Status: updated fortnightly

Taste

V... Brink

I footered with my scarf for the millionth time. In the mirror, I looked as I normally did. School uniform and chunky heels, nothing seemed amiss. So why did I feel like everyone would see through me?

Bites became permanent scars, so I had no idea how I was going to get away with this for the rest of my life.

I cursed Arden again, disgusted by how easily he'd claimed me. I'd been frozen in fear, terrified of the likely outcome... unresponsive to all inner thoughts telling me to karate chop him to the face.

Tam's call for me to join them at breakfast rang loud. I even heard Zach giggle, little did he know this was no laughing matter.

Grabbing my bag and taking a last look, I walked carefully down the stairs, meeting them at the kitchen island. I grabbed the stool next to my nephew and a slice of toast, careful to make sure that my hair fell in front of my face.

"Seriously, one of these days you're going to have to wake yourself up. Get a marching band or something." My sister winked as she sipped her tea.

I just ate my toast.

Walking to school with Zach, my mind continued to drift back to events of last night. It was surreal, and stupid. I'd let my guard down and it almost cost me my life.

For a full year, I'd been studying vampires, their habits and what to expect if attacked. Yet, both times I came across one, I'd done practically nothing to cement my safety. I only ever got out because I was lucky.

"Do you think they'll let you wear your scarf in class?" Zach piped up, running to a nearby puddle and splashing.

I grimaced. "What are you talking about?"

"Your bite. I don't think you can hide it."

Taking a swift look around to make sure nobody heard, I grabbed him and took him aside. Under his black mop, his blue eyes shined, curious rather than scolding.

Like I'd said previously, my nephew liked to make out he was no longer a child – and it was times like these that I believed him.

For being aged just seven, we already knew he was smarter than most kids, which is why Tam was so eager to save up for him. Although we were the adults, he could sometimes outsmart even us.

"Sweetie, you know you can't go around saying that. I may have had an..." I pursed my lips, not certain how to phrase it. "Encounter, but a vampire biting a human is illegal, so don't throw those words around. Do you understand?"

Nodding, he lowered his voice to a whisper.

"Who did it?"

"I... don't know." I lied, ruffling his head as I then grabbed his hand and began walking faster to the school. In any case, he knew the discussion was over.

Hell knows why I felt like I needed to lie, but I just knew I didn't want anyone else finding out. Zach wasn't a little brat, he knew a secret, but I didn't want to risk eavesdropping ears.

Kissing him goodbye at his school gates, I ventured the rest of the way to mine. It would be my first day pretending. It wasn't usual that I spoke to anyone, but even if they approached me today, I knew they'd be able to see right through my facade.

Sitting once again in Vampire History with Holly Oates, it was only typical that we were presented with a role-playing assessment. She bit her lip with her fang-like teeth and met her deep-set brown eyes with mine.

Contrary to what media also had you believe, people like Holly were popular. Sweet, smart, yet still beautiful, she was respected. Kids here were popular because students liked them, not just because they had money.

She twirled her dyed abyss of a hair around her index finger.

"Emmy, do you...?" I just stared at her and she quivered. A moment later, she straightened back up and looked me dead in the eye. "Do you want to be the victim or...?"

Another thing about Holly: she was shier than a mouse, but could sting like a viper.

And, apparently, I loved that.

I took on the victim, since I could see she was somewhat wary. I honestly had no idea what it was about me that people didn't like... but it's not like I helped the situation. My aversion to human contact could be rivalled with a vampire to the sun.

Watching Holly get into character was fascinating. She knew exactly what to do, what facial expressions worked in her favour. If I didn't know any better, I'd assume she personally had it out for me.

Her eyes shifted to my neck, which I instinctively covered again with my hair.

No one could ever know, my mind screamed.

I didn't know what would happen to me, but Arden could be tracked down and publicly slaughtered. I hated vampires, always have, but I never wanted to exterminate them for solely being what they are. If there was reason to why he bit me, I promise I wouldn't go all Nazi on his ass.

"Emmy?"

Bringing my head to the front, I was shocked to find the man in question standing in front of me. His burns were healing, his eyes were trained, but most of all... his mouth was smeared.

He licked his lips, devouring the taste of me before he advanced further.

And I did the thing we were taught to do if we ever found ourselves in such a predicament:

I punched his face.

The crack of bone could have shattered my own knuckles, but instead it just resulted in a shooting pain up through my arm. Yet, although I touched him briefly, it felt like his flesh was warm.

"Miss Willis! The practical is defence, not attack." Mr Rees came scrambling towards us, reaching down for the sprawled body on the linoleum floor.

"No, wait–" I went to stop him, but the slowly rising body of Holly caught my eye. She held onto her bloody nose as she tried to prevent it from dripping onto her cute lime shirt. "No. I didn't do that."

My teacher scowled at me with the same amount of venom as the rest of my classmates, including Holly.

"We all saw it. Detention, we'll call your sister so she can pick you up after."

I tried going after them, clutching onto Holly's pulsating skin.

"Holly, you know I didn't mean..." But I trailed off, because the look she gave me was enough to render anyone speechless. I'd never seen her glare at anyone with such contempt before, she was always so nice.

Shrugging me off, I watched as they left for the nurses' station, leaving me alone with twenty other students that wanted to eat me alive.

Perhaps it was times like these that I understood their abhorrence, but right now, the only hate that gushed through me was for the vampire.

Putting my head into my hands, I secretly thought about ways I'd make him pay.