Sequel: Blue on Black
Status: Comments = Frequent Updates

A Welcome Burden

Chapter 2: On My Own

Present Day...

As I look back on the years I wished like Hell that I'd have just ran away on my own accord. When I woke up from being drugged by one of that man's henchman, I was in a cage with thick steel bars. I was alone and confused. The place was totally dark but I could see. It was like someone had put a pair of night vision goggles on my eyes. The cage was small like a prison cell you would see in a movie. That cage became my home for 4 years until I escaped. In those 4 years, I was tested on and stressed to my limits. Evidently I have more abilities than just being able to make things uncontrollably move. Through their testing I found out that I could control and generate fire. The first time it happened my normal brown colored hair changed and turned black, red, and orange. I swear it looked like I had flaming hair.

The next thing I found out was my ability to change into a carnivorous predator. I could transform my body into a Cougar, Lion, Tiger, a Bear but most commonly a wolf. I wasn't a normal sized wolf either. I stood at least 2 feet taller than a regular one and more bulky. Because of my transformation, I also found out that my eyes change color depending on my mood and I could regenerate damages to my body within seconds but that dwindled over time unless I consumed fresh blood. When I mean fresh...I mean I have to kill the animal myself.

The last thing I found out about myself had to be the most frightening. I had 3 bone like appendages that sprang out of my knuckles on each hand at least 6 inches in length. Notice that I said had. Those bones and the bones that cover my entire body are now made of an indestructible metal called Adamantium. It was forced into my body by drills in an underwater tank. The grey liquid burned like white hot sulphuric acid. I felt my life leave my body but it soon came back thanks to my regeneration. After Stryker's experiment was a success after many failed attempts on other mutants, which I had found out before I escaped, I heard that he was going to harvest me and use my DNA to do something with. I had to get out of there and fast. Basically I played dead. I chose my opportunity to escape and took it. I didn't want to end up like the dozens and dozens of other mutants he had tried this on. Yes I killed some of his men while escaping but it was something I had to do.

Now 4 years later I'm on my own. I wonder the roads hitching rides from time to time to rest my tired feet. Not once in my 4 years of being on my own have I met another mutant like me but I have come across numerous news reports on my kind.

You're probably wondering how I'm surviving. Well...I barely am. What money I can pick pocket from people's wallets I have to keep. While most of the time I get things via a five finger discount. I don't like stealing from stores but I gotta do what I gotta do because I don't foresee anything changing in the near future.

I sighed to myself as I stood to my feet from taking a break from walking. I haven't seen a town in weeks and I'm desperate to find somewhere I can freshen up. I've managed to keep my clothes somewhat clean while on my travels but I need to change. A few miles back there was a sign telling the direction to a town. Hopefully I can make it before any shops close. The racket of an engine sounded and I hitched out my thumb. A truck pulled over and I went to the passenger side window with my bags.

"You need a ride Miss?"

"Yes. I mean if you don't mind. I'm just going to the town." I replied.

"Todays your lucky day. I'm heading that way so hop in." I nodded and threw my bags into the bed of the older man's truck before climbing into the cab. The ride was silent and I was grateful to not be walking.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


"Um....Miss?" I felt myself being shaken. I opened my eyes never realising I had fallen asleep during the drive.

"We're in town right?" I asked rubbing my eyes.

"Yes ma'am but this is as far as I can take you. I really have to be getting back after I pick up a few things from here." I look put the window seeing the CO-OP sign.

"That's fine. How much farther is the main part of town?" I questioned.

"It's just over that hill over yonder."

"Thanks for the ride." I said getting out of the truck with him and grabbing my bags out of the bed.

"You be careful on your own ma'am. There's a ton of crazies out there these days." Yeah...that's because I am one of them.

"I know all about the crazies." I said nodding before walking away from him.

I left the CO-OP parking lot and continued down the road in the direction he pointed out. Sure enough when I got to the top of the hill there was the town. The first building I came to was a convience store and I went inside. A bell above the door alerted the clerk behind the counter of my presence. I went straight to the counter.

"Hello! Can I help you with something?"

"Um...where's your restroom?" I asked somewhat shyly.

"In the back. Here's the key." The woman handed me the key that had a small keychain attached to it. I couldn't even venture a guess as to what it was. I went to the back of the store and unlocked the restroom door. I went inside locking it back. Don't need anyone walking in on me.

I placed my bags on the floor of the clean bathroom. It was way cleaner than some of the places I've been in. Thank God. I looked at myself in the mirror. Damn I looked horrible. My face was dirty, my hair a complete mess, my clothes were beginning to smell. I turned on the faucet getting the water warm before pulling out a hairbrush.

"This is going to be one hell of a job to do." I said to no one but myself. I took my greasy hair down out of the pony tail and brushed it out.

Once I got all the tangles out, I wet my hair until it was dripping with water. Next thing I got out of my bag was a 2 in 1 men's shampoo. I could never find a women's shampoo and conditioner at any of the places I went to but that's alright. I liked the smell of this men's shampoo and it does the trick. I lathered up my hair and instantly felt so much cleaner before rincing it out. As my hair air dried, I got to work cleansing the rest of my body until I was satisfied. I changed out of my dirty clothes and threw them away. I needed more clothes anyways so hopefully I'll find somewhere here that isn't too crowded. I really hated to steal from people but what can I do? I don't stay in the same place that often so it would be pointless to get money the honorable way. A loud banging on the bathroom door startled me as I put my things away.

"Occupied! I'll be out in a minute!" I shouted through the door in which a heavy frustrated sigh could be heard from whoever was impatiently waiting. I haven't been in here that long so the person can just wait.

I pushed the hand drier turning it on and put my head underneath the cool air. Goosebumps prickled my skin but quickly went away. You see with being able to control and generate fire, my body temperature automatically rises when I'm in the cold. I'm glad I can control that. It would look pretty weird if steam were rising off my body. Again the loud banging on the door came and I rolled my eyes. Impatient motherfucker... I grabbed my bags and unlocked the door. I didn't even get through the door before the impatient man knocked me out of the way before slamming the door.

"Asshole." I said under my breath. I rolled my eyes as I looked around the store making sure to scope out any security cameras. Luckily I didn't see any and I began loading my back pack down with junk food and a few drinks. I didn't take much. Only enough to last a couple of days.

I thanked the clerk for allowing me to use the facilities and gave her back the key. When she turned her back to me, I grabbed a few cartons of cigarettes before leaving. Now I need to get me some clothes. I walked down the sidewalk of the lonely town until I came across a thrift store. I went inside and looked around. The clerk standing behind the counter couldn't be older than 16 or 17. By the look on her face she didn't fancy being there either. Probably just mad at her parents for making her work to pay for whatever she needed.

The place was empty except for a few people so it would be fairly easy to get what I needed. I pretended to browse through the clothing and every now and then I'd stuff an article of clothing into my duffle bag. This place didn't have cameras either. What a trusting place. I turned into another isle looking at the jeans as a woman and her daughter were looking at the dresses on the other side. I completely bypassed that side. I have never liked wearing dresses.

"Mom why do I have to wear a dress for? Can't I just wear something that looks nice but is comfortable too?"

"It's your graduation honey. You're gonna be starting middle school next year. You need to look nice." The mother said. I feel sorry for the girl. I remember when my mother wanted me to wear a dress but at least she was a little more lenient with me.

"I hate dresses."

"I'll tell you what. If we can't find a nice dress that you think is comfortable we'll get something else. How does that sound?" The mother said. By the way she was laughing I could tell the girl agreed. My mind flew back to the time my mother was still alive. I miss her so much. I miss the fun times we had when she would have some time off. I miss the laughter and crying over stupid shit. God I just miss everything about her...

"Mom what's happening?" I opened my eyes seeing the racks begin to violently shake. I grabbed a few more items of clothing before zipping up my bags and leaving the store as the racks were thrown around in the store. Stupid telekinesis! Why won't it just settle down for once?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
♠ ♠ ♠
**Hey everyone! Hope you enjoyed the chapter. I'm working on the next chapter but I don't know when it will be posted. Anyways leave me some comments so I know how I'm doing.**