Sequel: Blue on Black
Status: Comments = Frequent Updates

A Welcome Burden

Chapter 9: Into The Night

Logan and I walked for what seemed like hours before coming to a cliff overlooking a raging river below and snowy mountain tops in the distance. It was so beautiful here and the water below was calming. I turned around to see Logan had the blanket spread out on the ground. I sat down with him as he handed me a red Gatorade and then a sandwich.

"Cheyenne? You remember when I told you that I believed I was from Canada?"

"I remember." I said nodding.

"The truth is I don't know for sure where I'm from or what my real age is."

"I'm not sure I understand." I said setting my sandwich down on my lap.

"All I know is I woke up with these dogtags. One saying Logan and the other Wolverine."

"What do you mean by just woke up? You can't remember where you were beforehand?" I questioned. Logan sadly shook his head no before unshealthing the metal claws.

"That's where my dreams come in. I keep dreaming about a tank filled with water. I'm inside of it and strapped down. I can see people standing around and these drills coming right down on me. I can feel them puncturing me and my bones boiling like acid. When it's done...I'm angry. So very angry and I bust out of the tank. I always wake up before I see what the light at the end of the tunnel shows."

I know exactly what Logan is talking about but I wonder why he can't remember and I can? Maybe he's repressed the memory of that horrible day.

"I know I wasn't born with this metal coated skeleton so someone put it there but...I don't know whether I volunteered or what. That's where it gets fuzzy."

"What about your family?" I asked and he shrugged.

"Not sure if I have a family. I've pretty much been on my own until you showed up." That's gotta be terrible...Wondering around hopelessly not knowing how you got there or who you are.

"There's just one thing that freaks me out sometimes. I tend to have random flashbacks. Sorta like when someone keeps skipping scenes on a movie."

"What are the flashbacks of?" I asked curiously.

"Fighting in different wars with guns you'd find in a antique store, horses and buggies going down dirt roads, walking through a dark hallway with only a light from a candle. Stuff like that."

"That can't be possible Logan. I was a history major in high school and if I'm correct everything you listed would be from the 1830s...that would mean you're over 150 years old." I explained to him and he shrugged his shoulders.

"Maybe it's possible. I mean with this healing ability thing I have." I ran my hand down my face taking in the presence of the 150 plus year old man sitting in front of me.

"Honestly I wasn't expecting you to say what you said."

"What were you expecting." He asked.

"Other than you asking me to leave? I figured you were some kind of fugitive running from the law."

"Seriously Chey? I've been giving off that vibe this entire time?" He said taking hurt.

"No of course not. Logan I could give two shits about how old you really are. All that matters is how you treat me."

"Thanks Chey. You're alright...for a girl." I gently extended my leg and kicked him in the shin playfully. When we finished eating I stood up.

"Logan?"

"Hm?" He said looking at me, "What's wrong kid?"

"I haven't been completely honest about my abilities."

"What do you mean?" He questioned. I sighed and took several steps back away from him.

"I...I have another mutation that I've been able to control for a very long time. It's easier if I show you the first one." He nodded his head for me to continue. I closed my eyes and sighed before letting the wolf out. I looked at Logan with my enhanced body before speaking directly into his mind.

With this ability...I can speak into your mind. Before you had that nightmare, I snuck out to go hunting. Unlike your healing ability mine wears down over time and to replenish it...I have to have fresh blood. I should have told you about this earlier but I didn't know how to go about it. When you said you wanted to talk I had some time to think about telling you about this mutation. Please don't be afraid of me Logan.

I watched as he stood to his feet and slowly came over to me. I backed away.

"I'm not afraid of you Chey." He said coming closer. I closed my eyes as his hand connected with my head petting me like a dog. It sent sparks deep into my soul. I pushed the wolf away returning to my human form.

"That was pretty fucking sweet. Just let me know when you have to feed. I'll stop so you can."

"You still want me with you?" I asked.

"Of course. I can't just abandon my partner in crime." I smiled as Logan brought me in for a hug. He accepted me. Something that I've longed for.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Logan and I spent the better part of the whole day sitting and enjoying the sounds of the waterfall until the dark grey clouds began to form. A storm was brewing and I could feel it.

"We better head back before we get washed out." Logan commented and I helped him gather up everything we brought. We left the beautiful place and headed back the way we came. Thunder rolled before a drop of rain hit my cheek.

"I don't think we are gonna make it to the camper." I said as the rain steadily grew into a downpour.

"Just stay close to me." I followed Logan closely stepping where he did.

"I need to catch my breath." I said breathing heavily as I leaned against a tree for support. Through the pouring rain I heard a growl.

"Logan! What was that?" I asked looking around. Another growl came before the bushes rustled and out stepped 8 snarling wolves and they were looking at me. They must sense my wolf side.

"Chey get behind me." Logan said pulling me away from the tree as the animals got closer.

"We must be too close to their home. If we stay still they might...fuck!" Logan began to say before one grabbed his arm. He slung it from him hitting it against the tree I was leaning on killing it. A second jumped up but Logan's blades killed it before it could deliver a bite. 4 more attacked at once knocking him down.

The 2 remaining ones looked in my direction. I turned and ran but not far. I unleashed the much bigger wolf. I snarled at the only one that had followed me. The male wolf lunged but my claws found its mark. My teeth sank into its neck and I violently slung the animal breaking its neck. My ears picked up Logan's scream and I ran back to him. He had killed all but one but Logan was down and bleeding at the top of the cliff. His wounds healing but not fast enough. I ran full speed at the wolf and grabbed it in my teeth as we went over the edge.

"CHEYENNE!!!" I heard Logan yell. My body hit the side of the cliff and I could feel pain as I hit the water. I kicked my leg to get to shore but stopped at the pain. It's probably broken.

"Come on! Chey swim to me!" Logan said on the bank but the current was way too strong and with only one leg to work with I was losing this battle. Logan. Reached to snag me but missed. I saw the waterfall. My eyes widened and I tried again to swim but still I couldn't.

"Chey!! No!" Logan yelled as my body tumbled down the waterfall.
♠ ♠ ♠
**Hey guys! So what do you think? Don't fret there will be a part 3 to this chapter but first some pictures again. These are just to show you what Cheyenne looks like in her wolf form. I hope you enjoyed this chapter but please comment and let me know how I'm doing.

Wolf Size:
[img]https://www.pinterest.com/pin/550072541969737328/[/img]

Fur Color:
[img]https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/590745676091077322/[/img]