Sequel: Blue on Black
Status: Comments = Frequent Updates

A Welcome Burden

Chapter 13

As our night at the biker/country bar progressed the more tipsy I became. On top of the 5 bourbons I've had, I ordered 3 more while Logan and I played pool. Playing pool was actually fun. I'm glad Logan suggested we come out tonight.

"Your shot Chey."

"Let's see." I said rubbing a small blue chalk square on the end of the cue. After all those drinks I'm having a tough time standing up. I leaned against the pool table attempting to aim but failing miserably.

"Is someone a little bit tipsy?"

"Maybe I am. Maybe I'm not." I said again attempting to aim up my shot.

"Let me help you out." Suddenly I felt Logan's chest against my back. His hand held mine steadily as I took my shot. The feeling of Logan's breath against my neck sent a shiver through my body. I wanted Logan but It has been a long time since I've felt pleasure from a man. I'm just too big of a coward to voice my feelings. Who knows if he would want to do anything with me? I guess that's how life turns out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~Logan's POV~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


The clock on my radio showed it was 5 minutes till one in the morning. We had left the bar a few minutes ago after Cheyenne couldn't steady herself enough to play pool. I barely got her to the truck before she passed completely out. In the 5 hours we were at the bar I had went through several pitches of beer but I've been drinking for a long time. I can handle my alcohol. Cheyenne can't however. The 8 small bourbon shots she had would have never phased me which proved her to be a lightweight. One thing I did notice before she passed out, when she's tipsy, she opens up more. I loved watching her up on that stage singing with so much passion and never taking her eyes off of me. I bet if she was sober she would have never gotten up there.

I glanced over at Cheyenne as I drove through the campground to get back to our spot. She looked so peaceful as she slept. The full moon lit up the cab showing me the bronzeness of her smooth face. She was perfect in every way to me. I pulled into our spot and turned off the truck with a sigh. I have it bad for this girl. There's no denying it. I felt like a teenager from a chick flick crushing on the most beautiful girl in school. I want to tell her how I feel about her but I'm afraid I'll scare her away. Hell she's a beautiful young woman and in this grizzly looking man who doesn't know one aspect of my existence. There's no way she could fall for a man like me could she?

"Chey? Chey we're back. Time for you to wake up." I said nudging her but she never moved or made a sound.

"Cheyenne?" I said again shaking her. She was out of it completely. I got out of the truck and went over to her side. The door opened and she slid right into my arms. The smell of her cherry blossom shampoo went into my nose. I loved that smell. For such a small girl she sure was heavy. I carried her to the camper and opened with door miraculously with one hand before laying her down on the couch.

"Logan?" She said not opening her eyes.

"I'm here." I pulled the blanket over her and watched as she snuggled into the couch. I sat down on the coffee table and stared at her sleeping form as she faced me. Her fiery colored hair was draped across her face and I instinctively reached out and brushed it away. I couldn't look away from her beautiful face.

Fuck it. I'm not gonna hide what I feel about her. I didn't have the slightest clue how my feelings developed for her so fast but I cared deeply for the girl. There has to be some reason or purpose she was brought into my life and I'm determined to keep it that way. I needed to tell Cheyenne how I feel or I'm gonna lose what's left of my mind. We are both people with mutant abilities that could care less about what society thinks about us so why can't we face this fucked up world together? I just hope she feels the same way about me but I won't know unless I tell her first. I just gotta figure out how to do that...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~Cheyenne's POV~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


3 days have passed since Logan and I went to that bar and had the greatest time of our lives. Of course I can't remember much of it seeing as I drank more than I should have. I felt so embarrassed when Logan said I went up on the stage and started singing but he reassured me that the crowd loved it. That sent a wave of relief over me. I didn't wanna be like those other people who got up there before me. Man were they fucking horrible. No wonder people were doing more drinking than listening.

Speaking of Logan. He seems a bit different since that night. Not in a bad way bit more like lost in thought. I wonder what's on his mind? Sometimes we'd be talking and he would just space out until I said his name. Other times I'd catch him staring at me. Usually it would be when he's driving to and from the store or when he doesn't think I'm paying attention. I did ask him one time what he was looking at but he'd just say nothing in particular. A knot in my stomach told me otherwise but whether it was good or bad is a different subject entirely.

Well today is our Independence Day. I'm not looking forward to tonight because of the fireworks people will be setting off. I don't like the loud booms they make. I'm the same with thunder. It scares the hell out of me and all I want to do is hide. The only thing I'm looking forward to is Logan's so called 'Grill skills' as he puts it. Yesterday morning we went to the store to get all the fixings for our hamburger feast along with some stuff for me to make pickles. Logan has been so anxious to try them since I made them. Right now I'm just finishing up cutting some lettuce, onion, and tomatoes for our burgers. When I got them done, I grabbed my jar of homemade bread and butter pickles and left the camper.

"You want cheese on your burger?" Logan asked as I set the stuff down on a small foldable table.

"Nope. I like cheese and all but not melted on a burger."

"You're weird! That's like the best thing ever." He exclaimed in shock as he put cheese on his burgers.

"If you wanna try these pickles you'll be nice." I threatened which shut him up quick. I chuckled shaking my head as I made my burger.

"Ketchup on a hamburger? Now you're stretching it."

"What? I don't like tomatoes." I said putting a piece of onion and my homemade pickles on top.

"Ketchup is made with tomatoes."

"I know but I like them this way. I never could stomach eating a raw tomato." I stated before sitting down. Logan sat next to me as he plopped one of my homemade pickles in his mouth.

"Oh damn these are way better than store bought!"

"I told you so. Oh and you can keep your grill skills. This burger is fantastic." I said between bites.

After eating my second burger I was beyond full but it was well worth it.

"Hey Chey?"

"Hey what?" I said lighting up a cigarette with my ability. I always like having a cigarette after a big meal.

"Would you like to...to take a walk in a few minutes with me? I'd like to talk to you about something."

Talk to me? This can't be good..

"Um sure. Why not?" I said nodding my head as I got up from my seat. I took all the food back into the camper wrapping it up tight and putting it into the fridge. I wonder what he wants to talk to me about? It has to be something serious or he would just come right out and say it. I guess I'll find out in a minute.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~


The sun was setting emmiting a orangey red tint in the sky. It was stunning with the water of the lake as Logan and I walked away from our campsite. My mind sped through the different scenarios on what could Logan want to speak with me about but my mind was coming up with nonsense. So instead I focused my mind the best I could on the sound of the rippling water. It worked a little bit but not as much as I hoped.

"Cool night huh?" Logan said breaking the silence barrier between us.

"Yes it is." The wind blew through my hair as we walked tossing it into my face.

"So Chey I um..." Logan started to speak before the shrill whistle of a bottle rocket pierced the sky. I quickly brought my hands to my ears dulling down the loud boom. I liked the colors the fireworks gave off. It was just the sound that got me. I looked over at Logan but he already had his eyes trained on me.

"God I hate the sound fireworks make. I don't mind seeing the different colors and patterns but I wish they made some without such a loud noise." I said uncovering my ears.

"Yeah it is pretty loud." The smile that I found so attractive on him came but quickly faded.

"So Chey...about what I wanted to talk to you about. I need to be honest with you about something." Oh shit...here it comes. I swear if my stomach gets anymore knotted I'm gonna throw up.

"What is it Logan?" He paused for a moment before speaking.

"Are you ready for an extremely personal question?"

"We haven't done that in a while." I commented.

"This is a pretty big question."

"Logan, what's the matter? You're starting to freak me out. You know you can tell me anything." I said truthfully.

"You're not the only one who is freaking out."

"Logan just tell me." I said stopping in front of him.

"How do you see me?"

"With my eyes. Now what's on your mind?" I said being a smartass. I looked down at my hands as Logan took them in his.

"No. What I mean is how do you see me? Do you see me as just a good friend or...or something more than that?" As soon as the question left his mouth, I felt like I had a frog in my throat. I swallow hard to push the heaviness away.

"I..well I.."

"Don't answer that yet. Cheyenne these past few weeks...Alright I don't know how to say this but to just to come right out and say it." It was cute how Logan was stumbling over his words trying to find the right ones to say.

"What I'm trying to say is that I have a major crush on you. I know..I know it's lame as shit but I don't know how else to describe what I'm feeling. I care so much about you even though we haven't known each other for very long but I...I just can't help it. I just wanna know how you feel about me before I go out of my mind." I was shocked. Completely and utterly shocked at what Logan just said to me but I was so happy to know that he liked me as much as I like him. It was validation.

"Chey? Are you ok?" He asked. I couldn't find the words. I just starred at him blinking like an idiot.

"God I'm so stupid! I shouldn't have said anything! Chey I'm sorry I didn't mean to scare..."

"I do too." I said finding my voice.

"What?"

"I...I care about you a lot too Logan." I said looking into his eyes.

"You do?" Logan took a small step towards me.

"Yeah. I mean it was pretty obvious that I do. I can barely look at you most of the time because well...I'd be lying my ass off if I said that I didn't find you very attractive." I said bashfully as I gently swirled my foot into the wet sandy shoreline. Oh jeez did that really come out of my mouth?? I quickly glanced up at Logan before looking back down.

"Wow...I can say the same about you but I don't have a problem looking at you." A smile with a deep blush crept onto my face. I felt relieved. Like the weight of the world was off my shoulders.

"You think I'm attractive?" I said shyly looking up at him.

"Hell yeah. Cheyenne I think you're the most beautiful woman in the world." Again a blush formed on my cheeks and I turned my head so he couldn't see. I felt like I had millions and millions of butterflies caged in my stomach.

"So um...so where do we go from here?" I asked. Logan let go of one of my hands.

"How's this?" Even the feeling of his rough hand gave my heart the flutters. I looked at our intertwined fingers before finding Logan's infectious smile.

"I'm good with that." I said nodding. Logan and I continued walking down the shoreline hand in hand until I spotted the old lighthouse.

"That's a beautiful lighthouse."

"You wanna check it out up close? I bet we could see a lot of fireworks from the top." Logan suggested. I nodded my head and we walked closer and closer. The lighthouse sat upon another rock shelf. No one had used this place for some time but it gave off that rustic look with the kudzu growing up the stone walls.

"Follow right behind me. Never know what's in these old places." Logan said walking ahead but keeping my hand in his. Just like the outside, the staircase leading up to the light was made of stone.

Each window cutout we passed had their glass windows broken out by vandalizers. We took each stone step carefully before reaching the very top. I looked out the broken window. Damn we were high as hell but the view! Oh the view was so amazing. The wind whipped through the broken windows blowing my hair around in my face. As I  tucked my hair behind my ears I looked at Logan. My heart was beating quickly at his gaze.

Suddenly the loud thundering boom of another round of fireworks went off and I forced myself into Logan's chest. I peered out watching the bright colors light up the sky. I looked back at Logan and his eyes had never left me but his arms had encircled my back. The wind picked up again blowing my hair in my face again.

"Let me get that for you." Logan's hand brushed across my cheek as he tucked my hair behind my ear. When my face was clear his hand lingered on my face. His thumb gently rubbing over my cheek.

"I love the way your eyes change color." I shyly chuckled. Here we go again with the non-working mouth...

"You don't have to be shy with me anymore Chey." Before I could find my voice, Logan's head slowly came down and our lips connected. His hand slid to the back of my neck. The kiss was like a raging fire igniting in my veins. All my worries and tension cast away.

My arms went around Logan's midsection pulling him closer to me. A groan left his body as he gently led me backwards until my back hit the cold stone wall. The kiss intensified as our tongues twirled together fighting for dominance. My stomach did backflips as Logan's hands caressed my sides before settling on my hips. We broke for air, even though I didn't want to, as we rested out foreheads together. I saw out of the corner of my eye a small rock floating in the air. I pulled my head up to see a dozen or so floating aimlessly and very slowly.

"I'm guessing this is a good thing?" Logan said swatting away a pebble that was close to his head. I nodded my head as I pushed some away from me as well.

"I've been waiting so long to do that."

"Me too Logan. Me too." I said smiling before giving him another quick peck on the lips. Sometimes life throws you curve balls but sometimes...it gives you a second chance.
♠ ♠ ♠
**It's about time right? I'm so sorry I haven't updated until now but I've been a bit busy. Sorry for by inconvience. Oh and be sure to comment. I'd love to know what you all think about this story and be sure to check out my blogs as well.**

Shirt:
[img]https://wornstar.com/collections/mens-tees/products/rock-n-roll-forever-tee[/img]

Pants:
Image

Homemade Pickles:
[img]https://www.browneyedbaker.com/bread-and-butter-pickles/[/img]

Lighthouse:
[img]https://www.redbubble.com/people/ajevans/works/5518743-talacre-lighthouse[/img]

Fireworks Show:
[img]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ofg523RlP08[/img]