Take Me to the Races

Labor Day

It’s been three months. I was eight months pregnant now. I had to waddle everywhere, pee every 20 minutes, and get my ribs kicked by my daughter.
I tried to stay stress free for the baby's sake, but it has been hard with Archie on trial for the murder of Cassidy Bullock. He was apparently some kid that tried to rob them when they were staying at Lodge’s lake house.
I was sitting in the back of the courtroom, holding up my small electric fan which was doing very little to help since it was only blowing hot air in my face.
“Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, the evidence and testimony that was presented in this court tell a dark story. That Mr. Andrews has a history of violent behavior. That he started not one, but two masked vigilante groups. That he assaulted an innocent boy who was helpless with two broken legs. That he went wilding in the Southside of town and threatened to shoot a young man in the face. That while partying with his friends in the Town of Shadow Lake, Mr. Andrews ran into the woods and shot the victim, Cassidy Bullock, point-blank in the head. Now Mr. Andrews claims that it was his girlfriend's father's doorman who shot Mr. Bullock. A shot Mr. Andrews claims to have heard, but not seen. Who knows the truth of what happened that terrible night in the woods near Shadow Lake? I'll tell you who.” The older blonde lawyer was talking directly to the jury. She’s turns to point at my brother. “That man. Archie Andrews may be a varsity athlete and he may be a sensitive musician. But he is also a cold-blooded Killer.” She glares at Archie before taking her seat. I roll my eyes at many points in her speech. Nick St. Clair was no innocent boy. I like how she left out the fact that Cassidy was robbing them.
Mom stood up to walk to the jury on her son's behalf. “Ladies and gentlemen, we know, for a fact, that Archie Andrews constantly puts the needs of others ahead of his own. We know he helped to solve the murder of Jason Blossom. We know that he offered both friends and enemies shelter when they had nowhere else to stay. We know that he punched through a river of ice to save the life of his classmate Cheryl Blossom. Let me remind you that there were no witnesses to the actual killing. There was no murder weapon. There was no motive. At the end of the day, all the prosecution has is cloudy testimony from unreliable people. Now, it is my solemn duty as a mother to protect my son. But as an attorney, it's my duty to adhere to the facts, to the evidence. There is nothing here that proves that Archie Andrews is anything less than an innocent boy. Thank you.” She took her seat next to Archie.
“Ladies and Gentlemen of the Jury, the charge is first-degree murder. You may retire to begin your deliberations. All rise.” Judge said dismissing us.
I stay in my seat as people walk out. My mom’s eyes went wide when she saw me. She grabs me by the arm to pull me out of my chair and out of the courtroom. “You’re really pregnant.” She reaches out to rub my stomach.
“Yeah,” I folded my hands over my stomach. I felt everyone eyes on me. How as it that there was a murder case going on and a pregnant teenager was still getting attention? My dad and Jughead walk over to us. Dad didn’t even glance at me, while Jughead stare at my large belly. “Dad?” I spoke to be ignored.
“You were great in there, Mary.” He smiles at my mom.
“Thank you, Fred. It's only the most important case of our lives.” Mom nods her head, hoping that what she said was enough to persuade the jury.
“You were amazing, Mrs. Andrews. Really,” Betty joins the group to compliment my mom.
“Betty, your help over the summer was a godsend,” Mom smiles at the teenager that was interning for her.
“Have you guys seen Archie?” Veronica came over to ask. Her eyes pause on me for a second before looking back at the other people in the group. The teens went off to find her boyfriend, leaving me with my parents.
“How far along are you?” Mom turns to me.
“Eight months.” I rub my stomach.
“Do you know if it a boy or a girl?” She smiles at me.
“A girl,” I told her.
“That exciting, did you have a name yet.” She rubs my stomach again.
“Mary.” Dad clears his throat.
“Fred.” She gave him a stern look.
“What? You want to ignore the fact that we haven’t seen her in three months. She runs off with some punk. Now, she’s pregnant and hasn’t even been going to school.” He scoffed.
“What would you have me do ignore her like you. That’s not going to help the situation. Don’t you want to see your grandchild?” Right after she ask that question that bailiff came out to call us back into the courtroom.
I walk back in and took my seat in the back. “The jury is still deliberating, but I've dismissed them. They're sequestered and I've instructed them not to read anything about this case, nor to discuss it with anyone. We'll reconvene Tuesday morning after Labor Day. My advice to you, young man, is to spend this weekend with your family and your loved ones. That's all.” The judge told us. He spoke directly to Archie towards the end.
I once again waited for everyone to leave before getting up. I walk out to see Dad punching Hiram Lodge in the face. Archie was quick to pull dad off of him before things could escalade further. They walk off to get away from the situation.
Mr. Lodge pushes the report that was trying to hold him back off of him. He turns around to see me standing there. “Hello Abby, do you need a ride home?” He switches back to his sweet persona.
“Thank you, but I got a ride.” I smile as I walk past him to walk outside.
I got into Maverick’s car. “How did it go?” He asks me.
“The jury is still deliberating. They’ll continue on Tuesday.” I told him. He drove off, smirking at the Serpents as he went by.

“Come on, we going through the door way now.” Malachai guide me out the door, because I had a blindfold on. He said there was a surprise outside for me. “Step down, step down, step down.” He told me as I went down the stairs. I grip his bicep when Pebbles ran in between my legs to rush outside.
“Damn dog.” I shook my fist in the air at her.
“Alright, ready?” He snickered as he walks me a couple more steps.
“Yeah, I’m ready.” I nod my head, wanting the blindfold off more than I wanted the surprise.
He took it off and I open my eyes to see a party was going on outside, which is not unusual. But, there was a banner that said Abby and Malachai’s baby shower. “Surprise!” The Ghoulies yell out.
“Oh, thank you guys.” I smile at them.
“If you’re still stuck on names, Cricket has been great for me.” The curly haired girl came over to hug me and rub my stomach.
“Cricket? Ew might as well name her roach.” Sassy stuck her tongue out at the girl. Cricket wraps her arm around her neck and gave her a noogie. Sassy push her off and they began to shadow box.
“Who’s the dog that Pebbles is playing with?” I look over at the sheepdog that was tied to the table that Maverick was sitting on. Pebbles was jumping around him. They were playing fighting a lot like the two girls in front of me.
The girls stop playing to look over at the long haired dog. “That’s Hot Dog, the serpents left him.” Sassy nods towards the dog.
“They probably think we stole him, but I found him yesterday wandering around. They make like they love the dog so much and none of them even grab him that night.” Cricket grumbles.
“He’ll be usefully as bait to get the Serpents to show their faces, so we can get jarhead to stop sending his spies.” Malachai grumbled about the obvious Serpents that were caught spying. They hide behind trees and trailers. The funniest was the one that tried to hide behind a trash can, Maverick pick up the trash can and dumping it on him.
“Come on, pregnant woman eat first.” Verne waves me over from his spot on the grill. I walked over and got myself a slab of ribs, two hotdogs and a few pieces of cornbread. I went over to sit next to Maverick.
“Hi Hot Dog, Pebbles” I pet the dogs as I sat down on the table by him.
“I knew you came for the dogs and not me.” Maverick pouts.
“I’ll watch them. You can make your food.” I roll my eyes at my dramatic best friend. He got up and went to the grill. “Let see if you like your namesake. No, not you Pebbles.” I push her to the side to feed the skinny sheep dog the two hot dogs. He eagerly eats it. “You poor baby, you don’t look like you been eating.” I rub his sides, feeling his ribs.
Malachai took a seat next to me. Maverick and Sassy took a seat across from me. “Feed yourself and not the dogs.” Malachai took a big bite out of a bacon cheeseburger.
I roll my eyes and take apart the rib to start eating them. When I was done with them, I gave the bone to one of the dogs. “He’s so sweet. Do we have to give him back?” I cup the fluffy dog face.
“If someone found Pebbles, would you want them to keep her or give her back?” Malachai gave our dog a scratch behind the ear.
“Fine,” I pout. “Don’t make like you’re doing a good deed. You’re returning him by using him as bait.” I stuck my tongue out. He covers my mouth with his. “What are you doing?” I laugh, pulling back.
“What, was that not an invitation?” He tries to make a confuse face, but he couldn’t help but laugh too.
Hot Dog jump and gave out an excited bark. We look over to Fangs duck behind a tree and watch as he ran through the woods. “Do any of the Serpents have stealth?” I watch amused while everyone else looks on in annoyance.
The rest of the day went on without any other peepers. The guys finish putting my gifts into the house. Malachai put Hot Dog on his leash and hand it to Verne. “Alright, babe. We’re going to set him up. No matter what you hear, don’t come out.” He cups my face.
“I promise I’ll stay put.” I nodded my head in his hands.
“Why don’t you go in the bed room? You can turn on Netflix and put the headphones in.” He let me go and bent over to talk to Pebbles. “Alright knight, I need you to protect the Queen.” He gave her a few pats. They were out the door.
“Come on my furry knight.” I call Pebbles into the room with me. I grab his laptop and turn it on. I went on Netflix and watch the new seasons of On My Block.
I was on my sixth episodes when Pebbles started whining and wiggling her butt letting me know Malachai was back. The door open and he came in with his shoulder all wrapped in bandages. “What happened?” I pull out the earphones and ran over to him.
“That damn red head serpent slut shoots her arrow at me.” He sat down on the bed.
“Fucking Blossom,” I curse. “Next time, we’re keeping the damn dog.” I help him lay down on the bed.
“Next time, they’ll send them the dog’s head.” He growls as I tug his pants off for him. I lay down to cuddle on his good side.

I was sitting in the back of the courtroom, again. “All rise,” The bailiff orders. We stood up on our feet for the judge walking in. We sat when he did.
“Has the jury reached a verdict?” The judge turns to the jury.
“Your Honor, we haven't. We're deadlocked. Six-to-six. And it's not going to change.” A jury stood up to tell the room. I sigh, a mistrial meaning that we had to go through this again.
“So be it. The jury is dismissed. Thank you for your service.” The judge told them. The jury got up and left.
“Your Honor, in lieu of another trial, the State is prepared to offer a deal for a lesser sentence. Instead of prison, time served plus two years in juvenile detention, if Mr. Andrews will plead guilty to the crime of manslaughter.” The blonde lawyer stood up to offer.
“I'll take the deal.” Archie shot out of his chair.
“What?” I gasp. If he did it, it would have been a great deal but he didn’t.
“We have to discuss this.” Mom pulls on his sleeve to get his attention.
“Mom, I can't put you and everyone else through this again. Your Honor, I accept the deal.” He spoke to our mom then the judge.
“Son, just so I have it straight, though it's legally within your rights, you're ignoring the advice of your counsel, your own mother.” The judge was giving him another chance to take it back.
“Yes, you’re Honor. I'm guilty.” He nods his head.
“Mr. Andrews, the court accepts your plea of guilt. You'll be taken directly from the courthouse to the Leopold and Loeb Juvenile Detention Center, where you will serve out your sentence beginning immediately. This court is adjourned.” He bangs his gavel down.
The police came over to handcuff him. Hiram was the first to stand up as we rise to watch him get escorted out of the room. “I love you, Veronica.” He calls out to her as he walks by.
“No, no, no. You can't take him away! He's innocent. He didn't do anything!” She ran after them.
“Take care of my niece.” He nods his head towards me. I nod my head, with tears falling down my face. Veronica hugs me and we cry into each other’s arms.
“It okay, we going to get him out.” Betty came over to rub our backs. Veronica let go of me to cling on to her.
I ran out of the courtroom, not being able to stand it. I jump into the Monza. “GO!” I yell and Maverick took off.
“They found him guilty?” His jaw drops in disbelief.
“No, but the idiot took a deal for two years of Juvie.” I sob. I stare at the window as I continue to cry.
When Maverick parks the car, I jumped out and ran to the trailer. I found Malachai lying on the coach with Pebbles. “We have to go.” I walk into the bedroom and pull a suitcase out from under the bed.
“What the hell are you talking about? Where do you have to go?” He grabs the suitcase from me.
“Anywhere but here, Riverdale is a toxic waste land. Lodge is the devil. Archie used to be his lap dog and the minute he doesn’t agree with him. He destroyed his life. What’s going to happen when he no longer needs the Ghoulies? When he no longer need you? If anything goes wrong, you’re going to be the fall guy. We can’t stay here.” I grab onto his leather cut as I beg him.
“Babe, calm down. You’re just emotional right now, you’re not thinking straight.” He wipes the tears from my face.
“I might be emotional, but you know I’m right.” I poke his good shoulder.
“I’ll make you a deal if something like that happens we’ll run.” He grabs my hands to stop me.
“No, it’ll be too late by then. He’ll be on guard and out for blood. We need to do it now, if not for us then the baby.” I plead.
“If you still want to when you calm down, then I’ll think about it.” He looks down at my stomach. A part of me felt bad that I was using the baby as a way to guilt trip him, but I push it to the back of my brain. I knew that I was saving his life.