If It Gave Us Time

49: Cold Feet

“Are you sure that I am not an imposition on you, Gerard?” Luna asked as she stepped into the defender’s home, her eyes glancing back at him as he gently pushed the front door closed. It hadn’t originally been the plan, with Luna’s wedding scheduled for the next day, it had originally been arranged that she and Isla would spend the night at Isla’s parents’ home, but with the blonde having moved in with Gerard, the venue had shifted, something Luna wanted to ensure Gerard didn’t mind, not wanting him to feel uncomfortable in his own home.

They got on well, since they’d met through Isla, a friendship had been quick to flourish between the two of them, but still she wanted to make sure that he didn’t mind her being there, even if it was just one night. She could still remember how awkward they’d been around one another in the morning when Gerard had spent the night at the apartment that she and Isla had shared.

Gerard, who’d turned away from the door, quirked a small smile before he shook his head. “You’re not an imposition” he noted “And besides, even if I thought you were, Isla would still let you stay, regardless of what I said. She’s pretty excited about tomorrow” he added.

Luna smiled. “I know she is” she mused “She might actually be more excited than I am” she added, playfully rolling her eyes.

Gerard shrugged before he stepped past Luna, guiding her through towards the kitchen. “She’s always liked a wedding” he mused “And it’s not every day that her best friend gets married. I think her excitement is probably a sign that she’s happy for you. It’s probably a good thing” he added as he stepped across the room, greeting Isla with a soft kiss on the cheek that made her face light up with a soft smile.

Luna watched the two of them for a second before she shook her head, smiling a little to herself. “I hate to ruin the moment” she mused “But is one of you going to show me to the spare bedroom? I’ve got a bag that I want to put up there, should you two be able to stop making eyes at each other for a few seconds” she teased.

Isla scoffed playfully, pulling her stare away from Gerard who’d been stood beside her, mumbling quietly in her ear. “You act like I’ve not spent a load of time watching you and Evan be all cute around each other” she quipped.

Luna shrugged nonchalantly. “I never said you hadn’t” she mused “I just want someone to show me to my room. Can you spare a few seconds or not?” she chirped with a grin.

Isla smiled before she nodded her head. “Of course” she replied “Gerard...”

“I won’t let anything burn” Gerard interrupted impishly.

Isla rolled her eyes before she stepped across the room, leading Luna out of it and towards the stairs.

Luna followed her before she quirked a small smile. “I’ve really been looking forwards to this, you know?” she mused “I mean, don’t get me wrong, I love living with Evan, but it’s been forever since we had a night together, just me and you” she added.

“And Gerard” Isla replied, leading her towards the spare bedroom.

Luna scoffed out a laugh. “And Gerard” she agreed.

~#~
“So, is everything ready for tomorrow, Luna?” Gerard asked politely as he sipped on his drink, his blue eyes peeking across at the woman who sat on the couch beside him, quietly swirling the last of her wine around the bottom of the glass. She had been quiet, after she’d reemerged from the guest room that Isla had shown her to, she had only really spoken when she’d been spoken too, and it had made things a little awkward, even if Gerard was sure that it wasn’t intentional. Her being quiet had led to a few slightly uncomfortable lulls in conversation that either he or Isla had tried their best to fill.

Luna looked up at the sound of her name. “Huh?” she asked,

“Have you got everything ready for tomorrow?” Gerard repeated.

Luna nodded her head slowly. “I think so” she mused “I mean, Evan’s mother took the lead on most of it, so she’s probably the one you ought to ask. She never really asked for my help to plan my own wedding” she added, her voice caught between playful and bitter.

Gerard frowned a little, but didn’t say anything, something which made Luna shake her head, a soft sigh falling out of her mouth. “Sorry” she mumbled “That probably sounded really bitter and it shouldn’t have done. Evan’s mother is excited, she’s always liked me, so when he proposed, she was over the moon and insisted on being involved in every decision that we made. She’s just a little...overbearing and sometimes her input didn’t line up with mine, but we went with hers so that she wouldn’t be upset. Some parts of it feel more like her wedding than mine” she added.

“You’re not excited?” Gerard prodded.

Luna shrugged. “Not as excited as everyone else is” she mused “I guess it’s nerves, though. I mean, cold feet are natural, right?” she asked, meeting his eyes in hope that he’d offer her a little reassurance.

Gerard held her stare for a second, trying his hardest to think of the right thing to say, before he noticed Luna leaning into him, something which caused him to spring out of his seat, a slightly panicked expression on his face.

Luna flinched, surprised by his sudden movement, before she shook her head, her cheeks burning red. “Gerard, I...”

Gerard shook his head, cutting her off. “It’s fine” he mumbled “I mean, nothing happened, right?” he added, trying, and failing, to push something more than a forced, uncomfortable smile onto his lips.

Luna sighed. “I wouldn’t have....”

“You didn’t” Gerard interrupted “It’s nothing, Luna, honestly. You’re just nervous. Cold feet, right?” he prodded.

Luna nodded slowly before she opened her mouth to speak again, only to be cut off as Isla stepped back into the room, a bowl of ice-cream clutched in her hands. “Are you two sure that you didn’t want any of this?” she asked “It’s delicious” she gushed before she looked up, her eyebrows furrowing as she studied the scene ahead of her.

Gerard watched her forehead furrow, something which caused his breathing to hitch slightly before she shook her head. “Everything OK?” Isla asked.

“Fine” Luna replied quickly, a little too quickly “I’m just...uh...I am going to go and get an early night. I’ll see you two in the morning” she added before she practically ran out of the room.

Isla frowned after her before she turned to Gerard. “Is she Ok?” she asked.

Gerard nodded. “I think she’s just nervous” he noted “I mean, tomorrow’s a big day for her, and I wouldn’t blame her for being nervous. It’s not every you get married, is it?” he asked, trying to keep his tone as even and calm as he could.

Isla’s eyes narrowed a fraction, not missing that there was something slightly off with him, before she nodded her head gently. “I wouldn’t blame her for being nervous either” she mused “I mean, she’s definitely the more confident out of the two of us, but it’s a huge deal. I imagine when I get married, I’ll spend most of the night before throwing up” she quipped.

Gerard smiled. “I bet you’ll still look beautiful” he noted.

“Obviously” Isla teased, earning a small laugh from him before he stepped towards her, wrapping her in a tight hug as he felt the knot in his stomach twist a little. It wasn’t anything, Luna had merely leant into him a little and he’d gotten out of it before it’d had a chance to become something more, but still it made him uncomfortable, even if it was a nothing moment, and he didn’t know what to do about it, not sure if it was something worth upsetting Isla with.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to FootieJo for the comment :)