Sequel: Blue on Black
Status: Comments = Frequent Updates

A Welcome Burden

Chapter 18

I sat on the small porch of the cabin smoking a cigarette enjoying the nice breeze the summer rarely provided especially at night. Logan had cooked us dinner tonight. Man the aroma still coming from inside made my mouth water even though my stomach was completely full. I was a little sad tonight because tomorrow we are leaving again. I loved these woods. It has more prey than I could ask for. Well minus a few creatures from yesterday night's hunt. I had taken down a bear and what blood I didn't need, I made sure to salvage and put into a few jars for a later time.

"Hey beautiful." Logan said coming out of the cabin. He bent down and gently kissed my lips.

"Hey handsome."

"Feels pretty good tonight." He said as he sat down beside me in one of the handcrafted wooden rocking chairs.

"Oh yeah I know. It's good to have a break from the heat but I think it's gonna storm." Logan looked up at the sky seeing the darkening clouds in the distance.

"I think you're right." I kept my eyes on the clouds in the distance. I could see streaks of lightning dancing from one cloud to the next. It was actually quite the show mother nature was giving.

Logan and I stayed on the porch a little while longer before heading inside. Thunder rolled through the darkness after flashes of light lit up the woods. I shook with fright as a loud crack of lightning struck just a few yards away.

"Chey are you alright?"

"Yeah...I'm just not a fan of thunder." I said as Logan laid down in bed with me.

"Don't worry sweetheart. I'm right here." Logan pulled me closer and held onto me tightly. I focused on the sound of his beating heart and it calmed me enough to where I fell off to sleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~


After the storm has passed during the night, Logan and I got up and left the cabin in the woods. I'm not sure where we are headed this time but I was excited for the next journey. We've been riding around for a while now occasionally stopping for a gas fill up and bathroom breaks. I'm not completely sure if we are still in Kentucky since I fell asleep.

"It's about that time again. What would you like for dinner?" Logan asked as we stopped at a red light in the unknown town.

"I was thinking something greasy but also something sweet and salty."

"There's a Sonic up the road. How does that sound?" He questioned.

"Sounds awesome! Let's go!" As soon as the light changed, Logan pressed on the gas and got into the right lane before turning into the fast food joint. We got into an empty stall and cut the engine.

"Man would you look at all this shit." I looked at the delicious menu deciding what I wanted to eat and drink. Logan pushed the little red button and a woman's voice came through the speaker. He quickly gave his order before turning to me.

"What would you like Chey?" I leaned over his lap and looked at the board. I felt Logan's hand run down the back of my head stroking my hair.

"I'd like a SuperSonic Bacon Double Cheeseburger with mayo, onion rings, and a Reese's Sonic Blast please."

"Alright. I have 2 foot long chili cheese coneys with onion rings and a peanut butter shake. Then a SuperSonic Bacon Double Cheeseburger with mayo, onion rings, and a Reese's Sonic Blast. Would you like to add some Mozzarella Sticks?"

"Sure. Give me 2 orders of those." Logan told the woman.

"Alrighty. Your total is $27.38. Your carhop will be out shortly."

Logan pulled open his ashtray to put out his cigar but it was too full.

"I'll be right back. Gotta empty this." I nodded my head and watched Logan as he walked away from the truck. The trashcan wasn't too far away so I could still see him.

I pulled out a cigarette and blew out the end lighting it up. I didn't have to worry about people seeing me use my ability since there wasn't a big crowd. I took in my surroundings when I got an uneasy feeling. The kind of feeling you get when you think someone is watching you.

I looked around as I blew the smoke from my mouth. My eyes scanned the parking lot and the one behind us. There wasn't anything there. I looked up into the rearview mirror to see 3 people with hooded jackets standing in the shadows. What the fuck? I turned around in my seat and they were still there. They were staring right at me but I couldn't see their faces. Their scents didn't even give me a hint of recollection.

"Logan?" I said but he never answered. I looked away and he was walking towards the truck.

"Logan!" I yelled this time which made him pick up his pace and pull the door open.

"What's wrong Chey?"

"Those guys! Right behind us are staring at the truck." I informed him. Logan looked all around.

"There's no one there Chey." I looked behind us but the 3 people were gone.

"I...but there were people there a second ago." I said completely dumbfounded at their sudden disappearance.

"You wanna get out of here?"

"No...I think my mind is just playing tricks on me." I said as Logan got into the truck.

"Are you sure you're okay?" I nodded my head and moved across the seat to sit closely beside him.

I glanced over my shoulder once more but the people were still gone. I couldn't even pick up their scent. Maybe they had decided against whatever they were going to do when they saw Logan. I don't know but I was glad that those people were gone. It wasn't long after, that our carhop came to the truck's window and gave us our food. Logan paid and we were on our way down the road again as we ate in silence.
♠ ♠ ♠
**Please send some comments my way! I'd love to know what you think about it and I wanna know how you all think this story is gonna end**