If It Gave Us Time

22: I’ve Already Seen All Of The Embarrassing Pictures

“Are you sure that we don’t need to stop to pick something up for your parents?” Gerard asked as he turned his head slightly, sparing a brief glance towards Isla who sat in the passenger seat beside him, quietly messing with her phone as to avoid starting a conversation with him. She had been quiet, after he’d arrived to pick her up in time for dinner at her parents’ home, she had barely uttered two words to him, and whilst it irked Gerard a little, he didn’t want to push it, knowing that her being quiet, much like her talking too much, was merely sign of her being nervous and uncomfortable.

Isla, who’d been aimlessly scrolling through her phone, stopped for a second before she shook her head, quickly resuming her messing with her phone. “I never normally bring anything” she noted simply.

Gerard nodded his head slowly, allowing a couple of seconds of silence to pass between them, before he let out a small sigh. “You know that this isn’t my fault, right?” he pressed “I mean, I did try and get out of it, but you know how your mother is. I didn’t try and get myself invited, Lala” he added, his voice more than a little frustrated.

Isla let out a quiet sigh before she shifted in her seat, stuffing her phone into the pocket of her jeans. “I know it’s not your fault” she mused “And I am sorry for being so quiet, I just...she always does this. It’s like she has a sense for when I start...seeing someone new, and then she insists that they meet them almost immediately, almost always scaring them off. I’ve bought maybe four or five guys home, and only two of them have wanted to see me again afterwards” she added, shaking her head ruefully.

Gerard smirked, offering her a look out of the corner of his eye. “You’re worried about them scaring me off?” he quipped teasingly.

Isla rolled her eyes. “Gerard...”

“You’re doing it again” Gerard interrupted.

Isla furrowed her forehead. “I’m doing what again?” she asked.

“Talking to me like I am someone else” Gerard clarified “Isla, I know your parents. I know that your mother loves to hear the sound of her own voice, I know that her favourite pastime is interfering in your and Rodrigo’s love life. You think I don’t remember the talk she gave to me when she thought we were sleeping together?” he added, his voice warm and teasing.

Isla wrinkled her nose, a soft blush spreading over her cheeks. “I’ve already said sorry for that” she mumbled.

Gerard laughed. “You did” he confirmed “But that’s not the point that I am trying to make. What I am trying to tell you is that, if I can sit through your mother talking to me about that, I can probably make it through one dinner without changing my mind about you. I mean, it’s not like there’s a lot they can tell me that I don’t already know, and I’ve already seen all of the embarrassing baby pictures” he teased, flashing her a small smirk as he pulled the car to a stop.

Isla rolled her eyes, but couldn’t keep the smile off of her face, something which caused Gerard to lean across, pressing a brief kiss against her cheek. “It’ll be fine” he insisted before he pushed his door open, climbing out of the car.

Isla hesitated for a second before she followed suit, stepping out of the car before she made her way towards the front door. Taking in a deep breath, she moved to pull the key that her mother had given to her out of her pocket before she levelled it with the lock, hesitating for a second before she slid it in.

Gerard watched her pause before he stepped up behind her, his hands gently settling on her waist. “You know it’s pretty cold out here, right?” he mumbled teasingly into her ear.

Isla jumped slightly before she turned, offering him a quick glare over her shoulder before she pushed the front door open.

“Baby, you made it” Eva grinned as she rushed into the hall, quickly wrapping Isla up in a tight hug.

Isla let out a small sound in surprise before she hugged her mother back gently.

Eva squeezed her tightly before she stepped back, greeting Gerard with a wide smile. “And Gerard too” she fussed, greeting the tall defender with a kiss on the cheek.

“You didn’t exactly leave him much of a choice, Ma” Isla quipped, offering her mother a pointed look.

Eva smiled. “How could I resist inviting him, Isla?” she chirped “I mean, now that you two are...”

“Madre” Isla interrupted, her cheeks flushing a soft shade of pink.

Gerard let out a soft laugh, amused by the pink on Isla’s cheeks, before he turned his attention towards Eva. “Thanks for the invitation” he mused politely.

“No problem” Eva mused “Now, come on through. Cara and the boys came with Rodrigo, and they’re all very excited to meet Isla’s new...her ‘friend’” she corrected with a teasing grin towards Isla who quickly rolled her eyes.

Gerard tried his hardest not to laugh at how embarrassed Isla looked but failed, letting out a small laugh as he stepped past her, following her mother through towards the living room. Pausing outside of the room, he self-consciously smoothed out the material of the shirt that he wore before he stepped inside, his stomach twitching a little as the eyes of Isla’s father, brother, and sister-in-law all came to settle on him.

“Gerard?” Rodrigo squeaked.

Gerard smiled bashfully. “It’s good to see you, Rodrigo” he mused.

Rodrigo’s face lit up with a grin before he quickly shuffled to his feet, his hand extended ahead of himself. “It’s been too long, Piqué” he grinned, pulling the defender into a hug.

Gerard chuckled. “It’s not like you ever called” he teased, rolling his eyes exaggeratedly.

Rodrigo laughed. “You know how it is” he played along.

Gerard smiled. “You look great” he quipped “Clearly, marriage and fatherhood agree with you” he added, gesturing towards Cara who sat a little away from them, fussing over the younger of the two little boys who were playing happily across the room.

Rodrigo followed his gesture, grinning at the sight of his wife and children, before he cleared his throat. “Cara” he mused “Why don’t you come over and say hola? This is Gerard” he enthused, gesturing towards the defender.

“Gerard” Cara repeated “As in ‘The Gerard’? The boy that Isla was so...”

“That’s him” Isla interrupted quickly, offering her sister-in-law a pointed look.

Cara blinked a couple of times, surprised by the interruption, before she quirked a slightly amused smile, moving to shake Gerard’s hand. “It’s nice to meet you” she enthused “Rodrigo’s told me a lot about you” she added.

“I hope he managed to throw in some good things” Gerard teased warmly.

“Isla was the one for good things” Cara mused “Rodrigo’s stories were often more embarrassing” she joked.

“That doesn’t sound unlike him” Gerard replied.

Cara flashed him another pleasant smile before she stepped away, allowing Daniel, Isla’s father, to step ahead of Gerard, his eyes looking the defender up and down curiously. “I really thought I’d seen the back of you, you know” he quipped, the tone of his voice hard to place.

Gerard smiled uncertainly. “It’s good to see you again, Mr Vasquez” he mused.

Daniel’s lips twitched into a small smile before he turned his head, sparing a brief look towards Isla who was stood a little away from Gerard, watching the two of them uncertainly. “This is the ‘friend’ your mother mentioned?” he asked.

Isla spluttered, pushing her glasses up her nose. “I don’t know what madre mentioned, but...”

Daniel shook his head, cutting her off. “She said you were bringing a ‘friend’ home for dinner. Is this him or not?” he pressed.

Isla nodded. “It’s him” she confirmed quietly.

Daniel nodded his head slowly before turned back towards Gerard, looking him up and down for a few seconds before he allowed himself to smile, albeit a little uncertainly. “Come on through, then” he quipped “I’m sure you remember how good a cook Eva is” he joked awkwardly.

Gerard’s forehead furrowed slightly, not missing how nervous Daniel seemed around him, before he nodded, smiling politely. “I do” he quipped.

Daniel nodded before he stepped out of the room, something which allowed Isla to step up towards Gerard side, her fingers lightly brushing his without her taking a hold of his hand properly. “You still think it’s going to be fine?” she quipped.

Gerard nodded and turned to look down at her, offering her a smile. “How bad could it be?” he asked.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to FootieJo for the comment :)