Status: updated fortnightly

Taste

XIII... Fire to the Igniter

Ever since Saturday morning, it became routine to lie to Tam about my whereabouts. And, I know, that sound terrible, but it didn't seem to be that big of a deal.

I was safe. In the dark, in the company of a vampire I'd recently come to call my friend, I knew I wasn't in any danger. I hopefully never had to remove a knife from my back.

I shuddered. Had I reacted wrongly? I mean, Matt and I had only shared a few moments, so it wasn't like he's a whore. But with the way he touched and looked at me, I thought that maybe...

Forget it, my mind snarled.

Arden brushed his fingers lightly against mine, bringing me out of it immediately. When I looked at him, he looked nothing more than impassive. Yet, even when he did so, not even the stars outshone him.

"World of my own." I giggled halfheartedly.

He nodded.

"I'm aware we're not going to be singing and braiding each other's hair..." His eyes landed softly on me, raking. "But I am here if you need an ear."

I let my attention drift. It was weird, you know? Knowing that I was friends with a monster from the shadows, a thing so used to prejudice and discrimination. It wasn't like me to associate with anyone, but least of all something I'd been so sure I hated.

I guess I was still learning as I trotted along. How could people see the real me if I didn't know myself?

No more philosophical bullshit, my mind sighed. And it was right, it would undoubtedly cause no good.

"I'm hoping it won't come to that. Actually, I have a question to ask – please don't be offended."

Stopping together and, with a quick scour around the woods, I became acquainted with the power of the dark. It was here, wrapped around me like a security blanket, with my personal tourniquet waiting nearby.

Even in the black, Arden's eyes glowed. Like sunset, twilight and dawn all at once. They were warm, and inviting, which made me feel even more stupid, somehow.

"I've been looking into the murders that are happening around the country. You know, The Carvings? And I just... I need another brain in this. So far, my ideas are mush and my emotions are getting in the way. Because, I..." I bit my lower lip. "I think it's a vampire."

Thinking he'd groan or claim me insane, I was slightly startled when he just made a noise of approval.

"I think the same."

"Really?"

Walking again, he touched the inside of my arm briefly before he spoke back up. His voice was clear, full of conviction.

"I honestly thought it was just me. I've studied them with my sister, but she believes it's not our business. Too dangerous. Why are you interested in them?"

He had a sister?

I blinked, relaxing from the crunch of leaves under my boots.

"People are dying. Innocent humans; women. And they're being picked off like a fruit tree. I can't just..." I trailed off, realising how loud I was becoming. I had to be more careful, I didn't want another batch of unwelcome visitors.

That was roundabout my only common motive: all the victims had been female. Nothing else so far about them was a cause of relation. To everybody, including myself right now, it just looked like random killings.

But this was a series of murders. There was always a pattern, even if it was one I could not yet see.

One day soon, I will discover the truth, I told myself. Promise.

I looked up at the sky, obscured mostly by the reaching tree boughs. The midnight blue was barely visible behind the shadow hands.

"The sun will be coming up soon." At my comment, Arden looked up too, as if disbelieving. "Maybe we should head back?"

"Give us time. It's not every day I spend my hours with a fierce girl."

Laughing, I pushed him halfheartedly. He stumbled only little, but bent down to gather a collection of leaves, as he approached me again.

Before I knew it, he blew them all over me, resulting in a low-pitched scream from me as I countered back with some of my own. He was laughing manically, cheating as he used his speed to be the one of top at all times.

In between all the chaos and thrills, I forgot about Friday night and Matt. It had disappeared into the back of my mind, left to rot for later.

I forgot about almost everything just to have a few minutes of childish fun with my new friend.

Running away from my problems had never felt this good before.