If It Gave Us Time

39: There Are Worse Ideas

Gently pushing Gerard’s dark hair back off of his forehead, Isla smiled shyly to herself, her blue eyes watching as his expression twitched in his sleep. It was early, with her alarm having yet to sound, she knew that she had woken up a little earlier than she was used to, but she didn’t mind, even if she didn’t have anything scheduled for that morning. A small part of her grateful for the chance to merely look at Gerard, still a little in awe of what had happened between them the night before. Feeling her cheeks blush bashfully at the thought of the previous night, she lightly trailed her fingertips down the side of his face, before she bit down on her lip, trying to stifle the soft smile which itched to spread across her face.

“You know I know that you’re staring, right?”

Isla blinked a couple of times, surprised by Gerard’s voice, before she shook her head, a shy laugh tumbling out of her mouth. “Can you blame me?” she asked “I mean, you’re not entirely hideous. If anything, you’re pretty OK to look at” she added, her voice caught between unsure and teasing.

Gerard, who’d been stifling a yawn into his hand, smirked a little. “Not entirely hideous” he repeated “That might be the nicest thing you’ve ever said to me” he added, playing along.

Isla laughed, something which made Gerard’s smirk soften a little before he lifted his hand, gently pushing a few messy hairs behind her ear. “You OK?” he asked quietly.

Isla hesitated for a second, mulling over the question, before she gently nodded her head. “I’m good” she mused “In fact, I’m probably a little better than good” she added, her eyes meeting his for a split second before she diverted her stare down towards the duvet, her lips quirking upwards into another shy smile.

Gerard marveled at her for a second before he carefully traced his hand over the side of her face, settling it at the back of her neck. Brushing his thumb over her skin, he coaxed her stare back up to him before he ducked forwards slightly, brushing his lips over hers. Isla stilled slightly, surprised by the soft kiss, before she leant into it a little more, kissing him softly for a few seconds before the sound of a phone vibrating reached her, causing her to pull back before she turned over, glancing at her phone which sat on the nightstand.

“You don’t really have to answer it, do you?” Gerard mumbled as he leant forwards, kissing her shoulder softly “I mean, we’re having a moment. Do you really want to ruin it?” he added.

Isla, who’d moved to pick the phone up, rolled her eyes, her elbow gently nudging his ribs. “It’s my mama” she mused “And it’s pretty early. It could be important” she added.

Gerard merely shrugged, pressing a series of soft kisses against the side of her neck. “It’s up to you” he mused “You can either lay here and kiss me, or you can...” he trailed off as Isla placed the phone against her ear, greeting her mother quietly. Rolling his eyes slightly, he pulled out of their embrace before he rolled onto his back, watching as Isla shuffled to her feet.

Tucking an arm beneath his head, he watched her walk around the room on the phone for a moment before he stood up, stepping towards where she stood so that he could wrap his arms around her waist. Smirking, he felt her jump a little before he tilted his head, pressing a soft kiss against the corner of her jaw.

Isla messed with his hands for a second, listening to what her mother was saying, before she shook her head, a slightly frustrated sigh falling out of her mouth. “I’m fine, mama” she mused “I told you I had plans with Gerard last night and that I would probably stay at his place overnight. We’ve only just woken up” she explained.

Gerard, who’d moved to place a kiss against her shoulder, frowned a little, catching snippets of Eva’s voice before Isla shook her head again. “It’s one dinner, mama” she complained “I’ve not missed one in ages. I am sure that you can cut me a little slack. I know it’s important, and I know that it means a lot to you and papa, but it was just one. I’ll be there next week” she insisted.

Gerard merely hugged her a little tighter, trying to encourage her to relax a little. He knew that it was a common occurrence, even when they’d been younger, Eva and Isla had had a tendency to get on one another’s nerves, and he wanted to calm her down, not wanting her to say something which she’d regret or would upset her mother. Eva cared, for as long as Gerard could remember, Isla’s mother had had a tendency to get too involved in both Isla and Rodrigo’s lives, but Gerard knew that she only did it because she meant well. She wanted to see her children happy, she wanted to see them fall in love and find success, but she also wanted to be a part of their lives, even if it was just one dinner a week. She wanted to keep her children close.

Isla’s body relaxed a little into the hug before she turned her head, offering him a slight smile over her shoulder. “I’ll be there next week, mama, I promise” she mumbled “You never know, I might even bring my boyfriend” she added, playfully stressing the word ‘boyfriend’.

Gerard grinned. “Boyfriend?” he teased quietly,

Isla grinned at him over her shoulder before she said a quiet goodbye to her mother, tossing the phone back onto the mattress. “I’m sorry about that” she mumbled “It’s been happening a little more recently. I think I am starting to get under her feet” she added sheepishly.

“Has she said something?” Gerard asked.

Isla shrugged. “Not in so many words” she mused “I mean, she likes having me at home, but at the same time, it’s like being a teenager again. I love her, and I know that she just cares, but being back there’s been a little harder than I thought it would be. I don’t regret leaving Luna’s, but the sooner I get together some money, the better” she explained carefully.

Gerard nodded his head slowly before he stepped forwards, wrapping her in a warm hug that Isla didn’t hesitate in returning, her hands gently gripping at his t-shirt. “You could always split your time between here and there” he murmured.

Isla leant back slightly, a furrow in her forehead. “What?” she asked.

Gerard shrugged, a slightly bashful smile on his face. “I know we’re not taking moving in together seriously right now” he mused “And honestly? I think right now that that’s probably for the best, but there’s nothing to say that we can’t start testing it out. Maybe we move in a few of your things, you spend half of the week here and half with your parents, and we just see how it goes?” he suggested tentatively.

Isla stared up at him for a few seconds, mulling over his words, before she tilted her head. “You really wanted to do that?” she asked.

Gerard shrugged. “I kind of like you being here” he mused “And it’s a lot less pressure than you moving in properly right away. We can take our time with it, move things along as quickly or as slowly as we want, and it gets you out from under your parents’ feet for some of the time. I mean, it could be a disaster, and if it is, we’ll figure that out, but I think it’s a pretty good idea. You don’t?” he pressed.

Isla shrugged, a playful smile flitting around her lips. “There are worse ideas” she mused teasingly.

Gerard rolled his eyes. “Lala...”

“We could give it a shot” Isla interrupted, cutting off what she was sure would be him complaining about her not taking him seriously “But it doesn’t mean that I am going to stop looking for a place of my own. I mean, I want us to move in together eventually, I really do, but I don’t want it to be just because I don’t have another option. If we’re going to do it, I want it to be because we’re so crazy about one another that we want to, and are ready to, take that step together” she added, her fingers gently fidgeting with the bottom of his t-shirt.

Gerard watched her fingers for a second before he leant forwards, kissing her forehead sweetly. “I am crazy about you” he mumbled “But I get what you’re saying and if that’s what you want, then OK” he added.

Isla grinned goofily. “You’re crazy about me?” she fussed.

Gerard laughed. “Always have been” he mused “Even during all of the stupid fights, and all the terrible boyfriends you had when we were teenagers, I was always crazy about you. I should have told you that” he added, his voice softening a little.

Isla’s smile softened before she reached her hand up to the back of his neck, tugging him down into a soft kiss. “You’ve told me now” she mumbled between kisses.

Gerard smiled into the kiss, holding her close for a few seconds longer than Isla had expected, before he leant up, kissing the side of her nose softly. “Are we going to do this?” he mumbled quietly, brushing a soft kiss over her forehead.

Isla closed her eyes at the feel of his lips before she nodded slightly. “What’s the worst that could happen?” she mumbled.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to FootieJo for the comment :)