If It Gave Us Time

34: You Seem More Confident Of That Now

Allowing a soft yawn to fall out of his mouth, Gerard quietly padded towards the kitchen, his fingers scratching his jawline sleepily. He hadn’t been surprised, when he had started to stir a little while previous, he hadn’t been at all surprised to find that Isla wasn’t still asleep next to him, but he did want to find her as soon as possible, keen to make the most of the privacy that their staying at his home had afforded to the two of them. It was rare, when it came to the two of them spending the night together, Isla tended to prefer that they did it where she was living, but it meant that the two of them were very rarely completely alone, something Gerard was keen to make the most of, even if he knew that it was only a matter of time before Isla had to leave. He wanted to enjoy a morning that wasn’t likely to be disturb by Isla’s roommate or parents.

Trying to wake himself up slightly, he quietly stepped into the kitchen before he stopped in his tracks, his blue eyes settling on Isla who was stood beside kitchen counter, quietly staring out of kitchen window. Blinking a couple of times, he admired the t-shirt of his that she wore and the way that a few messy strands of her blonde hair poked out of her bun and tickled the back of her neck before he stepped towards her, pressing a gentle kiss against her warm skin.

Isla, who’d been quietly staring into spare, flinched slightly, not having heard him step into the room, but didn’t pull away, instead allowing a lazy smile to spread over her face. “You can be quiet” she teased softly.

Gerard, who’d moved to settle his arms around her waist, smirked against her skin before he pulled back ever so slightly, shaking his head gently. “What are you doing up?” he asked quietly “I mean, I know you’re probably going to have to get back, but not for a while yet, right?” he added, leaning forwards to press another kiss against the back of her neck.

Isla closed her eyes, relishing the feather light touch against the back of her neck, before she gently shrugged her shoulders. “I’ve got a little time” she mused “But you’re going to have to give me a ride back to my parents place. Luna was my ride last night” she explained.

“I’m sure that I can manage that” Gerard mused as he gently reached a hand up, carefully brushing some loose hair behind her ear before he ducked forwards, kissing the top of her ear tenderly.

Isla smiled a little at the contact, allowing a few beats of silence to pass between the two of them before Gerard leant up slightly, pressing a kiss against the top of her head. “This looks good on you” he quipped, gently tugging at the bottom of the t-shirt she wore.

Isla shook her head, trying, and failing, to hide her blushing cheeks. “You don’t mind me borrowing it?” she asked.

Gerard shook his head. “How could I mind?” he asked “I mean, you look gorgeous in it. How can I object to that?” he added.

Isla let out a breathy laugh, her elbow gently nudging his ribs. “You’re such a dork, you know that?” she mumbled.

Gerard laughed, not missing the blush on her cheeks, before he leant around, pressing a soft kiss against the reddened skin. “You love that about me” he commented “In fact, you just love me” he added quietly.

Isla was quiet for a second, allowing the words to hang around them, before she gently turned around in his arms, hers gently wrapping around his neck. “You love me too” she pointed out.

Gerard grinned down at her. “You’re damn right I do” he quipped.

Isla laughed gently. “You seem a lot more confident of that now” she quipped “I mean, when you said it the other night...” she trailed off as Gerard grimaced slightly.

Shaking his head, he took a couple of seconds to think about what he wanted to say, before he breathed out a soft sigh. “I didn’t want to scare you” he admitted quietly “I mean, I’ve told you how I felt about you when we were younger, but that doesn’t change the fact that we’ve only been in this relationship for a few weeks, and I didn’t want to scare you by admitting that I’ve already fallen for you again” he added.

“So you thought you’d just avoid me?” Isla prodded tentatively.

Gerard smiled sheepishly. “I took a move out of your playbook” he quipped.

Isla’s cheeks flushed at his comment before she shook her head. “I thought you didn’t mean it” she admitted after a few moments of quiet “I mean, you said it and took it back so quickly, I just assumed...” she trailed off, letting out a slightly uncertain laugh.

Gerard searched her expression for a few seconds before he dipped forwards, lightly bushing his lips against hers. “I’m sorry” he mumbled between light kisses.

Isla shook her head gently. “It’s something we’re both going to have to work on” she mused “I mean, if we both run off at the first sign of trouble, we’re never going to get anywhere” she added, her fingers gently messing with the hair at the back of his neck.

“We’ll get better at it” Gerard replied confidently “We’re still getting things figured out. It’s just going to take us a little time” he added.

Isla smiled a little at the confidence in his voice before she pushed herself up onto her toes, pressing another soft kiss against his lips. “I’m going to get dressed” she mumbled between light and quick kisses “Can you give me a lift home?” she asked.

Gerard nodded. “Of course” he mused “Just as long as...” his joke was cut off by the sound of the front doorbell, something which caused him to let out a small groan.

Isla giggled at the annoyed sound. “You’ll get me to yourself eventually, Piqué” she chirped.

Gerard mumbled a comment beneath his breath, quipping something doubting it, something which made Isla laugh once more before she leant up, kissing his cheek gently. “Come on” she mused “I’m heading towards the stairs anyway. You should see who it is at the very least” she added as she took a hold of his hand, guiding him through the house towards the hallway.

Gerard followed her reluctantly before he dropped her hand, moving to pull the front door open to his mother who stood on the other side, a sight which caused him to let out a muted groan. “We have breakfast plans” he announced with a grimace, something which made Isla, who’d stopped halfway up the stairs, giggle quietly.

Montserrat nodded. “We do” she confirmed “You’d forgotten?” she asked.

Gerard, who’d been glaring up at Isla, shook his head before he turned back to his mother. “It might have slipped my mind” he admitted “But we’ve still got time to go, it just means that Lala will have to...”

“I’ll call a taxi” Isla finished for him “I’ve still got some time before I need to be anywhere. You don’t mind me jumping into the shower before I go, do you?” she asked.

Gerard shook his head. “Of course not” he replied “Make yourself at home” he added.

Isla smiled down at him before she lifted her hand, waving it shyly at his mother who stood over his shoulder, watching the two of them with intrigue. “It was good to see you, Montserrat” she mused before she jogged up the stairs.

Gerard watched her up the stairs, a goofy smile lighting up his features, before he turned to his mother, not missing the amused grin which lit up her face. “What?” he mumbled.

Montserrat held up her hands innocently. “Nothing” she mused with a laugh “Isla’s only got more beautiful as she grown up, hasn’t she?” she pressed with a knowing smile.

Gerard rolled his eyes, but didn’t refute the comment, something which made Montserrat pat his shoulder gently. “Come on” she mused “I can fuss about the two of you over breakfast” she added, causing him to close his eyes as she laughed.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to FootieJo for the comment :)