Status: updated fortnightly

Taste

II... We are Family

Sitting in Vampire History the next day, for perhaps the two-hundredth time in the year, I zoned out. I didn't even know what topic we were discussing.

All I could think about was the events that unfolded last night. I'd been out only minutes past curfew and met my first bloodsucker. Many of my fellow students would brand me lucky, when in reality, I'd been stupid.

What if the OneLifers' hadn't shown up? It was illegal for vamps to kill humans, but what was an immortal life without a little danger? Of course that fiend had planned to drink me.

Glancing briefly at my partner, Holly Oates, I shuddered at the way she leaned forwards in her seat, fingers playing with her bottom lip. Whatever it was my teacher was speaking about, it was interesting to some.

But as I stared beyond her to the open window, the breeze almost in-existent, I was thankful for the day.

The legends and myths that surrounded vampires were all truth. They could not walk in the sun, otherwise they'd burst in to flames, so this way we were safe in school. A blanket could not stop them from engulfing in flames either, so the media had that wrong.

But they weren't a lot of inaccuracies. Crosses, holy water, garlic, a stake to the heart, silver; these all repelled or killed assholes. The only thing they tended to exaggerate was their attitudes or personalities. As far as everyone in the world knew, there was no such thing as a 'good' vampire.

Because they lacked a soul, there was no moral compass in them telling them what was right and what was inappropriate. They just held back from killing humans because we (usually) lived harmoniously. They didn't want to eradicate our race, so a truce was made.

If people donated blood monthly, then it was handed out to the creatures, since human blood was the only kind with substance. You got a few lawbreakers here and there, but they tried to keep it out of the news as much as they could.

Frankly, hearing all that was enough to turn me off of the bloodsuckers, though you got a few worshipers as well. These were few and far between, but there were humans who believed they were the turning of the Rapture. Soon, we'd all become and live for eternity.

I was fairly new to the vampire game and all, but... ew. No. The last thing I wanted was to turn into a power-hungry, lust-filled monster whose number one priority was to be as selfish as possible.

"Emmy, can you tell us the family that possesses the Book of Thoth?"

Whipping my head around, I sat slouched further in my seat as I twirled my pen. Compared to Holly's two pages of notes, I had scribbled a rabbit hole.

"The Song family. They keep it hidden so it can't be stolen by traitors or OneLifers."

Scowling while nodding, my teacher kept going, prattling on more about stupid predators. We'd been learning about them for a year now, surely we'd absorbed every vital piece of information?

Finally, class ended, and I bolted to the lunch call. I despised that class more than I could ever express, so I was first out the door. I didn't need to know about vampire rituals or politics. I honestly couldn't care less about them.

Biting into my ham and cucumber sandwich, my attention followed the other kids as they chatted amicably among each other and traded snacks. I put my feet up on the chair opposite, before sticking in my earbuds and selecting a random System of a Down song.

Today would be harder than the others, for some reason I could just feel it.

Arriving home by the back of three, I hung up my bag and coat. Looking around the structure, I realised, for the first time in a while, I was alone.

The house was quite spacious, so when I kicked off my boots, they didn't hit walls. Strewn across the floor, I dodged them as I approached our open-plan kitchen, the mauve of the walls making me cringe.

Grabbing one of Zach's strawberry milkshakes, I'd popped the straw in when the doorbell pinged.

Strutting towards it, I peeked into the keyhole, growing only slightly irritated when I saw Mr Clarke again. Gee, I knew my sister was good and all, but hadn't he ever heard of this thing called 'a personal life'?

I opened it, sipping my juice.

"She's not home."

But he just smiled. He was normally a very happy person, but for some reason, this just irked me.

"That's a pity, I have five-hundred on me and I know you guys need it."

If I was capable of blushing, I would. Thankfully, I was born with tanned skin, so it was hard to see.

It was no secret that my sister didn't have a traditional job and, since she dropped out of education when she was fifteen, it was forever a struggle for her to find a good paying one. So, she began charging for the one thing she knew she was great at. And I kept my mouth shut, because I was grateful to have a roof over my head.

Besides, she always worked at home, which never took her away from Zach. Considering that he was the reason she strove to better herself, I'd say she was doing a fine job. It may not be moral, or something to be proud of, but it paid the bills and let her save up enough to send him to a decent school and college when he was older.

"You know, I always thought you were the prettier one..." Biting his lower lip, he started to advance.

Making a sound that could be construed as agreement, I grinned, meeting his eyes.

"Mr Clarke, I don't do flattery. Besides," Taking another gulp of milkshake, I removed the straw, sucking the remainders from the prick. "I always thought you were a dick."

Squeezing the carton, I aimed it at his face. The pink liquid drenched him fast and he was unable to close his eyes before the first splash.

Coughing and spluttering, he backed off, just in time for me to shut the door. As a precaution, I slid on the chain – people could be crazy, sometimes.

Trotting to the kitchen, I watched him by the window growl and splutter insults, before he finally turned to leave. No doubt Tam would get an earful when he next saw her. As long as that was all she'd get, I'd apologise to her.

About ten minutes later, the door rattled. I looked out and saw Zach, his little frail frame clutching on his heavy bag.

Unlocking the door, I greeted him with a warm hug. His unruly hair tickled my stomach.

Following me to the kitchen, the little squirt took out his homework as I fixed him a peanut butter sandwich. We didn't talk much, we never really had to, but the moment that I saw his tongue peeking out between his lips, I'd forgotten all about why I was mad.

After he was done with both, I allowed him to sit as close to the television as he wished. In the meantime, I had to call Tam. Know where she was as well as inform her of Mr Clarke.

"Hey. I won't be long, I'm just at the farmer's market, getting us some juicy steaks." She sounded excited, it's a shame I had to ruin that.

"Mr Clarke came on to me and I scooshed him with some milkshake," Sticking my tongue out at Zach as he turned round, I mumbled the rest. "I'm sorry, because I know he was a high-paying customer–"

Her laugh came as a surprise.

"Silly sister, you did the right thing. Your safety comes first, even in a job like this. Well, I have got to make one more stop before I arrive, so I'll see you soon."

Saying goodbye, I wiped at the crack on my screen. It hadn't been there yesterday. At least, not at first.

Shaking my head free of such chaotic thoughts, I joined my nephew by the TV. He was watching an old Fairly Odd Parents episode, legs up by his chest and embracing them close.

Tam was right. The most important thing in our lives was being able to sit down and enjoy the company you were in. It wasn't the first time I was reminded of how amazing my family was. None of us were perfect, but I wouldn't dare ask for anything else.

And, hey, Zach was like the most adorable nephew an idiot like me could've received. I guess we were lucky he turned out nothing like his mess of a dad.

Catching my eye again, he blinked those long sooty lashes. I wondered if he could feel them on his skin when he did.

"Emmy?"

I smiled, to which he didn't reciprocate.

"Did you really steal–"

"I'll replace your milkshake, don't worry. If it makes you feel any better, it was a great weapon." Winking, I bubbled on the inside when he chuckled.

Zach liked to express that he wasn't a little kid anymore, but when it came to his snacks, there could be no limitations to his behaviour.

Once the episode finished, the door opened. Tilting my head back, I caught sight of my sister, carrying a plastic bag packed to the brim with meat. I let her go to the kitchen, as Zach openly laughed at the screen.

When she was done unpacking, she plopped down beside me and held in her hands a red velvet cupcake. She turned up the volume of the television, but my nephew barely noticed because he was in a whole other world, anyway.

"Hey, Mr Clarke won't be coming around here again, by the way." She whispered, touching her shoulder to mine.

I found her, putting a candle in the middle and lighting it. Whatever did she mean?

She shrugged.

"Let's just say his wife isn't going to be too happy about the paint on his car saying how much of a douche he is." When I just continued to stare, the soft turn of her lips made my heart clench further. "Nobody speaks to my sister like that."

Before I could make verbal use of my thoughts, she pushed the cake closer to me, teeth shining.

"Happy birthday, sis."

Meeting her eyes, I resisted smiling before I closed my eyes and shaped my mouth appropriately. With a singular wish in my head, I blew.