Status: updated fortnightly

Taste

XVII... Don't Get Any Closer

I woke up at seven the next morning, as scheduled. Staring at my phone for a few moments, I stretched and unlocked it.

Gut instinct proven correct, I'd already received a text from Tam asking me when I'd be coming back up. I typed a short reply to her.

Looking around me, I was once again taken away by the beauty of the room. For one they hadn't touched, the delicate decoration and space was a sight to behold. Especially with the way the light trickled into the room via the rounded window, like a little spotlight.

Rising from the bed, I quickly got changed into yesterday's clothes. Nena had lent me one of her old baggy shirts to sleep in.

So, I padded downstairs, making it to the kitchen in next to no time at all.

Nena was there already, standing by the counters, wearing a cute baby blue fitness outfit.

"Oh, hi. Did you want the kitchen to yourself?"

She shook her head as she drank her blood. I didn't fail to notice her eyes check me out, top to bottom.

"No, I was getting bored." She leaned back, now looking out at the sunshine peeking slightly through the drawn curtains. "You leaving?"

I shrugged. "I have to convince my sister I didn't hook up last night, or drink, or get high. Then, I have school."

This time, she nodded.

In my brief moments I'd shared with Nena, she seemed pretty cool. I guess her stoic and mono-syllabic nature wasn't just aimed at me.

"But not too old to be bent over the knee and spanked."

I was taken aback. Did she really say that? I mean, I'm all for being comfortable in and expressing your sexuality, but there was a time and a place, wasn't there? Besides, she hardly knew me.

I wasn't offended by any means, just startled. I didn't think I'd ever been propositioned in such a crude way before.

Or propositioned at all.

My large blinking eyes were enough for her to burst out laughing, resting a cold hand on my shoulder.

"I'm kidding, Emmy. Seriously, get that stick out of your peachy ass."

Clapping my cheek lightly as she sashayed away, I was left dumbstruck for a few minutes before I regained my sanity. I discarded it to make myself a bacon sandwich.

I was munching on it still when I said my goodbyes. She was by the end of the hall, perched on a tooth-like chair reading a monstrous book.

She saluted. "See you soon, cutie patootie."

Unsure if I liked that nickname, I stepped out. The morning, for being uncharacteristically sunny, was crisp. I stuffed my hands into my jacket pockets as I made my way back home, to more questions, I know.

Thankfully, when I got in, Tam was still asleep. So, in a haste, I went to my room and dressed in my uniform. Applying a layer of foundation to my wounded neck, I was ready by half eight. Perfect.

Bouncing down the stairs, my sister and nephew were in the kitchen, laughing together. Our eyes met when I hit the bottom.

She beckoned me with a finger, but I pretended not to notice.

"Zach, come on," I deliberately grabbed his bag with mine and began walking out. "Unless you want to be late."

Hearing his frantic footsteps, I let my hand dangle by my side as I carried on. He caught up to me, sliding his fingers in between mine as we marched on.

We'd perhaps made it halfway to his school when he piped up about last night.

"Who were you with?"

Zach could keep a secret, I reasoned with myself. Besides, I hated lying to him, he didn't deserve that.

"A new friend. Don't tell Mummy, okay? I'm not ready for it just yet."

With a quick smile and nod, he trotted with me until we got to his building, where I gave him a quick kiss goodbye.

Now, it was time I faced the real beast. With a long exhale, I decided I best make my way in alone.

Typically, I didn't share any classes with Matt, so I figured I'd have to corner him at lunch. Holly, on the other hand, was still my Vampire History partner.

She failed to register my presence as I sat down next to her. A week ago, this wouldn't have fazed me.

But things were different now – I was different.

Mr Ross must've been on my side today, as he mentioned that we'd be working in our pairs for a short assignment on an otherworldly family of our choice.

Gee, how fitting.

I sized Holly up, not for the first time noticing how approachable and beautiful she looked. How could she tell me not to be threatened by her when she so effortlessly looked like this?

My pang of jealousy didn't last though, as she met my gaze and rolled her aquamarine eyes.

"If we must. Well, I'm interested in the Beaumont clan. Their positions of power are a matter of quality research."

I bit my lip. "Holly, what you said about me, I–"

"Vanille seems particularly mysterious. She's got all these dedicated followers who would so totally walk through fire just to be her company for a night."

"Holly, please..."

Sighing, she put her pencil down and connected with me again. Contrary to original thought, she didn't regard me with disdain so much as a burning passion.

And I get it; I hurt her best friend. However, she witnessed the scene in the lunch hall, she knew he came for me first. I was honestly just defending myself, what else was I supposed to do? Sit down and take it? I think not.

"Matt doesn't say it because, well, he's a guy but," Her voice became hard as stone, solid in their belief. "Your argument hurts him more than what happened Friday."

My brows furrowed by their own accord.

"But that was–"

"Totally different circumstances? Yeah, I know, and so does he. This time he's angry at you, for pushing him away when he knows you like having him around. And knowing there's nothing he can do about it."

Well, fuck. She was right about that. It's almost like she read my mind.

I had to apologise to Matt, the word sounded foreign somehow. I couldn't remember the last time I had done so, especially to a boy. Someone I respected.