Ships That Pass in the Night

Stay

crackling fire.
Together they sat alone by the hearth in what had become something of a ritual for the two, with Falanyel sipping on hot tea and Samhan imbibing ale. Falanyel’s father retired earlier than the youngsters; Samhan was something of a night owl, but Falanyel hadn’t always been. Ever since the incident on the island, she’d stayed up later and later, dreading the thought of having to go to bed.
She turned to face his frigid eyes, the color that caused her so many nightmares. In her sleep, those same eyes would haunt her relentlessly, but, when they were on Samhan… She felt comforted by his presence, like he was a ward against evil. Like he could defeat them, somehow, by possessing unnaturally colored eyes.
It was ridiculous, really, her thoughts, but that’s what things had come to lately.
“I don’t sleep anymore, Samhan.” She admitted softly.
“I keep telling you alcohol will help with that.” He suggested, thrusting his mug forward.
“Firstly, I don’t like alcohol.” Falanyel glared at his mug. “And secondly, I daresay I shan’t be relegated to being an alcoholic for the rest of my life.”
The sailor shrugged. “Just a suggestion.”
Silence hung between them, save for the crackling of the fire.
“Stay with me, Samhan.” She said in a somber tone, resigned to the fate before her.
“I’m already with you.” He stated, clearly misunderstanding her implication.
“No, I mean…” She trailed off, losing her confidence. What she was about to suggest was so taboo it would… It would probably result in marriage if they ever got caught. Marriage to the wrong man. Falanyel wasn’t sure if that mattered when she couldn’t sleep.
“I’m not sure that’s a good idea, Falanyel.” He replied, voice tempered. “If your father found out…”
Eyes downcast, she stared at the ground, focused only on trying not to cry. She heard the sailor move, but didn’t bother to look at him. Next she knew, his knees came into view. Looking up, she met his frigid eyes, gazing down at her with an undue amount of sympathy.
Offering his hand, Samhan nodded with his head towards the stairs.
She took it without a word.