If It Gave Us Time

19: I Can’t Believe You’re Still Out Here

Quietly cursing to herself, Isla watched the elevator climb slowly towards her floor, a slight feeling of frustration twitching in the pit of her stomach. she knew that she was running behind, with her last meeting of the day having overrun by nearly half an hour, she knew that there was a good chance that she was going to be late for the date that she and Gerard had arranged to have, and she was annoyed by it, even if she was keen to ensure that all of the plans that she and the couple she had been meeting with were perfect. She was still a little upset that there was a chance that she could be late for something she had been waiting for.

It hadn’t been long, after she and Gerard had made the decision to give things between them a shot, they’d been relatively quick to make some vague plans for their first date, and whilst Isla was nervous about it, most of her was excited, a little amazed that, after so many years apart, they were finally going to go on a date that, to her at least, was long overdue.

Watching the floor numbers tick by, she irritably tapped her foot before the elevator stopped, allowing her to quickly make her way out of it and up the hall towards her apartment. Jogging slightly, she rifled through her bag, looking for her front door key before she spotted someone out of the corner of her eye, something which caused her to look up, frowning slightly as she watched Luna pull their front door closed. “Where are you going?” she spluttered before she wrinkled her nose, noting that it had come out a little ruder than she had thought it would.

Luna, who’d been pulling the door closed, smirked a little to herself before she turned, looking up at Isla. “I’ve got plans” she replied with a shrug.

“You do?” Isla squeaked “I mean, that’s not that surprising, you often have plans, but I just...I thought you’d stick around and help me get ready. I mean, I know it’s just Gerard but...” she trailed off, her cheeks flushing a soft shade of pink.

Luna allowed another smirk to creep over her features, not missing the nervousness that was obvious in Isla’s voice, before she gently slipped her door key out of her pocket. “I would stick around” she mused as she slipped the key into the lock “But honestly? I don’t think there’s too much need for it” she added as she pushed the door in, grinning at something inside of the apartment.

Isla frowned in confusion before she shuffled towards her friend, her eyes widening a little as she looked into the apartment, her eyes settling on Gerard who was wandering around the living room, setting up glasses and plates on the coffee table. “What is he...?”

“He showed up a couple of hours ago” Luna interrupted “He asked me if you two could have the apartment to yourselves for a few hours. Apparently, he thought you might get a little too nervous if you went out, so he thought he could do something here. He’s making dinner, he’s bought some kind of games console with him, and if you don’t want to do that, he’s got a whole load of DVDs. I mean, I don’t know how you found him, but Isla, he’s adorable” she gushed with a wide smile.

It had caught her off guard, the knock at the front door a couple of hours previous had come as a surprise to her, but when Gerard had explained what he had planned, she had been quick to offer him her help, a little amazed by how seriously he appeared to be taking making plans for his first date with Isla. He had been nervous, when he’d asked for the apartment, he’d stumbled over the words a little, and it had made Luna smile, reassured by his uncertainness that the date meant as much to him as it did to Isla who’d barely been able to say the words without stumbling over them all week.

Isla shook her head, trying, and failing, to hide the little smile which had pulled the corner of her lips upwards. “He just showed up?” she asked.

Luna just grinned, nodding.

Isla stood in the doorway for a couple of seconds, watching Gerard, before she turned towards Luna, offering her a slightly bashful smile. “I should go in, shouldn’t I?” she asked.

“I can’t believe you’re still out here” Luna teased.

“And I look...”

“You look gorgeous” Luna insisted “I mean, a little tired and your hair’s a little messy, but honestly? I don’t think he’d notice it. He seems pretty smitten” she added impishly.

Isla felt her cheeks warm before she shook her head, something which caused Luna to lift her hand, gently pushing Isla towards the door. “Get in there” she encouraged “And, Isla?” she pressed.

Isla looked at her over her shoulder. “Yeah?” she asked.

“I know it’s early days, but I like him for you” Luna quipped before she gave Isla’s shoulder another push, causing her to step into the apartment before she pulled the door closed behind her.

Isla blinked a couple of times, surprised by the push, before she shook her head, her eyes settling on Gerard who’d stepped into the doorway, a lazy smile on his face. “Hola” he chirped.

Isla smiled up at him shyly, her fingers carefully nudging her glasses back up her nose. “Hola” she mused “I...uh...I thought we’d be...”

“We can do” Gerard interrupted with a little shrug “But I thought you’d like this more. I know that it’s a first date, but I thought something more relaxed, something we’re used to doing together, would make you a little more comfortable. I didn’t really want this to become an evening of you giggling nervously or talking too much before you ran off” he added, rolling his eyes lightheartedly.

Isla rolled her eyes slightly, but couldn’t stop herself from letting out a shy laugh, something which made Gerard smile down at her shyly before he took a hold of her hand. Knotting their fingers together, he carefully led her into the living room before he stopped beside the couch, offering her a seat. “I’ve got to check on dinner” he mused “Did you want a glass of wine or something?” he asked, his voice slightly uncertain.

Isla, who’d been quietly surveying the living room, smiled a little, not missing his nervousness, before she turned back to look at him. Shaking her head a little to herself, she carefully reached up, her hand settling at the back of his neck before she tugged him down towards her, pressing a soft kiss against his lips. Gerard stiffened slightly in surprise, something which made Isla giggle quietly as she pulled away, amused by the slightly surprised expression that had spread across his face. “What?” she teased “You’re allowed to kiss me, but I am not allowed to kiss you?” she added.

Gerard shook his head, smiling a slightly more relaxed smile. “You can kiss me whenever you want to, Isla” he replied.

Isla was quiet for a moment, admiring how much more relaxed he looked, before she gently nudged his side. “You still offering that glass of wine?” she asked.

Gerard laughed before he nodded. “Absolutely” he enthused “I’ll grab that, check on dinner, and then I will come back and kick your ass at video games” he announced boyishly before he stepped out of the room.

Isla watched him walk away before she took a seat on the couch, grinning gently to herself. She still felt nervous, despite the fact that it was her apartment and Gerard, the idea that it was a date still played on her mind, creating butterflies in her stomach, but she had a good feeling about it. There was a way about him, something comforting and reassuring, and whilst she was sure that there would be inevitable flashes of awkwardness, she was confident that it would be good. She was confident that they could be something good if they put their minds to it.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234 and FootieJo for the comments :)