Sequel: Blue on Black
Status: Comments = Frequent Updates

A Welcome Burden

Chapter 4: Why?

I groaned quietly as I regained consciousness. My eyes fluttered open as I felt both the scratchiness and softness of whatever I was lying on. My night vision kicked in as I blinked my eyes. Where the hell am I? The images of the bar incident came flooding back to me. This man had saved me so I must be in the camper he was towing. My hand went to my head where the bat gave me a gash. He had bandaged me up. I took the bandage from my head feeling for the broken skin but it was already healed. I looked around the space I was in. It was pretty small but not enough for 2 people.

I sat up on the cheap couch throwing the blanket from my body. There was a small fridge, a table with 2 chairs, cabinets for dishes, several drawers, a sink, and a door leading to the outside. I looked to my right seeing a ladder that went up to a loft area and another door a few inches away. Must be the bathroom. To my left there was a TV with a DVD player, a lamp, and a table with a small glow in the dark clock that read 3:16am. Damn. How long had I been knocked out for? The glow from the moon dimly shined through the curtains covering the small window leading to the outside. I need some fresh air.

I stood to my feet grabbing my pack of smokes and took a step but the floor creaked loudly. Rustling in the loft area startled me as I stood still waiting for a voice but nothing came. I let out a quiet breath as I opened the door and stepped out into the cool night air. The rain had stopped some time ago and the clouds opened up to show the star filled sky.

I took a cancer stick from the pack and with an outward blow, the end of the cigarette lit. I took a couple of puffs to keep it lit before exhaling the smoke through parted lips. My mind went back to the stranger in the bar. Why did he save me? Why did he bring me with him? Those are some questions only he could answer. I looked around the wooded area we were in. It was isolated and only a few crickets and frogs chirped their nightly tunes.

"Hey kid." I quickly turned around at the voice of my savior almost dropping my lit cigarette on the wet ground. I hadn't even noticed the chairs and a pile of wood that were sitting upright had now toppled over thanks to my over thinking mind.

"You alright kid?" All I could do was nod and take in his appearance. He wore a tight white wife beater and a pair of sleep pantss he had obviously wore to bed. I'd be lying if I said that he wasn't extremely attractive.

"You gotta name kid?" He asked as he turned the chair upright.

"I'm..I'm Cheyenne."

"Cheyenne...nice name. I'm Logan." He said extending his hand for me to shake. I looked at his hand before shaking it.

"You're cold. Don't go anywhere. I'll be right back." He went over to the camper door and peered inside. My eyes went directly down to his ass. He sure could fill out those jeans. Oh god that was pathetic! He shut the camper's door and tossed me his jacket which I drapped over my shoulders.

"So what are you doing out here all by yourself?" He asked and I looked down at the ground as I puffed my cigarette again.

"You're all alone huh?" I nodded my head. Why can't I bring myself to speak?

"Yeah me too kid." I pulled his leather jacket around me more letting my unnatural body heat warm up the leather as my gaze left the ground and went to the trees. My inner wolf was calling me but I need to hold off on feeding for as long as I can.

"Cheyenne?" I broke from my thoughts as Logan called my name.

"Yeah?"

"I asked if you were hungry?" He repeated but my stomach beat me to the answer. He smirked a bit before going inside the camper again. Logan came back out a few minutes later with some food.

"It's still a little early but who says breakfast had to be at a certain time." He commented while setting the food down on one of his folding chairs before gathering some wood from the disheveled pile.

"So you got any other power besides uncontrollably making things move?" I nodded before going over to the wood he had set up to cook the food with. I knelt down and blew into my hand. A small fireball engulfed my hand and I placed it on the wood igniting the dry substance.

"I can generate it and control it." I said finding my voice enough to speak a whole sentence.

"Looks like your wounds heal quickly as well." My hand went to where the gash had been.

"I can heal quick too." He said setting a skillet on top of a grill grate. He clinched his fist and one of his long metal claws came out of the skin. I noticed the claws when he rescued me from those men last night. He has the same claws as me...he must have met Stryker too. I thought no one who had gotten the Adamantium survived? I examined the single claw he used to open a pack of bacon with. I knew the answer to the question I was about to ask.

"Have you..um had those all your life?"

"I don't think I was born with them." He answered slapping the meat into the hot skillet.

"Does...does it hurt when they..you know." God I knew this already! I mean I have the same shit!

"Everytime but I'm used to it." A silence fell over us as he cooked. My mind went back to Stryker and when he took me from my home. I know the pain Logan had felt. That burning, searing pain that comes with the Adamantium injection. I couldn't wish that pain upon anyone. Not even the family who gave me to that monster.

"Here." I broke from my thoughts as Logan handed me a plate before giving me one of his chairs. I sat down and ate the food hungrily. I've been living off of junk food so getting something as substantial as this was a godsend.

"Logan?" I called to him after finishing half my plate.

"Yeah kid?"

"Why did you help me?" I asked.

"Would you have rather me let them kill you?"

"I guess not...but why take me with you? I mean you could have left me there to fend for myself." I said making a point.

"I don't know. Something inside of me was saying not to leave you there. Hell I think that voice was leading me to you actually."

"Leading you to me? Why?" I enquired.

"Who knows? The voice was just telling me to find the girl. It lead me down tons of winding roads spanning over several days. Sometimes I'd just be driving and the voice would speak up and tell me which direction to head. Then at the bar when I sat down it spoke to me again. Said not to leave you."

"That's strange." I said a bit confused. If a voice was telling him find me then why hasn't a voice talked to me? Something I can't explain I guess. I finished my plate of food and threw the paper plate into the fire.

"Well that was good. Don't stay out here too long. You'll freeze." I nodded my head and as Logan went inside I lit up a cigarette.

Cheyenne...

I looked behind me hearing a voice thinking it was Logan but not a soul was there.

"Hello?" I called timidly.

Don't be afraid...

"Alright whoever is fucking with me better stop." I said seriously as I scanned the area around me.

Logan...is safe...

Stay....

Stay...with him...

He will..protect you...

I shook my head and threw away my cigarette. I must be really tired. I got up from my seat and went back into the camper. It was quiet except for Logan's soft snoring. He sure does go to sleep fast. I laid down on the couch and pulled the blanket back over me before turning onto my side burying my face into the back of the couch. Was my mind playing tricks on me or was it the same voice that spoke to Logan?
♠ ♠ ♠
**Hey fellow readers! Hope you enjoyed the chapter! I'm gonna try and update this story at least 2 times a week and maybe give you an extra chapter on the weekends...but that comes with a small price. I'd like to see some comments. Your words inspire me to update so don't be shy.**