If It Gave Us Time

50: It Was Nothing

Carefully tracing his fingertips over Isla’s face, Gerard neatly tucked some of her hair behind her ear, a small smile tweaking the corner of his lips despite the knot in his stomach. He hadn’t been able to get rid of it, despite the fact that nothing had really happened between him and Luna, he hadn’t been able to shift the feeling of discomfort in the pit of his stomach since it’d happened, and he knew that it meant that he had to tell her, even if there wasn’t really anything to tell. He knew that admitting it himself would be a lot better than Isla finding out some other way. He knew that Luna hadn’t meant anything by it, with her wedding the following day, he was sure that she had just been confused or nervous, and he didn’t want to let the issue linger, not wanting things between him and Luna to become uncomfortable enough that Isla noticed.

Ghosting his fingertips over her cheek, he watched her nose wrinkle slightly in her sleep before he leant forwards, brushing the softest of kisses against her forehead. “Lala?” he murmured softly.

Isla stirred a little at the sound of her name before she blinked her eyes open, a slow smile spreading across her features. “You’re awake before me?” she quipped through a yawn.

Gerard shrugged, smiling as he best could. “It happens sometimes” he noted “Besides, it’s not like you’re going to get much more sleep. Aren’t you supposed to take Luna to the hotel soon to start getting ready?” he pressed as he settled his hand against her neck, his thumb softly tracing a line up and down.

Isla rolled her eyes playfully. “When I get married, it’s going to be so small” she mused “No hotels, no big fuss, just me and my fiancé and our families” she added.

“Sounds good” Gerard chirped, smirking at her slightly.

Isla grinned at him for a second, leaning into his hand, before she shook her head, allowing another soft yawn to fall out of her mouth. “I should probably get up” she mumbled “Someone’s got to go and make sure that Luna didn’t bolt it during the night. She was so weird last night” she added as she reached for the corner of the duvet, pulling it away from herself.

Gerard watched her quietly before he shook his head, his hand pushing back through his hair. “She tried to kiss me” he announced quietly.

Isla, who’d moved to stand up, stilled for a second before she stiffly lifted her head, staring down at him. “What?” she asked.

“Luna” Gerard replied “We were talking last night, about the wedding and stuff, and she was kind of upset. She...uh...she tried to kiss me, but I swear to you, I got up as soon as I caught what was going on. It wasn’t anything, Lala, but I just thought I should tell you. It was nothing, I promise you” he added as he reached for her hand.

Isla pulled back slightly, a slack expression on her face.

“Lala...”

“You didn’t kiss?” Isla pressed quietly, her eyes fixed on the duvet cover.

Gerard shook his head. “She leant in a little and I got up” he noted “It was nothing, Lala. She just...I think she had cold feet and I was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. I doubt she’s fallen for my charms” he joked, trying to lighten the mood slightly.

Isla merely offered him a look, something which made Gerard shake his head before he shuffled across the bed, sitting down on the edge of the mattress ahead of her. Reaching his hands out, he took a hold of both of hers before he ducked his head, kissing them softly. “It was nothing” He mumbled, punctuating each word with a soft kiss.

Isla looked down at him, keeping quiet for a few seconds longer, before she shook her head, a small smile tweaking the corner of her lips. “You’re not that charming” she teased halfheartedly.

Gerard shook his head. “Isla...”

“I know you both” Isla interrupted gently “And I know that neither one of you would want to hurt me, but it does hurt, Ok? I know it was nothing, and I know that, any other time, Luna wouldn’t look at you twice, but she did, Geri, and if you hadn’t had the wherewithal to get up before it went too far, then we’d be sitting here talking about how my best friend had kissed my boyfriend. I know it was nothing, I can see it in your eyes, but it’s still something to me and I just...I need to get my head around it, OK?” she asked, struggling for the right words to say.

She knew that he was being honest with her, having known him for as long as she had, she knew all of the tells he had when he was lying and she couldn’t see them in him then, but still it stuck in her throat slightly, even if she was certain that it wasn’t more than he what he was telling her. The idea that he and Luna had been anywhere near to kissing was something which got to her.

Gerard squeezed her hands softly. “Ok” he mused, placing another kiss against the back of them.

Isla smiled at him halfheartedly.

“You still want me to come today?” Gerard asked quietly “I mean, if you’d rather I didn’t...” he trailed off as he spotted Luna in the doorway.

Isla noticed his stare drifting past her before she turned around, her eyes settling on Luna who shook her head, glancing down at her feet shyly. “He told you about last night?” she asked quietly.

Isla just nodded, quickly diverting her stare towards the floor.

“Isla...”

“Don’t” Isla interrupted “I just...can we not talk about it right now?” she spluttered out.

Luna blinked a couple of times, surprised by the interruption, before she nodded slowly. “OK” she mused “I just...we need to...” she stumbled out.

“I know” Isla replied “I need maybe twenty minutes to get showered and dressed and then we can go. Is that alright?” she asked, not making any kind of attempt to look at Luna.

Luna nodded. “Sure” she confirmed “I need some time too. I’ll meet you downstairs in a bit?” she asked.

Isla nodded stiffly, something which caused Luna to spare a look towards Gerard before she stepped out of the room, sighing gently to herself.

Isla watched her out of the door before she turned back to Gerard, shaking her head gently. “I’m going to...” she trailed off, gesturing towards the bathroom.

Gerard nodded. “Do you still want me to come today?” he asked again “I mean...”

“I’m not showing up without you” Isla replied “My mother wouldn’t shut up about it if I did. The ceremony starts at two, you should be at the hotel maybe half an hour before that” she added without looking at him before she stepped into the bathroom, pulling the door closed with a soft thump behind her.

Gerard stared at the closed door for a second before he sighed quietly to himself, hoping that he had done the right thing in telling her.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to FootieJo for the comment :)