Status: updated fortnightly

Taste

XIX... One Thousand Forms of Fear

The days breezed on, soon it became Friday, and I’d silently commented that there hadn’t been any reported murders. As far as Arden and I knew, The Carver had taken a break.

Which was great, I guess. Nobody was dying, his chaos was at a halt, perhaps even at a full-time stop. However, one thought crept into my mind too often throughout the week:

What if we hadn’t heard anything because he was planning his next ambush?

I mean, he was a serial killer, they planned everything four steps ahead. That’s why they were able to skip out on all the suspicions, that psychotic part in their brain always working on how to fool everyone. They never gave up; it was more than just sick desire.

It was a necessity.

Finishing school, I’d said my farewells to Matt and Holly, a budding light sparkling when they both wished me a goodnight. Meeting his eyes, I only craved that it meant he’d be a part of it.

I got maybe as far as two corners down by the time a vehicle strolled up next to me. Grinning to myself, I went to comment something sassy, but faltered when I saw who was behind the wheel.

“Hey, Queen, do you need a lift?” Paolo’s blindingly white teeth flashed at me.

I hadn’t seen him since the party, it almost seemed like a lifetime ago. One which I’d been sure he’d forgotten about.

I mean, I hadn’t even heard a lick about him from someone else since, nor cared to listen out for, honestly. I’d practically erased him from memory without meaning to.

“Hey, no, I’m okay, thanks.” I mumbled. I just wanted him to leave.

He didn’t get the hint, since he parked on the pavement and got out. He got the result he wanted, since I stood still at the motion.

“Paolo, seriously, I can walk home.”

He snickered, locking the car as he dug his hands in his pockets, looking to now walk with me. Was this guy for real?

"I get that you’re a badass babe, but I’d prefer you to be safe. Just in case.”

Scoffing, I picked up the pace, turning a corner I knew that he’d think twice about following me down. Of course, it came with its drawbacks, but I always carried something to defend myself with, anyway.

Beginning my descent into the dark, I turned around to see if he’d traced my footsteps. And, right enough, he wasn’t there. Smart, I thought, for a knucklehead.

Looking all around me, I continued on my way as I looked at the falling leaves, the blur of orange and red forming a blood soaked path. In the distant corner, a lone streetlamp glimmered in the promise of guiding me to my destination.

Whipping around again when I thought I’d heard a rustle, I felt a bubbling sensation of trepidation instead of joy when I didn’t see Paolo.

The breath escaped me, however, when I literally crashed into something. Somehow able to retain my footing, I looked to see my blockade.

Which, unluckily for me, happened to be a statuesque body. In the black of the trees, I didn’t see anything besides radiant amber eyes.

“Looks like we have a dumb bitch on our hands.” The voice cackled.

Mouth trembling, I went to reach for my bag, but they were faster. Suddenly, my feet were far from the ground, as a grasp so solid and resolute clutched onto my gullet.

In seconds, my eyes were stinging. It was so powerful, so inhumane I couldn’t fight.

Was this it for me? Was this how quick my light would burn out?

Graciously, I was dropped so hard I felt the pain of the concrete before the joy of breathing oxygen. My knees hit first, popping on initial contact, and I crumbled until I was fully lying down.

I heard the outside voices, the shift of movements and clang of weapons. They were all there, serving as a reminder that I wasn’t as good as I thought I was.

Eyes still shut, I felt around the ground for my bag.

Gasping as something snatched a hold of my wrist, I faced my attacker, expecting some kind of feral creature with blood smeared across its lips.

At first, there was recognition, and then a surge of faith. The vampire was one of those that had known Arden, back in the day when he bit me. The one with piercings on both sides of his mouth.

It widened its mouth, coming down on me, as a last-ditch effort of wanting to stay alive overcame me. My strength out-matched his as I was able to reach for my cross.

Baring it to him, he shrieked a wail that quaked both worlds, cringing slightly, in perfect enough timing as a crack of bone shook his body.

Gazing at me with wide unbelieving eyes, I reciprocated for only the fraction of a second as it exploded into dust, covering me almost completely.

Holy… shit.

I blinked, taking in the ash pile, as a pair of brown shoes squeaked in front of me, reacting to the body it belonged to leaning down for me.

“Emmy, did he bite you?”

I met Paolo’s shining gaze, a question in mine that caused him to smile softly. It was a total opposite from the cruel smirk that I’d witnessed a few times before.

“I guess it’s a good thing I stalked you now.”

After a moment’s silence, I picked myself up, wincing from the pain in my knees. I didn’t believe they’d be up for taking me anywhere.

In the meantime, but, I forgot about their screaming agony. I abandoned all thought when I looked at him again. This time for the first time.

“You staked those vampires.” I didn’t phrase it as a question because I already knew the answer. “How – when did you…?”

Bending down to pick up my bag, he gave what was simply a shrug.

“Basically, as soon as vampires came out the coffin, my old man taught me how to fight. See, my family’s always kind of known.” Presenting me with a curl of lip, it was almost as if to say, ‘what can you do?’.

I nodded, taking in the information. Paolo came from a long family tree of hunters, or theorists, or something along those lines. If I’d known that earlier, then I would’ve befriended him in year eight.

I began moving again, despite the consistent throbbing in my legs. The best I could do was ignore it, lord knows I didn’t want to explain my case to a doctor.

Of course, Paolo noticed.

“My Papa could check that out for you, if you want? He’s not a doctor, but he’s stitched a few cuts in his time.”

Not in the position to argue, I complied and followed him back to his shining car. Although, not without a quick look back on the massacre scene.

There was nothing but ash piles, people would most likely assume they’d gone out in the sun by their own free will.

Which was wrong, admittedly, but it’s not like I was about to parade around the fact I got attacked again. Arden would sure pin me down as a trouble magnet.

Problem was… I didn’t think he'd be completely incorrect.