Status: updated fortnightly

Taste

IV... Blood is Brains, Children

This was not how I originally planned to spend my eighteenth birthday.

Tam had no idea. She hadn't text me yet, so I assumed Darren was keeping her busy still. And Zach was already sleeping, so no need to worry there.

But here I was, patrolling the park with a handsome creature I'd come to know was called Arden. Not a traditional name, but nothing laughable either.

Although, truth be told, I was pretty sure I'd heard it before. Perhaps he belonged to a clan.

To avoid isolation and biting back on their temptation to feast on humans, most vampires had a clan. A collection of them that consisted of class, needs or just simply because they didn't want to go their immortal lives alone. Anyone outside a clan was generally unpleasant, since they weren't up to date with laws and such.

I wanted to ask, but then figured that would likely sound as if I was prying.

I looked at the foliage surrounding us, the bed of leaves I kicked up and danced under... I hadn't been outside after eight since they came out of the coffin.

Arden's eyes met mine, glowing red in the faint street lamps.

"I thought I had you figured out, but you're amazing me now." He drawled, picking up one of the leaves and planting it in my hair.

Don't overthink it, I scolded myself, he's probably just being friendly.

"I bet you thought I was a stuck up tight-ass with no sense of fun." When his eyes widened, I pocketed my hands and lowered mine. "I know what people think of me. Just because I don't talk to them doesn't mean I'm not listening."

His smile intensified. I don't think I've ever seen a look so wonderful before. I know I shouldn't have stared, but it was too hard to let go.

Hearing the animals slumber or climb into their nests, I'd missed out on this for a full year. I'd missed out on those that were nocturnal, never knowing if vampires chased them for the thrill, or if they were smart enough to elude them.

Arden stayed silent. I guess that was our thing. We never spoke much – probably due to our own secret fantasies.

"So, you would choose the company of a sick, dangerous predator over getting acquainted with a fellow scholar?" He jumped in front of me, prompting me to step back.

I didn't know what it was that's so wrong with me. I wasn't ashamed of who I was, I determined my own outcome. I told myself I wasn't going to be like everyone else. That I'd never accept someone so deceitful, so wrecking like a bloodsucker into my life.

But... here I was. Walking, conversing, sharing, with one of them. It wasn't much, but it was more than what I offered people who had a pulse.

Mulling it over wasn't helping, so I quickened my pace. There was another bed of leaves in my path; I whacked it and it hit Arden straight in the face.

"Hey, I didn't mean..."

I whirled around. "If I had it my way, you wouldn't even be here, so don't go thinking that you're special in any way, because you're not. Okay? You're just another stupid creature that I–"

I would've finished my sentence, had he not advanced upon me and clamped a dead, cold hand over my mouth. At first, I was too stunned to do anything, but then I began fighting him, to no avail.

So, this was it, then. I died breaking curfew. Not from recklessly inviting one into my home or being cornered in an alley. From nothing but my own idiocy.

Well done, Emmy. Seriously.

I was shrieking into his hand by the time I heard other voices approaching. They laughed and shook the earth; shook me to the core.

Whipping me around and brushing my hair behind my shoulder, producing a new and pulsating neck for him to ravage, Arden didn't move until the voices could be attached to faces.

There were three. All wearing black leather, so they could blend into the dark, the translucent nature of their skin denying them it.

One of them was a girl, whose punk-rock style was clearly inspired by the late 1970's. She licked her glossy top lip as they advanced towards us.

"All right, Arden! Joining the big guys now, are you? Better late than never." One of the guys said. He was tall and lanky, with a silver lip piercing.

I didn't dare connect eyes with any of them, like I could. I didn't want the last thing I see to be faces of the dead.

Fuck this, I thought. I opened my mouth as wide as I could and collected Arden's flesh between my teeth. The muscles in his palm ground in my mouth... but he didn't make a bloody peep.

"She smells lovely. I could just..."

The growl that rumbled out from the chest pressed against my back was ferocious.

The other guy laughed it off.

"I was just kidding! Have the dumb bitch all you want. We were just passing through, anyway. See you later."

Both guys stomped away, exchanging conversation about onion blossoms, leaving just the girl. Her attention was focused on us both, I could feel it, but by no means whatsoever would I return it.

Either fine with dissatisfaction or already tired with this, she sniffed before she galloped after her buddies. I could hear their tones dulling, as I let a tear fall down my immobile face.

Arden's mouth was by my ear, creeping down my clothes.

"They weren't wrong, you do smell divine. I know that I... I know..."

Removing his hand slowly from my mouth, I could see my breath in the crisp air. Like a steaming kettle, I was expelling more than I was taking in.

A shiver of dread coursed its way through me as I stopped struggling. Maybe if there was no fight, he'd give in and let me go. He'd be bored.

But he didn't. Instead, his lips found the crook of my neck, impossible breath kissing my rising flesh.

"I-I eat garlic. How–"

"It's tolerable if you're used to it, which I am. Please, don't move. I want to make this as painless as possible."

I squeezed my eyes shut. Hurry up and get it over with, then. This was horrible already.

"I'm sorry."

And he bit into me, as easy as breaking the skin of an apple. There was a crunch and I could feel his fangs latching on to prominent veins, giving easier access to the blood flow. There was pain, a lot more than what movies and current television shows let on. The searing agony wasn't replaced with anything more exciting, more sensual. It was just one consistent aching pain that never ceased.

My scream was loud. Probably enough decibels to wake people living on the closest street. However, like the intelligent humans they were, they weren't going to come to my aid, no matter how much I cried.

I became weak, my knees were buckling, but his hold on me kept me upright. He guzzled greedily, making me woozier by the second. Everything was fading, quicker than I'd imagined. Everything bled together. The noises around us dissipated, my grasp on his jacket got weaker... until everything was sinking. All at once.

*

I didn't expect my eyes to flutter back open. When they did, I caught onto the sight of the grayest ceiling, complete with cracks and a light shade.

I propped myself up on my elbows, able to concentrate on my room fast. Everything was here. My desk and laptop, bookshelves, I could even see my reflection from the corner of my eye.

I looked normal. Hell, even my mobile was by my desk. Getting up and going through it, I saw that I'd received no texts from Tam earlier tonight. She'd be asleep now as well, so it's not like I could ask, either.

I neared the mirror. I still had my jacket on, as I slipped it off, I released a low hiss of discomfort.

Pulling at my collar, I saw what couldn't be mistaken. At first, seeing my room, I'd almost been certain it was all a dream. The burned vamp that walked with me to the park, the not-so-friendly ones that stumbled upon us... the betrayal of his control over me.

Because, screaming crimson and black, there were two puncture marks on my jugular.

The bastard bit me.