If It Gave Us Time

38: Are You Trying To Talk Me Out Of It?

“You’re sure that your mama’s not going to miss you too much?” Gerard teased as he pulled the car to a stop outside his house, his eyes peeking at Isla who was curled up in the passenger seat, her hands messing with the ends of the scarf that she wore. It was a little late, after the team’s win, they’d headed out to dinner with a few of his teammates, and whilst Isla had still appeared nervous from time to time throughout the evening, he had to admit that he was pleased with how it had gone. She had been talkative, despite a few uneasy glances towards him, she had been eager to join in conversations and tell stories of how awkward he had been when he was a teenager, and Gerard had enjoyed seeing it, even despite the teasing that it had caused. He had enjoyed watching her relax more and more as the evening had gone on.

Isla, who’d moved to stifle a soft yawn in her hand, rolled her eyes. “I’m sure she’ll cope” she mused “I mean, if anything, I think a small part of her will be relieved. I’ve lost count of the amount of times that she’s yelled at me for being in the bathroom too long in the morning” she added.

Gerard smirked. “You do tend to take your time” he quipped.

Isla merely offered him a small glare, something which made Gerard chuckle before he leant over, pressing a playful kiss against her cheek. “You know that you think I’m cute really” he teased quietly.

Isla quirked an eyebrow, a faint playful smile tugging at the corner of her mouth. “I do?” she asked “I know I think you’re pretty annoying at times, but cute? I don’t know” she teased.

Gerard scoffed, but couldn’t keep his grin away from his lips, something which made Isla grin back at him before he shook his head, moving to push the car door open. “Are you coming in or not?” he asked, closing his door with a soft thump.

Isla grinned to herself for a second, watching as he padded up the path, before she followed after him, stopping on the doorstep ahead of him. Reaching a hand up, she gently placed it at the back of his neck before she tugged him down into a soft kiss, something which caused Gerard to let out a small sound in surprise before he pulled away, a slightly bashful smile playing at the corner of his mouth. “What was that for?” he asked quietly.

Isla shrugged nonchalantly. “I felt like kissing you” she mused “I mean, if you’d rather I didn’t...” her words trailed off with a small surprised squeak as Gerard leant into her, pressing a firm kiss against her lips. Quirking a small smile, she allowed the kiss to last for a few seconds before she gently pulled away from him, a light hint of pink growing across her cheeks.

Gerard marveled at her for a few seconds, admiring the pink on her cheeks, before he gently shifted his hand, taking a hold of hers. “You want to come in?” he asked quietly “I mean, you’re coming in anyway, of course you are, I just...”

“I’d love to” Isla interrupted gently.

Gerard, who’d been trying to think of the right thing to say, blinked a couple of times at her interruption. “What?” he spluttered.

“I’d love to” Isla repeated quietly.

Gerard’s forehead furrowed. “Are you sure?” he asked.

Isla let out a laugh. “Are you trying to talk me out of it?” she asked.

Gerard shook his head quickly. “Of course not” he spluttered.

Isla smiled, amused by the tone of his voice, before she glanced down at their hands. Fidgeting with his fingers, she was quiet for a few seconds, before she tugged on his hand, gently pushing the front door open before she pulled him inside, knocking it closed again with a dull thump.

~#~
Resting back against the headboard of his bed, Gerard smiled softly to himself, his ears filled with the distant sound of Isla padding around his bathroom. He hadn’t been able to stop smiling, since Isla had ducked out of bed a few minutes earlier, he hadn’t been able to stop himself from grinning, and he doubted that it was going to change any time soon, even if there was a small sensation of doubt in the pit of his stomach, it was trumped easily by the feeling of giddiness.

He worried that things would change, before they’d been intimate, there had been the sense that if things ended, they could always simply go back to being friends, and he worried that that would change after the night that they’d had, but he wanted to put it to the back of his mind, wanting instead to enjoy the moment.

Scratching his jaw softly, he quirked another smile to himself before the sound of footsteps reached his ears, something which caused him to look up, a bashful laugh falling out of his mouth as his stare landed on Isla.

Isla, who’d been trying to fix her slightly messy hair, blushed at the sound of his laugh. “What are you laughing at?” she asked.

Gerard shook his head. “Nothing” he mused “You look nice” he added, gesturing to the t-shirt that she wore.

Isla looked down at it before she shook her head, a bashful smile pulling at the corner of her lips. “My overnight bag is in the back of your car” she mused “And I didn’t really want to have to get dressed again to go and get it. You don’t mind me wearing this, do you?” she asked, shyly messing with the bottom of the t-shirt.

Gerard quirked a smirk, briefly contemplating making a joke, before he shook his head, his smirk softening slightly. “I like it on you” he mused “I mean, I kind of liked how you looked when you went into the bathroom wearing that sheet, but this is probably a close second” he added.

Isla let out a bashful laugh, the blush on her cheeks darkening a shade.

Gerard watched her amusedly before he lifted his hand, offering it out towards her.

Isla eyed it hesitantly for a few seconds before she placed her hand into it, allowing him to tug her towards the side of the bed before she sat down, tucking her legs beneath herself.

Gerard merely stared at her for a few seconds, admiring her quietly, before he lifted his other hand, brushing her hair away from her cheeks. “I’ve seen you naked” he announced quietly.

Isla, who’d been messing with his fingers, let out a laugh. “Is that supposed to make me feel less awkward?” she asked, peeking at him through her eyelashes.

Gerard shrugged, a boyish smirk on his face. “It made you laugh, didn’t it?” he commented.

Isla rolled her eyes, but couldn’t stop herself smiling, something which made the smile of Gerard’s face soften a little. “You really are an idiot, aren’t you?” she asked.

“You still say it like that’s such a surprise to you” Gerard quipped “Like you keep forgetting it” he added.

Isla merely smiled at him shyly, something which encouraged Gerard to lean up, brushing his lips over hers gently before he leant back slightly, resting his forehead against hers. “I love you” he mumbled softly.

Isla glanced at him, briefly contemplating making a joke, before she brushed another kiss over his lips. “I love you too” she mused.

Gerard quirked a small smile, still a little awed that they said that to one another, before he tilted his head, gesturing to the empty spot in the bed next to him. “You want to get some sleep?” he asked “I mean, I am totally ready for cuddling” he added.

Isla let out another laugh before climbed over him, slipping beneath the duvet. “You’re such a dork” she mused as she cuddled up to her pillow.

Gerard settled behind her, his arm happily wrapping around her waist. “You in love with a dork then” he chirped, kissing the top of her head gently.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to FootieJo for the comment :)