I let out my own sigh. If it isn’t personal then we can put it behind us. But, if it was personal then we would have to watch our back for who knows how long.
“Thank you, for being so cooperative.” He stood up, grabbing his pen and notepad.
“No thank you, Sheriff.” I stood up to shake his hand.
I walk back over to my friends. “How did it go?” Trev ask.
“I told him everything I know, so I hope he’s able to catch the guy.” I grab the melted ice pack to put it back on my bump.
“Do you want to stay here or go back?” Tomoko ate her last frie.
“Let go back, I want to see if they have an update on my dad.” We walk back to the waiting room to see everyone there.
“Abby, our pray are with your dad.” Valerie came over as soon as she saw me.
“Along with as many of our nine lives as he needs,” Josie said. Melody took off her cat ears and gave them to me as proof.
“Thank you Valerie, Josie, Melody. I’ll be sure it put this on his head for good luck.” I smile at all of them as I took the cat ears. They graceful move back to their seat to not crowd me as the bulldogs came over.
“The bulldogs are here for you. Whatever you need red riding hood.” Moose smile down at me. I tutor Moose a few times in history. While he was a year ahead of me, I was taking AP classes.
“Thank you, lumberjack,” I smile up at him.
“I’m here especially if you need comfort in any type of way.” Reggie smirks sly at me.
“Doctor came by while you were gone he said that he got the bullet out and stop the internal bleeding, but he not breathing on his own yet.” Betty pushes Reggie out of the way to inform me.
“When can I see him? Is Archie with him?” I ask, looking around for a nurse to take me to them.
“They said when they get him clean up and in a room; they would come out to get both of you. Right now Archie at home, getting a change of clothes. Maybe, you should too. ” She suggests. I look down to see that I had so much blood on me, that you couldn’t tell my shirt was white.
“Oh my god,” Kevin gasps. I look behind me to see Cheryl Blossom flipping her hair back as she turns a corner.
“I wonder what she doing here.” Tomoko said as it look like she was following a stretcher.
“That would be the teen detective job to answer.” I look back at Betty. She gave me a guilty smile before Kevin and her run after Cheryl.
“Archie popularity is exceeding him today.” I look around the room to see it fill with his friends to support him in his time of need.
“They’re here for you too.” Trev put a hand on my shoulder.
“Most of this people can’t name two facts about me. The only reason they have one is because they know I’m Archie’s sister. It’s not a bitter thing, it’s just a fact.” I shook my head, letting them know this wasn’t sibling rivalry raising its ugly head. I was admiring how much my brother touch lives. He is so great of a person that even though he broke up the pussycats, they were here to support him.
In the corner of my eye, I saw Hermione go into a room. “I’ll be back, guys.” I didn’t wait for a response as I got up to follow her. I walk in to see a small church. She was sitting in front praying. “Are you praying for a quick recovery or a speedy death?” I ask.
“Excuse me.” She turns around looking confused and offended.
“I’m my dad walking dairy. He tells me everything from boring business call to skipping lunch so Archie and I can eat at school.” I move down the aisle to sit behind her. She kept a glare on me. “So, I know about you firing the Serpents behind his back and wanting him to sell now that your husband getting out of jail.” I lean in to let her know I wasn’t scared of her. One thing Malachai taught me was to never let your enemy even think they have a chance in beating you.
“What are you accusing me of, little girl? Well, I guess I wouldn’t say little.” She looks me up and down in disgust.
I let out a laugh at her attempt to belittle me. “I’m not accusing you of anything. I’m simply pointing out facts. I don’t want someone here who would benefit from my dad death. If you would kindly leave, that would be great. Let’s be honest, you’re the last face he want to see when he gets up.” Her face drop at my last sentence, I stood up seeing that she got my message.
“I’ll leave. But, I want you to know that I was praying for his recovery. Neither me or my husband had anything to do with what happen to him.” She spoke, making me turn back to her.
“I don’t think either of you did it. I believe that you care for my dad and that you husband doesn't see a poor construction man as a threat. Thank you for respecting my wishes.” I told her, before walking out of the room.
I pull my phone out of my pocket when I felt it buzz. “Hello.” I answer the unknown number. Before dating Malachai I never did answer unknown numbers. But, now I pick them up with an anxiety feeling it was going to be him calling to pick him up from prison.
“Hello Abby, I got a group of suspects for a lineup if you want to come down.” Sheriff Keller’s voice fills my ear.
“Right now,” I ask. On one hand I didn’t want to leave my father alone and on the other hand I want this bastard to rot in a jail cell.
“Yes, I want to get this maniac off the street as soon as possible.” He sneers.
“Couldn’t agree with you more, I’ll be there,” I walk into the waiting room to find a ride. Mr. and Mrs. Yoshida volunteered, seeing that Akira their toddler son was cover in pudding and need to go home to take a bath.
Tomoko sat in the back with Akira and I while her parent sat in the front. “Abs, why are you covered in tomato sauce,” The toddler innocently asks. The rest of his family tenses up at his question.
“I’m a messy eater just like you.” I poke his cheek, making him laugh.
“When your dad sees you, will you have to take a bath too?” He wonders if the treatment he was getting was fair.
“Of course, I can’t get tomato sauce everywhere.” I smile at him. He continues to ask me random questions and I answer them with as much seriousness as I could. I knew that he like his questions to be answered that way.
“Alright, Akira say goodbye to Abby. She got to go.” Mrs. Yoshida said when we pull up to the police station.
“Why do you have to go to the police?” He looks ready to cry for me.
“I have to help them save the world, it a secret though.” I whisper into his ear. He nods his head, push his lips tightly together letting me know he would keep my secret. I got out of the car after hugging Akira and Tomoko. I walk into the station to be guided by an officer into a room with Archie and Sheriff Keller in it.
“Are you both ready?” He asks us. We nod our head. I look through the one way mirror to see men line up wearing similar clothes to the shooter. “Put them on.” He spoke into a microphone. The men put on black hood that were made into mask. “Number one step forward”
A man step up and glare at the mirror. “No.” We both said. The only thing he had in common with the shooter’s eyes was color.
“Step back. Number two step forward.” His words made the men behind the glass move.
“No.” We shook our head in disappoint. It went that way for the rest of the lineup. It was a depressing ride back to the hospital in the back of the police car.
“Don’t give up hope kids we are going to catch this guy.” Sheriff said after he pulls up to the hospital.
“Thank you.” I told him as Archie and I got out of the car.
“He’s not going to catch anyone.” Archie roll his eyes as we watch the patrol car drive away.
I let out a sigh as I stare up at the hospital, I didn’t want to be here. I wanted to be at home with dad and Archie arguing over what costume to put Vegas in this Halloween. I wanted to be at the Yoshida’s household for a sleepover with Tomoko and Trev. I wanted to be cruising with Malachai in the red hot rod. I wanted to be anywhere but here. My thoughts were interrupted by a buzzing in my pocket. I look down at the phone, seeing a ghost emoji on it. “Go in, I gotta take this. It’s a classmate I had a project with. I was supposed to meet them, they probably wondering where I am.”
“Do you want me to tell them?” Archie offers.
“No, I got this.” I smile at him. I wait for him to walk into the hospital before answering my phone.
“Are you okay? I heard there was a shooting at Pops around the time you were having breakfast.” He spoke before I could say hello.
“It was my dad.” I told him.
“What? Tell me everything, if this bastard from the southside I’ll get him.” He growls out. I want to give him the bullet points for now, but with all his questions I ended up giving him a play by play.
“He has your dad wallet.” He shouts when I was done.
“Yeah, but he didn’t take the money from Pops isn’t that weird?” I want to see if he would have the same train of thought as me.
“Who cares about what he didn’t do? He has your dad’s wallet meaning his driver license and your address. What if he comes back to rob your house?” He seriously raises his voice at me for the first time. I gasp, with everything going on I never thought about that. It adds more to the panic that I had that maybe this was personal. “Maybe you should stay with me for a while?”
“You know that’s not possible. Weekend I can swing, but weekdays I can’t sleep over at a friend’s house.” I shook my head. I couldn’t be playing house with him, when I knew that my family was in danger.
“Damn it, Abigail. We aren’t talking about silly rules, we talking about your life.” He snaps at me.
“I can’t leave my family vulnerable!” I pace in front of the building, didn’t he understand that I wanted to take the easy way out and have him protect me, but I couldn’t do that.
“How are you going to protect them?” His question made me stop pacing. I had no way of protecting my family that was made very clear today.
“Teach me how to shoot a gun.” I demand.
“What? Are you crazy?” I had to move the phone away from my ear, because of how loud his scream was that time.
“You or ghoulie can’t be with me all the time. We go to different schools and live in different towns. Even if this is nothing, I need to know how. With the ghoulies getting bigger, you’re going to have more enemies.” I tried to reason with him that this was inevitable.
“I’ll teach you. Tonight, when you get home there will be a gun underneath the zombie gnomes eating the flamingo. If someone breaks into your house, you take the safety off, point, and squeeze the trigger. Bring it next weekend and I’ll teach you.” He told me. I repeat his words over to myself not wanting to forget. I didn’t want to be like one those inexperienced idiots in movies who die, because they forgot the safety switch.
“Thank you babe, I love you and I’ll text you tonight.” I hang up after he said three words back to me.
Trev came running out of the hospital. “Abby, he’s room is ready. I’ll take you to him. The doctor said that talking to him will help.” He shows me where the room was. I stare at the door, not having the courage to go in.
“What wrong?” Trev look at me with his eyebrows trying to meet in the middle, confused as to why I wasn’t rushing in.
“He’s going to have tubes in his nose. He’s going to be lying in bed helpless. I can’t see him like that.” I turn away from the door. I wasn’t ready to see him lifeless, he was my superhero dad who even when dog tired would be full of life.
“Abigail Andrews is going to do what she always does. She’s going to step up like no one can. She going to go in there and give our dad the pep talk of a lifetime.” Archie step out of dad’s room. “I’m going to get a drink of water and you’re going in there. When I get back, dad will probably be up, because he wants you to shut up.” He pats my head, making me slap him in the shoulder.
“I’m going to wake dad up.” I walk to the room, shutting the door behind me. I drop in the chair next to his bed. I tried not to stare at the tubes and wires that were connect to him and focus on this chest moving up and down. “Hey dad, I’m so sorry. I never apologize for saying you weren’t my hero. I should have never said that, because you are. You will always be my hero, dad.” I grab his hand. I let out a sigh as I foolishly thought he would grab it back.
“I know what I could do. I could tell you about Malachai.” I smile. I did, I told him about all about Malachai, from how we met to how he made me feel. I was in the middle of a story about how I found Vegas and him curl up on the bed despite him pretending he hates my dog, when the door open.
“Wrong room,” I told the thin redhead beauty that step through the door.
“No, I have the right room. I came to see your dad.” She stood on the other side of my dad’s bed.
“What for,” I raise an eyebrow at her. She never even had a real conversation with my dad. She made it obvious that she thought she was too good for us. Except for the time she was trying to replace Jason with Archie.
“Your brother gave me the kiss of life at sweet water river and I’m here to give it back to your dad.” She leans down to kiss his forehead.
“What are you doing, Cheryl?” Archie came in the room, looking confused and annoyed.
“She’s giving him back the kiss of life that you gave her at sweet water.” I explain the kind gesture from the normally unkind girl.
“He’s going to wake up, Archie.” She went over to give his arm a squeeze, before walking out.
He walks over to sit on the arm of the chair I was in. “I've been thinking about what I can say to you, Dad. And I kind of started imagining what we would've talked about at Pop's this morning, if things hadn't gone to hell. You would've asked me about Veronica. I would've told you how crazy I am about her.” I look up at him, not realize that he was that serious about her. “You would have said, that's great, but take it slow Archie no one's getting married.”
Dad starts to moan and move around. “Archie, Archie he waking up,” I smack my brother’s leg to stop his ranting.
“Dad? Dad? Can you hear me?” He leans over to get a closer look. I smile as Dad open his eyes to stare at us. “Dad, I just want you to know I'm sorry I didn't do more at Pop's and whether or not Sheriff Keller finds the person who did this or not, you don't have to worry. I'm going to protect you. Nothing like this is ever going to happen to you again, I swear it.” He promises Dad when it was clear he was coherent.
“Son, that's why I came back, to protect you and your sister.” He spoke in the raspy voice.

Dad was now recovering at home. My mother was here to help take care of him. Because of her being here, I wasn’t allowed to sleep over on weekends. She said that I need to be here for the family. I was shaking with rage by the end of her scolding. If the doctor hadn’t said that my dad needs a stress free environment I would curse her out. How dare the woman tell me anything about being there for family?
I couldn’t tell her that my sleep over was going to be for the family. I need to learn how to use the pink gun that was in my underwear drawer.
Not that I trust her alone in this house for a weekend, she kept trying to reorganize things. She needs to understand that this is no longer her house. It took a week to put everything back the way I want it the last time she was here.
“I don’t understand why you put the bowls here. It makes more sense where I had it.” Mom grumbles as she made a bowl of soup for dad.
I was washing the dish to keep an eye on her. “Above the stove? No, I like the spices to be there. It makes sense to have those in reach when I’m cooking.”
Mom rolls her eyes at me. She put the bowl on a tray to carry it to dad’s room. I made two bowls for myself and Archie. I walk out to find him, where he was every night since the shooting. He was sitting in front of the door with a bat. “Come on, mom made chicken noodle soup.” I pull on his sleeve to get his attention.
“I told you, I’m not leaving this door.” His eyes never left the door, like the shooter would come through at any moment.
“If I was going to rob a house, I wouldn’t come through the front door. I would try the back door or one of the side windows.” I huff at his stubbornness. He didn’t budge like every night before. “Fine, I’ll bring dinner to you.” I went back into the kitchen. I was tempt pour some night quill in it. I denied my temptation and grab both bowls. I walk back to the entrance way to see that he didn’t move.
“I can stay up tonight, so you can get some sleep.” I held out his soup to him.
“I got this.” He took the soup while never taking his eyes off the door.
I let out a sigh as I climb the stairs, thinking about making a big turkey tomorrow. Hopefully the myth was true and he would get a nice sleep from it.